jclalor

Is Chris Christie done?

Kennedy

Replace Christie with Obama and tell me if you still feel the same way.

take that back - no Democrat in the history of the country has ever shut down, or threatened to shut down public services as a political tool. Schools and police service are never held hostage. Certainly public parks, veterans memorials, tourist sites and tours in DC, etc aren't used as leverage or punishment or as PR props.

(I think this should be a wake up call for all politicians - especially high visibility ones - both parties. The story reads like he had at least one follower that was so fanatical about his boss that he abused his authority to do something petty he perceived would hurt an opposer. These leaders need to make sure that their "loyal followers" are still able to put their moral and professional philosophies ABOVE their political philosophies.

I'm skeptical about that - clearly they'd rather have blind followers than thinking people)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Whether this pompous ass is done will not speak to a larger issue that should be front and center concern to to all of us here...the use of public agencies and/or infrastructure by elected officials and their appointed minions to use as weapons against those who disagree with them.

the fact that non liberals are attacking him reflects well on them. shows they believe in principals and are willing to call foul against one of their own.

I would argue that non-liberals are attacking him because he was seen as supporting (read: not visciously negative towards) Obama before the last election. I can't remember non-liberals haveing anything bad to say about the way Sarah Palin ran her governor's office.

- Dan G

jclalor

the pettiness factor is a minor ding in the big picture, as is the school kids late for school. but if that dead 91yo 911 case gets more legs, that could be a nasty burr in his side, esp in the primaries.

Of course, CC continues to claim he's not running for President at all!

DanG

the fact that non liberals are attacking him reflects well on them. shows they believe in principals and are willing to call foul against one of their own.

I would argue that non-liberals are attacking him because he was seen as supporting (read: not visciously negative towards) Obama before the last election. I can't remember non-liberals haveing anything bad to say about the way Sarah Palin ran her governor's office.

I do not think I qualify as a Liberal, but Sarah Palin strikes me as being incompetent at all levels. I am flabbergasted that she was selected as a Vice Presidential running mate.

It happened on Christie's watch, just as the fuck-up in the Obamacare rollout happened on Obama's watch. Were it in some lower level, I'd assign it less significance (as I kind of do IRS-gate -- that's at least one level removed from Obama), but it was right down the hall from Christie. Had it been some dude in the highway department, I wouldn't associate it with Christie in teh same way.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm still even more worried about "loyal followers" abusing our trust than the public figures. the more fanatical the following, the worse it gets.

Our leaders need to look at the their best advocates and decide which of them will cross the line because of unreasoning political bias. Fortunately, the worst of them don't seem to take government positions, they just post on internets sites.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Probably. I don't know who was vetting him for a run for president, but that certainly didn't take long. I'm guessing it wasn't the Democrats -- you don't drop that shit before the Republican primary's done. There are no end of people who don't like Cristie and would benefit from preventing him from making a run for it at all. My top two suspects would be Karl Rove or Paul Ryan. Or maybe the Koch brothers had a hand in this; Cristie's proven he won't toe the party line and will compromise to get shit done. I'm sure the Koch Brothers would prefer a more upstanding example of Republican values to be the next presidential candidate.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

What I find as funny is Christie pals up with Obama and the far right hates him - but he doesn't win with the left either.

Now it appears the left (some here) just hate him for what happen but yet Obama gets a pass on things that happen under his watch - both Obama and Christie admitted that it happen under their watch......

Pass for Obama

Hate for Christie

(works both ways, the right would do the same thing)

We as a country are fucked
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

The one thing is that if a leader sets a tone that abusive behavior is unacceptable, then abuses are less likely to spread. If otherwise, then abuses can become more endemic, just "part of doing business."

Kind of like bribes in some cultures, and/or areas of countries.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

The one thing is that if a leader sets a tone that abusive behavior is unacceptable, then abuses are less likely to spread. If otherwise, then abuses can become more endemic, just "part of doing business."

Wendy P.

i admire him for being a man and apologizing and firing people. not only did he hold a press conference where he gave an apology but he then stood for two hours and answered questions from a frothing media. that shows some character.

i read a funny quote. someone said he either did not know or he is a Clinton level liar. id say that sounds about right to me.

reminder: i did not vote for him. i am actually not a fan of his at all. he has held up my wife's judicial appointment because the nomination comes from a Dem Senator he does not like. But I'm born and raised in NJ and dont see the bridge thing a big deal for our politics. im numb to the sewer that is NJ politics.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

i admire him for being a man and apologizing and firing people.

Pffft! Since when is throwing people under the bus "being a man"? Those of us who lived through Watergate remember Nixon doing much the same thing (firing top aides) and saying much the same shit ("I accept the responsibility, not the blame.").

Andy9o8

Pffft! Since when is throwing people under the bus "being a man"? Those of us who lived through Watergate remember Nixon doing much the same thing (firing top aides) and saying much the same shit ("I accept the responsibility, not the blame.").

if he did know. then he is throwing someone under the bus.

if he didnt, then he must fire his loyal employees who made a mistake. not all leaders do that. our President is a prime example of claiming he didnt know something but not punishing people immediately or at all depending on the case.

im not assuming he knew. i dont like him but he does not seem to me to be a Clinton level liar. to quote another.
John Frusciante

Andy9o8

Well, he is either:

a) Such an incompetent manager that he didn't realize for months that a crisis was manufactured by his closest staff.

b) A liar who throws his closest staff under the bus to save himself.

Either way he is unfit to manage.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Well, he is either:

a) Such an incompetent manager that he didn't realize for months that a crisis was manufactured by his closest staff.

if he was the manger of a private enterprise, he would most certainly loose his job for a &b. however, we all know that we allow politicians to be liars and incompetents as long as the support our views. we need a benevolent dictator for about 5 years. hah
John Frusciante

ryoder

Well, he is either:

I believe this clearly proven to be is a standing REQUIREMENT today for nationally elected officials.

Why not extend that to state level then? the feds can't have all the fun.

weekender

i admire him for being a man and apologizing and firing people. not only did he hold a press conference where he gave an apology but he then stood for two hours and answered questions from a frothing media. that shows some character.

If you measure him by Thursday, maybe. On Wednesday, he wasn't apologizing and I see Thursday as a response to the reaction that Wednesday got.

ryoder

Well, he is either:

Either way he is unfit to manage. He's just testing the waters by practicing to be President. When New Jersey tires of him, he can do Hollywood (with acting skills like that).
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

weekender

***The one thing is that if a leader sets a tone that abusive behavior is unacceptable, then abuses are less likely to spread. If otherwise, then abuses can become more endemic, just "part of doing business."

Wendy P.

Hmmm. His apology appears to consist of denying any involvement, blaming his aides, saying that he was "betrayed", and firing people.

Doesn't seem like much character to me.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******The one thing is that if a leader sets a tone that abusive behavior is unacceptable, then abuses are less likely to spread. If otherwise, then abuses can become more endemic, just "part of doing business."

Wendy P.

Hmmm. His apology appears to consist of denying any involvement, blaming his aides, saying that he was "betrayed", and firing people.

No. It seems like Obama, with the exception that Obama promotes his staff when they do this kind of thing.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

******The one thing is that if a leader sets a tone that abusive behavior is unacceptable, then abuses are less likely to spread. If otherwise, then abuses can become more endemic, just "part of doing business."

Wendy P.

Dick Nixon's downfall was his loyalty to underlings who screwed the pooch. Admittedly, the fact that his retinue was made up of such sleazy types did not speak well for him, but that seems to be the norm in politics in general. Nevertheless, the transgression for which Nixon was taken to task was covering for his people when it came to light that they had overlooked a couple of laws in their exuberance.

While I would much prefer a chief executive whose staff was clever enough to achieve their purpose in a strictly legal manner, I am unimpressed with anyone who will not take responsibility for what happened on his/her watch.

When P.J. O'Rourke says "it's not my fault, and I won't do it again," it's a joke. It turns out that Christie took that as an example of how to handle the situation in which he now finds himself.

Given that scum rises to the top, it is hardly surprising that someone like Christie should prevail in the cesspool that is New Jersey politics. The thing that is most surprising is that anyone is surprised.

BSBD,

Winsor