Anvilbrother

Chris Christie knew about bridge closure details

swisschris62

Sure there's far worse things happening in the world but....
The GWB happens to be the busiest bridge on the planet and no telling how many countless people had their day inconvenienced or how much money was lost.

I think many people here have the misconception that this was all about the traffic on the GWB, the real traffic issues had to do with the gridlock on the surface streets in and around Ft Lee. This is where the public's safety was in the most serious jeopardy due to emergency responders unable to respond in an appropriate time frame.

It's surprising to think that a first responder would think of this as funny.

Do I think the delayed response time was funny? No I don't. Do I think it was avoidable by having another team respond? Yes I do.
Is there a difference between what the ideal response time and what us realistic response. Yes there is.

What I said is that yes I laughed and said "dang" when I heard that someone deliberately had a lane shut down for a but of political revenge. Yeah I laughed.
But once again, that this is still making news and being talked about is amazing!! Crud, it happened someone resigned over it. Move on people!!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Do I think the delayed response time was funny? No I don't. Do I think it was avoidable by having another team respond? Yes I do.

Do I think an EMS from Alaska is totally clueless about traffic in NYC and metro NJ? Yes I do.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

promise5

Do I think the delayed response time was funny? No I don't.

sure you do, and your postings reflect it. Then you tried to claim no one was affected, and that they could have, should have managed the gridlock differently. Then you tried to deflect it as personal attacks, and back to your original 'it's no big deal' spiel.

(How Christie inspires this sort of no facts loyalty astounds me)

>What I said is that yes I laughed and said "dang" when I heard that someone
>deliberately had a lane shut down for a but of political revenge. Yeah I laughed.

I think your perspective might be different if you were personally affected by it. Most people don't take too kindly when politicians intentionally screw them over for purposes of revenge. Maybe some find it funny; heck, maybe Christie is banking on that.

kelpdiver

***Do I think the delayed response time was funny? No I don't.

sure you do, and your postings reflect it. Then you tried to claim no one was affected, and that they could have, should have managed the gridlock differently. Then you tried to deflect it as personal attacks, and back to your original 'it's no big deal' spiel.
Eyeroll
(How Christie inspires this sort of no facts loyalty astounds me)
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Have I lived and worked on the east coast. Yes I have
But I will admit I've never driven in NYC.
:P

DONT.... I tried that back in the 60's and 70's a few times... I just am not masochistic in any way... and those who wish to drive there need a very deep streak of it to survive.

I think your perspective might be different if you were personally affected by it. Most people don't take too kindly when politicians intentionally screw them over for purposes of revenge.

You mean like Obamacare?

I don't think it matters what the motivation is. Or are you OK with, "Yeah, I'm fucked over, but at least he meant well."?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

I think your perspective might be different if you were personally affected by it. Most people don't take too kindly when politicians intentionally screw them over for purposes of revenge.

You mean like Obamacare?

I don't think it matters what the motivation is. Or are you OK with, "Yeah, I'm fucked over, but at least he meant well."?

In that case, your post is not responsive to Bill's specific point, it's just the repetition of a canned talking point to get a canned bash in at Obama when the thread is about Christie.

promise5

Is there a difference between what the ideal response time and what us realistic response. Yes there is.

What I said is that yes I laughed and said "dang" when I heard that someone deliberately had a lane shut down for a but of political revenge. Yeah I laughed.
But once again, that this is still making news and being talked about is amazing!! Crud, it happened someone resigned over it. Move on people!!

you are missing the bigger picture. Christy is a Republican gov in a very Democratic state that is run by the Dem party from Bergen County. the wealthiest most powerful county in the state. FT Lee is in Bergen County. He pissed of the Dem's from day one and the bridge closing was an opportunity for pay back and take away some of his power. its worked and his own fault.

None of that explains the national attention until you factor in his designs on the White House. So now the national Democratic party see's and opportunity to bash him. had he not considered a national run, this would not have been national news and no one here would have cared. it would have been another story of a corrupt NJ Pol abusing his power. im guessing it would have been a week long news cycle.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

promise5

I agree with a lot of your apathy towards this story but disagree with your opinion on mutual aid. Ft Lee is basically an island due to its location on the river and proximity to the GWB entrance, Rt 9 and other roads i cannot name but have nightmares of. Its a mess on a good day. Its also in one of most densely populated parts of the US and not a poor backwater. my point is, they are aware of mutual aid, have procedures in place and its humorous that you do not think they have. Its metropolitan NY, they are not naive about emergency services.

Bottom line is, its very very dense. far more than you seem to understand. traffic jams can cause a complete gridlock and there are no back roads or shortcuts as you seem to imply. dispatching someone from Palisades Park or Englewood would do nothing more than put them into gridlock too.

(Edit to add: i live in Bergen County, work in the city and am a third generation volunteer firefighter. just so you know where my opinions are coming from and that they are based on local knowledge.)
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/05/chris-christie-cleared-by-bridgegate-committee.html

First committee report finds no evidence linking Christie to lane closures.

Following the Benghazi precedent, I wonder what the next 7 investigations will find.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Democrats Clear Christie In Bridgegate Investigation

Chris is only a republican by name(sometimes) he has flipped sides so often they keep a chair for him on each side of the room...............................:S

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

jclalor

Does it? The man who claims to be the mastermind of the entire conspiracy - who thought of it and who implemented it - gets away without punishment because he turned evidence. But not evidence against his boss - not evidence to show the corruption reaches all the way up to the Governors office - no, he testified against two subordinates who he ordered to help implement the plot. And now they face jail time instead of him.

If that's the system working, then fuck the system:|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

Does it? The man who claims to be the mastermind of the entire conspiracy - who thought of it and who implemented it - gets away without punishment because he turned evidence. But not evidence against his boss - not evidence to show the corruption reaches all the way up to the Governors office - no, he testified against two subordinates who he ordered to help implement the plot. And now they face jail time instead of him.

Well Rick Merkt doesn't wonder.

"Merkt, a former state assemblyman, is a resident of Mendham Township, also Christie's home town.

He appeared on a ticket with Christie twice, once as his running mate for Assembly in an unsuccessful race in 1993 and again opposing Christie in the 2009 Republican gubernatorial primary, which Christie won.

Merkt attributes Christie's connection to Bridgegate to "his overcharged ambition and ego."

"This is totally consistent with Chris, from his run for assembly to his run for governor to his run for president," he said after the guilty verdicts came in for aides Bill Baroni and Bridget Kelly. "It's always Chris - first, last and always."

That ambition and ego worked in Christie's favor as he ran up that 21-point landslide re-election victory in 2013. But it also worked against him when he encouraged his staffers to become his campaign workers as well.

Christie was not called to testify in that trial. That leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

Both Kelly and Bridgegate mastermind David Wildstein testified Christie was aware of the "traffic study" that caused gridlock in Fort Lee for five days. Now that the guilty verdicts against the governor's aides have come in, many critics are suggesting that U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman should charge Christie in the scheme. "
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/11/chris_christie_is_a_man_of_convictions_-_unfortuna.html

And a further good read on the subject:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/04/the-bridgegate-trial-is-over-so-is-chris-christies-political-career-probably/

Yeah, he knew. Lawyer politicians are the most corrupt beings on this planet. Gandhi aside.

jakee

I was being just a tad bit sarcastic.

jclalor

"promise5"]I'll say it.

Who really cares?? So what if someone was late to an event. I mean dang!!! Burn me alive, I thought it was funny myself.

I'm going to go way out on a limb on this one, but do you consider yourself a Christian? Your lack of empathy is disturbing.

You care nothing for many people who are ill, are not well, and being trapped in a car for hours is not very GD funny, rat fink !!!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-jersey-bridgegate-idUSKBN170139

Bill Baroni, 45, the former deputy executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, will serve two years, while Bridget Kelly, 44, a former deputy chief of staff for Christie, received a sentence of 1-1/2 years.

and in case Christie needed a distraction from this on the exact same day. thanks trump
https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2017-03-29/chris-christie-appointed-by-trump-to-leadership-role-in-fighting-opioid-epidemic