skinnay

God works in mysterious ways

But... but..... GOD created man in his image... and since Jesus was his son.... and one of those swarthy Mediterranean Near Eastern types... just think how surprised some of our less than accepting of diversity posters are going to be...:ph34r:

I believe in faith healing. I also believe in faith physicians. This is an example of people trying to put God in a box and limiting what He can and will do.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The family are third-generation members of northeast Philadelphia’s First Century Gospel Church, which teaches it is a sin to call on the help of a doctor.

Three generations, huh... Well, I guess now we know how long it takes to select against that.

RonD1120

I believe in faith healing.

I believe in psychology affecting health.
I believe in the placebo effect.

In that context, I can agree with you - the reason why a person finds ways to heal themselves doesn't have to be rational. In fact, it can be quite powerful.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***I believe in faith healing.

I believe in psychology affecting health.
I believe in the placebo effect.

In that context, I can agree with you - the reason why a person finds ways to heal themselves doesn't have to be rational. In fact, it can be quite powerful.

Considering the placebo has been just as succesful as the most used migraine drug, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/migraine-headaches-and-remarkable-power-placebos-180949284/

skinnay

***I believe in faith healing. I also believe in faith physicians. This is an example of people trying to put God in a box and limiting what He can and will do.

Are you suggesting that a person can limit God's power?

No, I am suggesting that some folks think that God only operates in their concepts. People that deny the use of Christian physicians are denying God's grace and mercy in the field of medicine.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

wmw999

An old analogy often used in sermons. One that I like as well. Another one of my favorite illustrations, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed you can move a mountain. But, you better show up with a shovel.

Or, as James stated, faith without works is dead.

RonD1120

******I believe in faith healing. I also believe in faith physicians. This is an example of people trying to put God in a box and limiting what He can and will do.

Are you suggesting that a person can limit God's power?

No, I am suggesting that some folks think that God only operates in their concepts.

A large number of Christians think exactly that. Both Catholics and fundamentalists come immediately to mind.

(And in the interest of fairness, fundamentalist Muslims also come to mind).

I give a pass to ultra orthodox Jews, who for the most part don't try to impose their views on others (except in the occupied territories).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

SkyDekker

Considering the placebo has been just as succesful as the most used migraine drug, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

The placebo effect is a strong one. I'd wager that prayer healing is just about as good.

If, however, you have a condition (like bacterial pneumonia) for which there are drugs that have been proven effective in placebo-controlled trials (like azithromycin) and you choose prayer healing over said medication then you're an obstinate jack-ass.

As I've mentioned in the past here, and have been chided for, I'm really not quick to care about other people who let their children die because of their beliefs. Unfortunately in this case, according to the article, they have seven kids that have made it, so whatever genes allowed them to make such idiotic decisions are probably out there alive and well.

Amazon

But... but..... GOD created man in his image... and since Jesus was his son.... and one of those swarthy Mediterranean Near Eastern types... just think how surprised some of our less than accepting of diversity posters are going to be...:ph34r:

God created man in his image, Jesus was a man, some men are gay. QED, Jesus had some gay in him.
cavete terrae.

grue

God created man in his image, Jesus was a man, some men are gay. QED, Jesus had some gay in him.

That whole apostle thing....

Amazon

That whole apostle thing....

"Peter, darling? Can you get me some flats? These spikes are killing me"
cavete terrae.

All the faith in the world has yet to restore a single amputated limb

Do you believe in God? If so then you'd know that people can see who your are.

I believe in faith healing. I also believe in faith physicians. This is an example of people trying to put God in a box and limiting what He can and will do

I believe all of these things as well Ron. And this is just a 1 in a million guess. People are rude to each other, sometimes to the point where it's borderline Harassment.

Best-
Richard

RonD1120

No, I am suggesting that some folks think that God only operates in their concepts. People that deny the use of Christian physicians are denying God's grace and mercy in the field of medicine.

Funny how God helps people through the acts of the medical doctors and the scientists that created life savings drugs and vaccines, yet he's only been doing that since the mid-20th century. People have been praying for such help for tens of thousands of years. Why now, after billions of people died in the past due to his lack of action? And why does he do it in a way that makes it look like those doctors and scientists were the ones that did it all on their own, without consulting any religious documents?

[Is there any evidence that, even theoretically, could disprove your God hypothesis?]

jclalor

***I believe in faith healing. I also believe in faith physicians. This is an example of people trying to put God in a box and limiting what He can and will do.

All the faith in the world has yet to restore a single amputated limb.

You have stated this on several occasions. Why would such feat be necessary? Think about all the Christians who design and manufacture prosthetics. What would they do to earn a living?

Divalent

***No, I am suggesting that some folks think that God only operates in their concepts. People that deny the use of Christian physicians are denying God's grace and mercy in the field of medicine.

Funny how God helps people through the acts of the medical doctors and the scientists that created life savings drugs and vaccines, yet he's only been doing that since the mid-20th century. People have been praying for such help for tens of thousands of years. Why now, after billions of people died in the past due to his lack of action? And why does he do it in a way that makes it look like those doctors and scientists were the ones that did it all on their own, without consulting any religious documents?

[Is there any evidence that, even theoretically, could disprove your God hypothesis?]

I don't understand your point in the first paragraph. As to the bracketed question, I don't propose a God hypothesis. My job is to proclaim the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. To that end I share personal experience of what the Lord has done in my life.