Jumpdude

"Christians"?

First, I want to say that I am in NO WAY anti-religious, I do think that religion, regardless of what version, is or can be a good thing, so don't read half way into it and think I'm Athiest or whatever, but this may explain why it makes it really difficult for me to associate with some people (Not all) who call themselves "Christians"!

So what makes person "A" better than person "B" because person "A" is a "So called" "Christian"?
Does being a Christian give people the mentality that they are better than others?
Why do "Christians" seem to try to find dirt on someone else?
Why is that "Christians" seem to live in fear of "what if"?
Why is it that "Christians" try to belittle others, in an effort to make the other person in to a bad person without even knowing them?
Does being a "Christian" mean that you have to be a prude?
Does being a "Christian" mean that you have to put others down or classify them as not good to associate with?
Does being a "Christian" give them the right to tell someone that they are going to Hell if they don't become a so called "Christian"?
Does being a "Christian" make it ok for them to not visit a family in time of sickness or death because the sick or deceased is/was not a "Christian", but smother the one's who is/were a "Christian"?
Why is it that some, maybe most "Christians" look down on, or even refuse to do business with an establishment that sells/serves alcohol?
Why is it that "Most Christians" I've ever known, have a tendacy to judge people (and it's almost never good)?
Why is it that some "Christians" vote for a political candidate merely because the candidate was a "Christian" regardless if the candidate can actually do a good job or not?
I could go on and on, but I don't have time to write the whole book, nor does most have time to read it, but the point is, if you take all these questions/facts that I've listed, would you actually want to be a "Christian", or roll them all up in to one person, be like that person, or even associate with someone like that??

Well..............a Christian that does those things is not much of a Christian. I know of some that do some of those at times. I am certainly (almost said probably) one of them at times. I am not perfect. That is one reason I am a Christian. I strive for perfection even while knowing it isn't possible and perfection to one person isn't perfection to another. And in that imperfection I ask God for forgiveness and strength to do better. I am hopeful and willing to bet (oops, shouldn't gamble) that you don't know any single Christian that does all of those things. But as I say, we all do one or some of them. And then they add up to being what "Christians do" and end up on a list like that.
The one item on the list that seems to be most misunderstood is the judgement thing. All one has to do as a Christian is disagree with a lifestyle or other choice and we are "judging" them. Yes, some speak out harshly about what they don't agree with or even treat a person as a lesser person than he or she would a Christian......that is WRONG and that IS judging.
I know I will take shots on this but I pray it helps in some small way why we don't always get things right.
So fire away folks, that is what this forum is for. Can't promise to reply though.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

>So what makes person "A" better than person "B" because person "A" is a "So called" "Christian"?

Nothing.

>Does being a Christian give people the mentality that they are better than others?

It does for some Christians.

>Why do "Christians" seem to try to find dirt on someone else?

Because lots of people try to find dirt on people.

>Why is that "Christians" seem to live in fear of "what if"?

Some Christians do, some don't.

>Why is it that "Christians" try to belittle others, in an effort to make the other
>person in to a bad person without even knowing them?

>Does being a "Christian" mean that you have to be a prude?

No.

>Does being a "Christian" mean that you have to put others down or classify them as
>not good to associate with?

No.

>Does being a "Christian" give them the right to tell someone that they are going to
>Hell if they don't become a so called "Christian"?

No. Here in the US the Constitution gives them that right.

>Does being a "Christian" make it ok for them to not visit a family in time of sickness
>or death because the sick or deceased is/was not a "Christian", but smother the
>one's who is/were a "Christian"?

That is OK for everyone. (Not nice, perhaps, but common.)

>Why is it that some, maybe most "Christians" look down on, or even refuse to do
>business with an establishment that sells/serves alcohol?

>Why is it that "Most Christians" I've ever known, have a tendacy to judge people
>(and it's almost never good)?

Because you chose judgmental people to associate with.

>Why is it that some "Christians" vote for a political candidate merely because the
>candidate was a "Christian" regardless if the candidate can actually do a good job or
>not?

Because many people are one issue voters. (Same for gun rights, republican/democrat etc.)

>would you actually want to be a "Christian", or roll them all up in to one person, be
>like that person, or even associate with someone like that??

A better question - why would you "roll them all up into one person?" Whether that group represents Christians, or blacks, or gays, or democrats, or gun owners?

Thunderbow

The one item on the list that seems to be most misunderstood is the judgement thing. All one has to do as a Christian is disagree with a lifestyle or other choice and we are "judging" them. Yes, some speak out harshly about what they don't agree with or even treat a person as a lesser person than he or she would a Christian......that is WRONG and that IS judging.

It's less the 'judging' and more the followup with legislation to enforce said judgement that rubs people the wrong way. That and the confused notion that being a majority means that the Christian judgement superceeds the rights of others.

Thunderbow

You wouldn't be talking about the "right" to kill unborn babies would you?

There's that sort of 'judging' that gets Christians painted as assholes, yep.

No, the woman's right to manage her health wrt pregancies was settled by the Supreme Court in the early 70s. I'm sure you heard of that case.

I was thinking in particular about gay rights around marriage, which the Christians have been attacking with dollars, legislation and votes till finally the courts stepped in to defend the rights of the minority. Those actions went well beyond simple judgement and instead became impositions.

Thunderbow

You wouldn't be talking about the "right" to kill unborn babies would you?

That was a subject that I wasn't even thinking about when I wrote the OP.

Not sure if that should be a "Right" or what, but I'm in the middle on that! I've been in pretty heated debates with my parents and others over that subject, While I don't really "Support" the subject, in certain situations, ie, rape, health issues that could cause death to mom and/or kid, drug addition etc, I feel it could be an acceptable option, but as a form of birth control just because they were to lazy, or trifling to use some for of birth control, I'm not for that! Ya gonna play, ya gotta pay!!!

Whoops!!
I forgot a couple!!!
I got told the other day that I am going to hell because I play the lottery!!! I disagree!! The Tennessee Lottery sponsors some kind of college fund or scholarships, so I'm not gambling! I'm sponsoring some college kid somewhere!!!

Also, I was told that since my GF doesn't go to church, that she's going to hell and dragging me down with her!!!
Um, Excuse me!!!
My ex wife was a so called "Christian" and treated me like shit, even to the point of telling me that I was going to hell because I skydive rather than spend that time doing what she wanted to do, which was usually sit on the couch and complain, so, I'm happy to be with who I'm with! And she (New GF) wants to Skydive as soon as it warms up a bit! :)

No, wasn't judging just maybe jumped to a conclusion too quickly.
As long as we are there though, no one asks for a woman to put her health in jeopardy. I have said many times as much as I would hate it I would sell my soul to satan if that were truly the only reason women have abortions. It would save many many babies. According to different sources there are something over 1 million abortions in the U.S. each year. Lets knock that in half and say half a million. I doubt that very many of those were cases of a woman that had her health put in jeopardy from having a baby.

Asking that a union between two people of the same sex not be called marriage is not judging them. I know and respect people with those inclinations. I just happen to believe that marriage is an institution made by God so that we can continue to have children and raise them to love and honor Him.

I appreciate your reply to that.
In light of how you replied, I think it would be interesting to discuss this face to face with you. You just can't put everything meant into a thread on line.
I get frustrated with texting too when a phone call is what is really needed.
You apparently have had more than your share of unfortunate encounters with Christians. All I can say is I hope it goes better in the future.

***I appreciate your reply to that.
In light of how you replied, I think it would be interesting to discuss this face to face with you. You just can't put everything meant into a thread on line.
I get frustrated with texting too when a phone call is what is really needed.
You apparently have had more than your share of unfortunate encounters with Christians.

I think it was pretty much cut-n-dry, That was my opinion, just as you have yours. I have known quite a few "Christians" that were like the description, so there it is. That's the ones I have an issue with.

kelpdiver

***You wouldn't be talking about the "right" to kill unborn babies would you?

There's that sort of 'judging' that gets Christians painted as assholes, yep.

No, the woman's right to manage her health wrt pregancies was settled by the Supreme Court in the early 70s. I'm sure you heard of that case.

I was thinking in particular about gay rights around marriage, which the Christians have been attacking with dollars, legislation and votes till finally the courts stepped in to defend the rights of the minority. Those actions went well beyond simple judgement and instead became impositions.

The "Gay Rights" thing is something of a tough subject! I may be, and probably am biased on that since I'm retired military, and was conditioned to have no tolerance for gays, but since society seems to be accepting it these days, I will make a point and try to be politically correct;
People who are gay, and that way BY CHOICE! They CHOOSE to be that way! So the whole gay rights thing is, IMHO BULLSHIT! Our constitution gives us rights and freedoms, and maybe sexual pref is one of them, but I do feel that it's a big difference between gays and the race or nationality. ALL People were born as one nationality or another, or one race or the other, so THAT'S where the RIGHTS come in to play! NONE of us asked to be born with a certain skin color or nationality, so why should someone who makes a choice to be gay be awarded a right to be that way, especially when it's clearly defined as a sin in the Bible, (or at least in any version that I've ever seen)? Someone correct me if I am wrong.