normiss

Thankfully, no death penalty!

normiss

DNA

Such a trustworthy system. Not.
Successful convictions, not truth.

This doesn't make the Death Penalty wrong, Normiss. It makes some reprehensible people on the LE community deserving of being thrown in prison for decades, themselves. There has to be much more penalties for such repugnant behavior by LE. Only then will such egregious instances of Injustice, cease.

PiLFy

This doesn't make the Death Penalty wrong, Normiss.

Yes, it does. Our system is so subject to error (by virtue of being filled with people) that if we have a death penalty then we are going to put innocent people to death. This is only the most recent example of that fallibility.

Maybe you consider that acceptable...
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

PiLFy

***DNA

Such a trustworthy system. Not.
Successful convictions, not truth.

This doesn't make the Death Penalty wrong, Normiss. It makes some reprehensible people on the LE community deserving of being thrown in prison for decades, themselves. There has to be much more penalties for such repugnant behavior by LE. Only then will such egregious instances of Injustice, cease.

Its all part of that control thing we are talking about. You do not really believe that LE is there to protect and serve do you???

Southern_Man

Yes, it does. Our system is so subject to error (by virtue of being filled with people) that if we have a death penalty then we are going to put innocent people to death. This is only the most recent example of that fallibility.

I've already said that I don't. What it means, is the burden of proof needs to be raised. It also means independent review of LE actions is necessary. The LE community howls whenever faced w/that, but too damned bad. If They weren't f'ing up. They wouldn't have brought it upon themselves.

PiLFy

"You do not really believe that LE is there to protect and serve do you???"

I've met good & bad in that regard. Police only have official power because society allows them to have it. If abused, we can & will take it back.

Rigggggghhhhht:D:D

PiLFy

I've already said that I don't. What it means, is the burden of proof needs to be raised. It also means independent review of LE actions is necessary. The LE community howls whenever faced w/that, but too damned bad. If They weren't f'ing up. They wouldn't have brought it upon themselves.

The burden of proof is "beyond a reasonable doubt." What do you propose to raise it to?

Amazon

***"You do not really believe that LE is there to protect and serve do you???"

I've met good & bad in that regard. Police only have official power because society allows them to have it. If abused, we can & will take it back.

You're a bright Gal, Amazon. Surely you don't think all People are Sheeple? An armed Populace has been keeping bad people from pulling too much crap for >200 years.

Southern_Man

The burden of proof is "beyond a reasonable doubt." What do you propose to raise it to?

DNA proof seems to be a good place to look. That, along w/systemic improvements I mentioned earlier.

PiLFy

******"You do not really believe that LE is there to protect and serve do you???"

You're a bright Gal, Amazon. Surely you don't think all People are Sheeple? An armed Populace has been keeping bad people from pulling too much crap for >200 years.

That will not work for a far better armed police state.

PiLFy

DNA proof seems to be a good place to look. That, along w/systemic improvements I mentioned earlier.

With all due respect, "beyond a reasonable doubt and with DNA" is not a legal standard. Remember the guilt/innocence phase of the trial is usually separate from the penalty phase, so any idea that there should be one standard of proof for guilt/innocence and another for the penalty phase, well I don't think that makes much sense.

I am in favor of a much less abusive police force but the judiciary is already supposed to serve as an independent check and review of their actions. In this case, it worked, sort of, 22 years too late. At least they weren't dead when the mistakes were realized.

Amazon

*********"You do not really believe that LE is there to protect and serve do you???"

Better armed than the US Military?? I seem to recall they've been having some difficulties over the past 13+ years. Those have been mainly in a sandbox environment. How many Fallujahs are in this Country, Amazon?

"With all due respect, "beyond a reasonable doubt and with DNA" is not a legal standard."

No disrespect taken. Beyond a reasonable doubt, & other levels of proof didn't exist before we created them. We did so in response to a broken & unfair system. Sounds like we're broken, again. We can codify new standards, no?

Those two Men suffered 21+yrs of prison, w/damage that will probably last the rest of their lives. I only hope they can sue the guilty jurisdiction into the stone age. If not, THAT definitely needs to get fixed. Unjust Laws promote Vigilantes.

PiLFy

************"You do not really believe that LE is there to protect and serve do you???"

Better armed than the US Military?? I seem to recall they've been having some difficulties over the past 13+ years. Those have been mainly in a sandbox environment. How many Fallujahs are in this Country, Amazon?

What part of the Military Industrial Complex does the US Military fall under again??... When normal people are labeled terrorists because the Kool-Aid is the wrong flavor ( if not supplied by Big Ag and Monsanto) which master will they choose to follow??

I forgot your real name, Amazon. I think we simply disagree on something. Yes, there are certainly a fair percentage of Sheeple walking around this land. However, there are also many more angry, aware People in society than I think you realize. For example, I remember Huckabee's remarks on illegal immigration when he ran for President. It was during an unguarded moment of an interview. He was absolutely dumbfounded that America was fully prepared to have a second Revolution over the Feds trying to bulldoze through legalization of the illegal.

I've got nothing against you. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

PiLFy

I forgot your real name, Amazon. I think we simply disagree on something. Yes, there are certainly a fair percentage of Sheeple walking around this land. However, there are also many more angry, aware People in society than I think you realize. For example, I remember Huckabee's remarks on illegal immigration when he ran for President. It was during an unguarded moment of an interview. He was absolutely dumbfounded that America was fully prepared to have a second Revolution over the Feds trying to bulldoze through legalization of the illegal.

I've got nothing against you. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

Angry people with guns ??? Sounds like terrorists to me... The vociferous members of the 101st Keyboard Militia will protect America...... I think not.:D:D

PiLFy

******"You do not really believe that LE is there to protect and serve do you???"

Ha ha. The revolution was precipitated by a 3% tax on imports.

What does the "armed populace" get now? Surveillance cameras on street corners, traffic light cameras, speed cameras, wars fought on the basis of lies, NSA spying, TSA in the airports, taxes upon taxes, and the best Congress money can buy.

Yep, that "armed populace" has certainly prevented abuses.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"Ha ha. The revolution was precipitated by a 3% tax on imports.

What does the "armed populace" get now? Surveillance cameras on street corners, traffic light cameras, speed cameras, wars fought on the basis of lies, NSA spying, TSA in the airports, taxes upon taxes, and the best Congress money can buy.

Yep, that "armed populace" has certainly prevented abuses."

Laugh it up, old man. You're being protected by those that you mock. Go ahead & hide w/your skirts & Berkley collectibles...

PiLFy

"The vociferous members of the 101st Keyboard Militia will protect America...... I think not."

An armed & determined Populace aren't keyboard Rambos. Your bordering on being rude...

Dahrlin.. that is not being rude... that is observed reality. Our populace is not determined and far to many while armed.... are useless in that fight.[:/]

OK, I'll grant you that many think they're far more effective than they really are, but...

I recall watching video footage from a Cobra attack Helo. They were providing security to a mixed US/Afghan convoy at night. As the disbelieving Army guys in the Helo watched. Four Afghans crowded around an unexploded 155mm round in the roadway. One of the Afghans started beating on it w/his AK's butt. The third or fourth whack detonated it... They were instantly vaporized. Yet, that type of fighter has withstood everything the last two superpowers on the planet had, & still remains in the field. They didn't have modern urban environments to hide in, either. If ignorant goat herders who lack even basic understanding of gunpowder can accomplish that. I think you need to reconsider your position.

Further arguing of this is pointless. You have a nice evening...

This is why all interrogations should be video taped and all witness statements should at least be recorded for audio (detectives and at-station interviews). There really isn't any reason not to force this into policy. There's no excuse.

Side note: each state should work to reduce/eliminate their DNA backlogs.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*