kallend

Arizona tries to legalize discrimination

champu

***Sexual perversion is sexual perversion... ...everyone should have the right and freedom not to be subjected to what is considered a vile sin to them.

You're going to need to define "subjected to".

It must be those StarFucks Coffee shops where the gay boys throw each other down and anally do each other right there while waiting for their latte. Now I guess if it was a straight dude anally doing his girlfriend.. its all just fine.

kallend

I love it when the bigots out themselves.

Because every person who doesn't agree with your liberal agenda is a bigot to you. Instead of trying to find what a person is made of you simply slap a label on them.

Sounds just like a redneck calling someone who doesn't dress like them a FAG.

Your liberal hypocrisy knows no bounds.

kallend

me too kallend you posted this link and your against the rights of those whose rights are being trampled on. Forcing someone to service someone they believe are immoral is the bigotry here. Your logic is so complexly flawed you don't even see it. Your pointing fingers and calling names demanding to take away the rights of those that do not agree with your agenda. Pretty easy to see who the bigot is.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

me too kallend you posted this link and your against the rights of those whose rights are being trampled on. Forcing someone to service someone they believe are immoral is the bigotry here. Your logic is so complexly flawed you don't even see it. Your pointing fingers and calling names demanding to take away the rights of those that do not agree with your agenda. Pretty easy to see who the bigot is.

Can I just check something here:

Are you OK with businesses refusing to serve Christians, or Jews, or heterosexuals, or interacial couples, for instance?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

Are you OK with businesses refusing to serve Christians, or Jews, or heterosexuals, or interacial couples, for instance?

I don't mind answering. Yes.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Lefty

***Are you OK with businesses refusing to serve Christians, or Jews, or heterosexuals, or interacial couples, for instance?

How about people carrying guns?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't think he's saying that he'd do it, but that, as a libertarian, he doesn't think the gummint should dictate rules for choosing customers.

People tend to abuse power; when there's a power differential, then I kind of think that the gummint does have to make sure that the power isn't abused in such a way as to enforce that status quo. Because if it is enforced, then there really isn't a way for people to rise.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

quade

******Are you OK with businesses refusing to serve Christians, or Jews, or heterosexuals, or interacial couples, for instance?

How about people carrying guns?

Yes.
-Calvin

Stumpy

******Are you OK with businesses refusing to serve Christians, or Jews, or heterosexuals, or interacial couples, for instance?

And now we see why racism is alive and well.

Swing and a miss! Try to keep your knee from jerking next time.
-Calvin

wmw999

I don't think he's saying that he'd do it, but that, as a libertarian, he doesn't think the gummint should dictate rules for choosing customers.

Wendy gets it.

People tend to abuse power; when there's a power differential, then I kind of think that the gummint does have to make sure that the power isn't abused in such a way as to enforce that status quo. Because if it is enforced, then there really isn't a way for people to rise.

But these business owners have no power. Government has power and, as this bill demonstrates, they aren't very good custodians of it. Look at the outpouring of resistance to this idiotic move by the legislature. These businesses want to stay open and serve ALL customers even when the government says they can turn gays away.
-Calvin

I appreciate what he is saying, however if it was, say, a bus company that decided it didn't want to serve customers, well I am sure you see where I am going with this. If "libertarian" means "ok with institutional racism" then it's not OK.

Agree.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

I appreciate what he is saying, however if it was, say, a bus company that decided it didn't want to serve customers, well I am sure you see where I am going with this. If "libertarian" means "ok with institutional racism" then it's not OK.

So why not just say that instead of going off into left field and acting like you totally missed the point with "racism is alive and well"?

And libertarian does not mean "institutional racism". It means a business is an extension of the owner's property, and the owner can dispose of it how he/she wishes. Look at Takei's blog post. It features a picture of a business stating that it reserves the right to refuse service to AZ legislators. Are you going to tell that business that it has to serve those idiots after what they've done?
-Calvin

Lefty

***Are you OK with businesses refusing to serve Christians, or Jews, or heterosexuals, or interacial couples, for instance?

I love it when bigots out themselves.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Lefty

***People tend to abuse power; when there's a power differential, then I kind of think that the gummint does have to make sure that the power isn't abused in such a way as to enforce that status quo. Because if it is enforced, then there really isn't a way for people to rise.

But these business owners have no power.

Of course they do. They have the economic and political power to monopolize certain essential services, and effectively deny or restrict such essential services to entire segments of society based on nothing more than ethnicity. Recognition of that core reality was the policy underpinning the US's Civil Rights Act in the 1960s (and related federal court decisions of the same time period) which prohibited businesses such as restaurants, hotels, bus companies, etc. from discriminating against ethnic classes of potential customers. That was just the first generation of such laws. Laws prohibiting discrimination against homosexuals are the next generation of laws, but they have the same policy foundation.

Sorry, but in the US, the argument "I can refuse service to whomever I want" was consumed on the funeral pyres of the law almost 50 years ago.

kallend

And I love it when the most intellectually lazy academic in the world comes to an Internet forum thinking he has a captive audience of students who have to laugh at his jokes, praise his brilliance, and kiss his shriveled, anemic ass.

You want to have a discussion, fine. We can talk all day. You want to play the coward and imply that those who disagree with you, specifically me, are bigots or racists, then I'm sorry but you'll be biting off more than you can chew.
-Calvin

Lefty

*********Are you OK with businesses refusing to serve Christians, or Jews, or heterosexuals, or interacial couples, for instance?

And I love it when the most intellectually lazy academic in the world comes to an Internet forum thinking he has a captive audience of students who have to laugh at his jokes, praise his brilliance, and kiss his shriveled, anemic ass.

You want to have a discussion, fine. We can talk all day. You want to play the coward and imply that those who disagree with you, specifically me, are bigots or racists, then I'm sorry but you'll be biting off more than you can chew.

No need for a discussion - all I did was give the name to what you already admitted.

If it waddles like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Andy9o8

Of course they do. They have the economic and political power to monopolize certain essential services, and effectively deny or restrict such essential services to entire segments of society based on nothing more than ethnicity. Recognition of that core reality was the policy underpinning the US's Civil Rights Act in the 1960s (and related federal court decisions of the same time period) which prohibited businesses such as restaurants, hotels, bus companies, etc. from discriminating against ethnic classes of potential customers. That was just the first generation of such laws. Laws prohibiting discrimination against homosexuals are the next generation of laws, but they have the same policy foundation.

Sorry, but in the US, the argument "I can refuse service to whomever I want" was consumed on the funeral pyres of the law almost 50 years ago.

From whence does this political power come? I'd like to think things have changed for the better since the civil rights movement. Now, when government tries to treat a minority unfairly it is met with overwhelming condemnation.
-Calvin

kallend

No need for a discussion - all I did was give the name to what you already admitted.

If it waddles like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

As I suspected. More small, silly thoughts from a small, silly man. I'd be embarrassed for you, but that would be as useless a sentiment as being embarrassed for a pig rolling in its own excrement. It doesn't take long to see that's just what pigs do.

I went to a friend's coming-out party just three weeks ago to show support for her and her partner. I would not patronize any business that refused to serve her due to her sexual orientation. I would not patronize any business that refused to serve whites. Or blacks. Judging by the response the AZ and KS bills have received from the American people, I can see I'm not alone.
-Calvin

Lefty

Judging by the response the AZ and KS bills have received from the American people, I can see I'm not alone.

Also not alone; members of the KKK, Arian Brotherhood, Taliban.

Just because a person belongs to a group, doesn't mean that group is right.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Judging by the response the AZ and KS bills have received from the American people, I can see I'm not alone.

Also not alone; members of the KKK.

Just because you belong to a group, doesn't mean that group is right.

Indeed. But I'll just keep on erring on the side against bigotry and hope for the best.
-Calvin