lawrocket

9th Circuit Strikes "Good Cause" Requirement for Licensed Carry of Handguns

Concealed carry permits issued in Chicago this last winter. "More guns less crime" was the cry.

Today the Chicago Sun-Times noted that“shootings each weekend for the last four weeks have risen steadily: 17, 19, 25” and now had set a record in the 30s."

The Chicago Police Chief stated: “While Chicago continues to see reductions in crime and violence, there’s obviously much more work to be done, and we continue to be challenged by lax state and federal gun laws.”

Yep.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Concealed carry permits issued in Chicago this last winter. "More guns less crime" was the cry.

Today the Chicago Sun-Times noted that“shootings each weekend for the last four weeks have risen steadily: 17, 19, 25” and now had set a record in the 30s."

being a scientist and all, sure you also have the numbers for issued CCWs as well as legal handgun purchases within Cook Co, and have also examined the weekend patterns for the past several years to establish a valid baseline? And then have examined (and waited for the data to emerge) the arrest reports for suspect for these crimes to determine if any of them were in fact CCW holders, or even legally eligible to be such?

Finally, it would be good for your study to explain why Chicago is so very different from the rest of the country where no correlation of CCWs to shootings has been found, rather than the most plausible explanation that you merely have a data outlier.

kallend

The Chicago Police Chief stated: “While Chicago continues to see reductions in crime and violence, there’s obviously much more work to be done, and we continue to be challenged by lax state and federal gun laws.”

Yep.

Bottom line, Chicago is not a good place to live or work.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

kallend

could you be relying on cherry-picked numbers?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/5/gun-advocates-credit-new-concealed-carry-laws-shar/

Chicago police are reporting that the murder rate for the first quarter of the year is the lowest it’s been in more than 50 years, which gun advocates are attributing to a concealed carry law passed in Illinois last year.
The first three months of 2014 have seen the fewest number of homicides since 1958 — six fewer than this time in 2013, and 55 fewer than this time in 2012, The Chicago Sun-Times reported.

so which is more statistically significant? The number of shootings on the weekend, or the number of shootings during the first quarter of the year?
--
Rob

RonD1120

Well, since this thread got bumped, here's an interesting bit in a letter from the Brady Campaign they sent in support of someone with the authority to do so intervening in the case. (you can see the whole letter at the case website I linked to in my last post.)

Brady Campaign

The Brady members will suffer injury if the panel’s decision is not reversed. Each member has a concrete and particularized apprehension of gun violence in public that will be increased and will materially affect his or her life if San Diegans are permitted to carry concealed and loaded guns without good cause.

The Brady members have clearly stated how the fear and risk is particular and personal to them... ...For example, one Brady member — who survived the mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado — declared that she “specifically reviewed the gun violence prevention laws of the places we considered moving to, including the concealed carry permitting procedure in San Diego County” and that she made her “decision to relocate to San Diego based in part on the County’s policy of requiring good cause to obtain a concealed weapons permit.” (Declaration of Jacqueline Keavney Lader.) She also attested that, now that she resides in San Diego, she “frequently visit(s) parks and other places in San Diego, such as beaches, health clubs, and grocery stores. This change in the law (due to the panel’s decision) will change where and when (she) visit(s) these places” and that she will “no longer go to some places because of (her) fear for (her) personal safety . . . due to the recent court decision.

So their argument amounts to...

People who want to exercise their right to carry a concealed weapon (by attending classes, passing a background check, filing with the sherriff's office, etc.) because they are concerned for their safety, regardless of how personal or concrete their concern is for wanting to do so, they should not have that course of action available to them because the very existence of that course of action, whether or not it is exercised, increases the Brady members' level of apprehension in such a way that they change their behavior.

...well if that isn't one hell of a can of worms.

kallend

Yep.

Your police chief contradicts you and the Sun-Times: Are shootings on the rise, or are there reductions? Someone's lying.

If lax gun laws are responsible for this, how come it's not happening everywhere else where those same lax gun laws are in effect? If that's what is responsible, then states with the most lax gun laws should have the highest crime rates, right? But that isn't true. So what's your explanation for this lack of correlation, that you're implying is responsible for Chicago's problems?

The latest from earlier this week: http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Peruta-v-San-Diego_Petition-for-Rehearing-or-Rehearing-En-Banc.pdf

Guy sues County. Court favors County. Guy appeals to 9th Circuit panel. Panel favors guy. County says "fine whatever." State AG says "what do you mean whatever?" State AG asks 9th circuit to rehear. Panel says, "You can't ask for that." State AG demands panel grant them permission to ask for rehearing. Panel says, "no really, piss-off, you can't wait until the defendant loses to decide you care." State AG appeals the decision on permission to ask the 9th circuit to review the reversal of the decision against guy. (...and then, of course if she still doesn't get her way, to appeal to the SCOTUS)

What's amusing to me is that in this latest argument presented by the California AG, she's arguing that the reason she should be allowed to involve her office in the case is that the ruling fundamentally alters the entire scheme of carry law in the state, and by doing so she is admitting that the whole point of the "good cause" requirement was to grant sheriffs the ability to summarily decline permit applications, which is the exact reason that the panel ruled it unconstitutional.

edited to add clarifying text

***...where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem."

I'm surprised to see this wording in the opinion since many rulings, particularly Castle Rock v. Gonzales state the police have no legal obligation to provide personal protection.

RonD1120

How many years have you ever lived in Chicago? What's the longest that you have visited Chicago.

I've lived in New York, Chicago and also many years an American "standard issue" Southern Hick Town where everyone loves Jesus, guns and fried food. Small town America is not a Norman Rockwell painting; it's more of an example of reverse Darwinism. In your average sub 10,000 population town, the best and brightest get out as soon as they can, leaving behind the detritus that builds up over generations.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

What is your point? I made that post last April in regard to something Kallend had posted. I don't remember my train of thought.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Grow's out of my disdain for those arguing points and holding dogmatic assumptions about topics they don't understand or places/cultures they've never visited or experienced first hand - along the same lines as your prior posts re "Foreigners" and Europe.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Boomerdog

Only because Chicago City Government, has either ignored or watered down the Heller and McDonald decisions.

Right, the mayor has special authority to reverse the Supreme Court.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Only because Chicago City Government, has either ignored or watered down the Heller and McDonald decisions.

Right, the mayor has special authority to reverse the Supreme Court.

He certainly seems to think so.

Chicago (the mayor and the city council) have tried to enact a large number of "reasonable restrictions" on their citizens with regards to gun ownership.

The two that come to mind are the ban on gun sales in the city (by licensed dealers) and the requirement for prospective gun owners to show proof of proficiency, but the ban on shooting ranges (no place to prove that proficiency).
Both of those have gone to court and been struck down.

http://cfif.org/v/index.php/commentary/42/2068-federal-court-overturns-yet-another-chicago-gun-law

Not exactly an unbiased site, but the facts are there and it's the first I could find with a quick search.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

sfzombie13

you got them mixed up, 3d is quartering soldiers, 7th is the jury trial. i could be wrong, but i checked my little book i leave beside the lamp for things like this.

:|

I knew that. I was just seeing if Lawrocket knew that. And yet he said nothing. For almost 10 months.
Doesn't he look silly now?