regulator

Glock Vs. Springfield Armory

davjohns

Agreed. But concealing and carrying my 41lb .50BMG is just so awkward. And it makes my winky look small.

I don't think he was meaning the .50 BMG, rather the .500 SW Magnum. The short barrel version could be carried but would be pretty heavy. But not nearly as much trouble as a .50 BMG.

Here is a 500 SW revolver that could be carried but isn't very practical for a concealed carry gun.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_801052_-1_757771_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Ha ha ha,yep that's a cannon for sure. I bet a 50BMG makes more energy at 1000yds than a 30-06 at the muzzle.
The barret I've shot was indeed very heavy,but did not kick as hard as I expected.In fact it was rather easy to shoot.
Wish I could afford one.

chutem

Buy a pistol that you will carry if carrying a pistol is what you want to do. I have a keltec in a pocket wallet print holster with me anytime I wear clothes with pockets. I have plenty of other options depending on the days activities, but the little keltec is always there. (assuming not a prohibited area)

A pocket pistol is a much better self defense weapon than a .45 in the safe or out in the car, not many cool points though.

Exactly my point...and why I went with an ultra lightweight snubby smith wheelgun.

It's not my first choice if heading to the OK Corral, but I never go there anyway.

Like my car keys & pocket knife, it's just something I take along...throw it in my pocket or use an inside the pants, belt clip holster, and not make a big production out of it.

I'm a fairly big person, but still - the big bore mini-autos just get to be a burden to carry all day/every day.

Hurt bending or twisting sometimes, pinch getting in & out of a car...I'm not an undercover LEO, so in my daily routine I'm not intentionally putting myself in hazardous situations...

Like Skydiving - if I'm just making a common sport jump I carry a good hook knife...doing CReW I carry THREE of 'em & they are much larger, because what I doing at that time raises the odds of needing it. --on a boring 4way they just get in the way.

:D ~ Then again, THIS looks interesting! B|

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/20/check-out-smith-wessons-new-beast-of-a-revolver-the-backpack-cannon/

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

***Buy a pistol that you will carry if carrying a pistol is what you want to do. I have a keltec in a pocket wallet print holster with me anytime I wear clothes with pockets. I have plenty of other options depending on the days activities, but the little keltec is always there. (assuming not a prohibited area)

A pocket pistol is a much better self defense weapon than a .45 in the safe or out in the car, not many cool points though.

Exactly my point...and why I went with an ultra lightweight snubby smith wheelgun.

It's not my first choice if heading to the OK Corral, but I never go there anyway.

Like my car keys & pocket knife, it's just something I take along...throw it in my pocket or use an inside the pants, belt clip holster, and not make a big production out of it.

I'm a fairly big person, but still - the big bore mini-autos just get to be a burden to carry all day/every day.

Hurt bending or twisting sometimes, pinch getting in & out of a car...I'm not an undercover LEO, so in my daily routine I'm not intentionally putting myself in hazardous situations...

Like Skydiving - if I'm just making a common sport jump I carry a good hook knife...doing CReW I carry THREE of 'em & they are much larger, because what I doing at that time raises the odds of needing it. --on a boring 4way they just get in the way.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/20/check-out-smith-wessons-new-beast-of-a-revolver-the-backpack-cannon/

Another thing people tend to overlook when selecting a defensive firearm is the likelihood that they will likely not be wearing ear or eye protection if they ever have to use it.

I do NOT recommend touching off a full-patch .44 RM or greater in the absence of hearing protection, since the hearing loss attendant upon one round can be permanent.

The muzzle blast and muzzle flash of a .357 with a 4" barrel are most impressive, indeed. Either one may make if difficult or impossible see for a follow-up shot in the case that you face multiple assailants or missed with the first shot. Anything running into the 40,000+ psi/CUP range is going to be problematic in closed quarters and low light situations.

What a .380 or .32 acp won't do may not necessarily see much improvement by going to a Magnum of some description. The lesser calibers are not as likely to leave you blind and deaf, however temporarily. Similar to the response time in skydiving, you may have the rest of your life to line up the next shot, so any delay in doing so is a bad thing.

Thus, the biggest thing you can carry comfortably and shoot with 100% accuracy and reliability in a defensive situation without ear and eye protection is a good choice.

BSBD,

Winsor

winsor

******Buy a pistol that you will carry if carrying a pistol is what you want to do. I have a keltec in a pocket wallet print holster with me anytime I wear clothes with pockets. I have plenty of other options depending on the days activities, but the little keltec is always there. (assuming not a prohibited area)

Another thing people tend to overlook when selecting a defensive firearm is the likelihood that they will likely not be wearing ear or eye protection if they ever have to use it.

I do NOT recommend touching off a full-patch .44 RM or greater in the absence of hearing protection, since the hearing loss attendant upon one round can be permanent.

The muzzle blast and muzzle flash of a .357 with a 4" barrel are most impressive, indeed. Either one may make if difficult or impossible see for a follow-up shot in the case that you face multiple assailants or missed with the first shot. Anything running into the 40,000+ psi/CUP range is going to be problematic in closed quarters and low light situations.

What a .380 or .32 acp won't do may not necessarily see much improvement by going to a Magnum of some description. The lesser calibers are not as likely to leave you blind and deaf, however temporarily. Similar to the response time in skydiving, you may have the rest of your life to line up the next shot, so any delay in doing so is a bad thing.

Thus, the biggest thing you can carry comfortably and shoot with 100% accuracy and reliability in a defensive situation without ear and eye protection is a good choice.

BSBD,

Winsor

Also a good point!

I have 125gr.SJHP .38+P in mine...little less flash & noise but yeah lots of flame coming out of a 2in.. A buddy & I do training drills @ an indoor range & low light stuff. I'll take off the ear muffs from time to time - but do have Lee Sonics on - not the same but...;)

I have a 3" Smith 29 - .44mag. talk about a FLAMETHROWER!

I think 1/2 the powder burns outside the barrel...I reload for it with Unique, burns faster than most and gets the bullet speed up a bit over factory with that barrel length.

Oh...and there's another point regarding the 'questions raised' in case of a problem - NEVER use reloads for self defence, you'll be portrayed as a mad scientist in your basement concocting death as a pass time.

MY carry class had some rather interesting and enlightening examples of testimony in court regarding that very thing.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

***Buy a pistol that you will carry if carrying a pistol is what you want to do. I have a keltec in a pocket wallet print holster with me anytime I wear clothes with pockets. I have plenty of other options depending on the days activities, but the little keltec is always there. (assuming not a prohibited area)

I agree with this. i bought a S&W airweight 38+P. I can carry one of the bigger guns if it is convenient but the little stubby I can throw in my pocket or IWB with a t-shirt. Plus being a good wheel gun I know it's gonna go boom when i pull the trigger.

Like many here have said the best option is one you will carry. I would much prefer a 1911 for protection but not always convenient to carry
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

plenty of good advice, find something that feels right, don't get wrapped in the caliber issue. accuracy and the proper ammo is more important that size

I prefer the S&W M&P Shield 9mm for small carry, the FNP 9-M for carry, and the FNX or FNS for car and home, all in 9 or 40
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Well a winner has been chosen. I just picked it up yesterday. I did some research and the main factor which made me change my mind about going from .40 to 9mm was the availability/price of ammo. I just got back from academy where I bought 50 rounds of 9mm for 13 bucks. That's pretty affordable...oh and the magazine holds 19 rounds +1 up the pipe.

So its a Springfield XDm 9mm. I plan on training with this sidearm and becoming very proficient with it.

I held at least 10 different pistols in my hand at bass pro shops yesterday and the sub-compact versions, my hand was bigger than the pistol. I have large hands and long fingers and the springfield felt like it was supposed to be there. The glock was nice, but with all the features of the xdm combined with the way it melted in my hand is what sold me. I'll let you know later how it shoots.

Please give an update in a few months as to your Concealed Carry experience. I got my CCW license a month ago, but haven't purchased a subcompact to carry yet. My concern is it would be too inconvenient to lug around for the once in a lifetime event I might need it.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

DiverMike

Please give an update in a few months as to your Concealed Carry experience. I got my CCW license a month ago, but haven't purchased a subcompact to carry yet. My concern is it would be too inconvenient to lug around for the once in a lifetime event I might need it.

I know what you mean. I've got two different sized Glocks. Both are difficult to pack around. I'm still searching for an easier way. I like carrying it on my hip, outside my pants in a paddle holster. It's hard to conceal without a coat, vest, or long shirt.

They say you should carry every day, because you don't know when you'll need a weapon. I just don't do it because the bigger pistols are such a pain to carry all the time.

I bought a Ruger LCP 380 a while back. There's really no excuse not to pack it around. It fit's in a pocket just like a wallet.

The bottom line is that little pistols are more difficult to shoot. Small pistols usually are. It would sure be a lot better than nothing though. I put a laser on it. That makes aiming a lot easier.....

steve1

***Please give an update in a few months as to your Concealed Carry experience. I got my CCW license a month ago, but haven't purchased a subcompact to carry yet. My concern is it would be too inconvenient to lug around for the once in a lifetime event I might need it.

I know what you mean. I've got two different sized Glocks. Both are difficult to pack around. I'm still searching for an easier way. I like carrying it on my hip, outside my pants in a paddle holster. It's hard to conceal without a coat, vest, or long shirt.

They say you should carry every day, because you don't know when you'll need a weapon. I just don't do it because the bigger pistols are such a pain to carry all the time.

I bought a Ruger LCP 380 a while back. There's really no excuse not to pack it around. It fit's in a pocket just like a wallet.

The bottom line is that little pistols are more difficult to shoot. Small pistols usually are. It would sure be a lot better than nothing though. I put a laser on it. That makes aiming a lot easier.....

Let's see, some of the pistols I have carried concealed over the years in various situations include:

Beretta Minx .22 Short
Astra Cub .22 Short
Beretta Jetfire .25acp
Colt Junior .25acp
Bauer .25acp
Titan .25acp
NAA .22 LR Mini Revolver
Beretta 21 .22LR
Walther TPH .22LR
Walther PP .32acp
Davis Derringer .32acp
Savage 1907 .32acp
S&W Model 30 .32 Long
AMT Sidekick .380acp
Walther PPK .380acp
American Derringer .38 Spl
S&W Model 36 .38 Spl
Astra M30 9x19
HiPower 9x19
Firestar .40
Ruger Security Six .357
Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Spl
AMT Sidekick .45acp
Astra 75 .45acp
1911A1 .45acp
SIG Sauer P220 .45acp
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44RM

All of the firearms in the above list have been used successfully in self-defense at one time or another, so it comes down to what YOU prefer. My preference is the stainless variants with the highest reliability and accuracy.

The little Berettas are fun toys; though James Bond was partial to the .25 Jetfire, he was ordered to upsize to the 7.65 (.32acp) PPK.

The TPH would be fine if not for the rimfire ammo - it is a really keen little plinker. The Walther .380 PPK is my first choice for an all around social sidearm.

With an appropriate holster, the .45acp Backup is impressive (little pistol with a BIG hole in front), but it takes more work to get good enough with it for lifesaving purposes. It simply doesn't have the ergonomics and natural accuracy of the PPK.

The heavier calibers are in the Business Piece category, and require a higher level of dress to avoid freaking out the populace. The most successful arrangement I found was the 6" Security Six in a strong-side holster, tucked into the back pocket. With a windbreaker it was completely unobtrusive, but I could clear leather and be on target in well less than a second.

The 1911A1 I carried in a DeSantis shoulder rig, which was very secure and comfortable, and could be deployed about as fast as the wheelgun from the hip.

I never found a convenient way to carry a Glock concealed; an exposed service holster was about all the better I could do.

As an aside, accuracy is an ethical requirement for anything you might possibly have to use in an antipersonnel role. You do not have the right to fire so as to put innocents at risk - EVER.

The abysmal marksmanship of various LEOs (certainly not all), coupled with near-infinite supplies of ammunition, have resulted in an unacceptable level of 'collateral damage' amongst the citizenry.

Bat Masterson's advice regarding conduct in a gunfight was "take your time, and don't miss." Taking that approach, a 5 shot J frame is more than sufficient.

BSBD,

Winsor

Stumpy

All of the firearms in the above list have been used successfully in self-defense at one time or another

Wow! Ever thought about moving somewhere else?! :D

Allow me to clarify - each make and model has been successfully used for self defense at one time or another, but not mine in particular, and never by me.

I, personally, have taken every opportunity to run like hell whenever faced with physical confrontation. When someone has called me a coward as I disappeared into the sunset, they were most likely right.

winsor

All of the firearms in the above list have been used successfully in self-defense at one time or another

Wow! Ever thought about moving somewhere else?! :D

Allow me to clarify - each make and model has been successfully used for self defense at one time or another, but not mine in particular, and never by me.

I, personally, have taken every opportunity to run like hell whenever faced with physical confrontation. When someone has called me a coward as I disappeared into the sunset, they were most likely right.
Ahh - that makes a little more sense - I was just going to ask you where you live to make sure I never go there! - i thought you were some kind of trouble magnet :D:D
Never try to eat more than you can lift