rushmc

More Guns, Fewer cops die! Go figure

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/31/32-officers-killed-by-gunfire-nationwide-last-year-lowest-since-1887/

Number of cops killed by gunfire in 2013 dips to 33, lowest since 1887

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

Stock market at record high - fewer cops die. Go figure.

buzz.money.cnn.com/2013/12/31/stocks-record-bull-market/?source=cnn_bin

Well the fed IS pumping $85 M a month of newly printed cash into the economy. That is a good thing, right?
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Well the fed IS pumping $85 M a month of newly printed cash into the economy. That is a good thing, right?

It is if you made 38% this year, like the market did.B|

Best year since Clinton was President.

But then, historically, the economy has grown faster under Dem presidents than under GOP, for the past 60 years.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

But then, historically, the economy has grown faster under Dem presidents than under GOP, for the past 60 years.

Only because the Dems were smart enough to not mess with what had been put in place.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I am just happy you and yours have not made any progress with your gun ban agenda. We can have another thread about what might happen when that money comes to an end
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/31/32-officers-killed-by-gunfire-nationwide-last-year-lowest-since-1887/

Number of cops killed by gunfire in 2013 dips to 33, lowest since 1887

I take it that you read (or had someone read for you) no further than the header. No where in the article did it credit the lower rate to an increase in gun ownership. What was credited is this:

The annual report from NLEOMF credited an increased culture of safety among law enforcement agencies, including increased use of bulletproof vests, that followed a spike in deaths in 2011. Since that time, officer fatalities across all categories have decreased by 34 percent, and gun deaths have fallen by 54 percent.

I take from this article that more officers would be dead if not for what was stated by the NLOEMF. Go figure!
You really should learn to read a full article before posting.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Trying to negatively correlate police killed by gunfire with the number of firearms in circulation is a little silly. At best it shows that more guns doesn't necessarily cause more police officer deaths.

But that aside, this statistic presented by itself can't be assumed to be good news. It's more difficult to trend people shot and killed by police because the FBI doesn't keep statistics on it but if it is negatively correlated with police dying of GSWs then that suggests that police are just more likely to shoot first. If it is negatively correlated with bystanders/unarmed people shot by police and if the latter is on the order or a higher order than the former, that would tend to suggest that police are going overboard to protect themselves.

Think about it, if cops just drove around in armored vehicles shooting anyone that looked suspicious, I imagine very few of them would be killed by GSWs.

Oh sorry
You are right
Vests have only come into common use this year
What was I thinking

And of course cops were unsafe before this year

How many more guns has the private sector added in the last two years?
Abraham Lincoln

Yours is a thoughtful reply
thanks

And your points are well taken

My only point is gun ownership does not equate to more deaths

For cops in this case

Bad news for gun banners like kallend
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Oh sorry
You are right
Vests have only come into common use this year
What was I thinking

And of course cops were unsafe before this year

How many more guns has the private sector added in the last two years?

You should learn how to properly phrase a title. "More guns, fewer cops die!" tends to lead one to believe that your assumption is that more guns contributed to less police deaths.
Your title is misleading and has zero to do with the article. Go figure!
Neil Young

airdvr

Only because the Dems were smart enough to not mess with what had been put in place.

Ha ha. The market indices (all of them) were lower at the end of Bush's administration than at the beginning. What does that say about his smarts?

Fact is that YOU are better off under a DEM administration, but your cognitive dissonance prevents you from acknowledging it.

kallend

That would be for the Nasdaq, which isn't really 'the market,' being a bit tech heavy. The S&P is a better measure, it's still up a scintillating 29%. The silly outdated Dow didn't do shabby either at 26%.

A great year for people smart enough not to stick their retirement money in cash accounts, and to have saved it in the first place.

kelpdiver

That would be for the Nasdaq, which isn't really 'the market,' being a bit tech heavy. The S&P is a better measure, it's still up a scintillating 29%. The silly outdated Dow didn't do shabby either at 26%.

A great year for people smart enough not to stick their retirement money in cash accounts, and to have saved it in the first place.

B|B|:)

rushmc

One thing I know for sure. There is little I would want to learn from you :)

Considering that you write like a 5 year old child, I doubt that you are capable of learning anything.
Still unemployed?
Neil Young

freethefly

***One thing I know for sure. There is little I would want to learn from you :)

Considering that you write like a 5 year old child, I doubt that you are capable of learning anything.
Still unemployed?

Fail again

At no time in the last 40 years have I not been employed.

See! Still nothing learned from you
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******One thing I know for sure. There is little I would want to learn from you :)

Still unemployed?

Fail again

Your profile states that you are 'still looking.' If you are employed, why would you lie on a profile? Are you so embarrassed of your job that you would not state in your profile what you do for a living? Maybe, your a top secret troll and divulging such information may endanger your life, liberty and, happiness?
Neil Young

freethefly

*********One thing I know for sure. There is little I would want to learn from you :)

Still unemployed?

Fail again

Your profile states that you are 'still looking.' If you are employed, why would you lie on a profile? Are you so embarrassed of your job that you would not state in your profile what you do for a living? Maybe, your a top secret troll and divulging such information may endanger your life, liberty and, happiness?

He works for a company that admits dumping some 30 MILLION tons of CO2 into our atmosphere every year.

Does that explain something?

kallend

************One thing I know for sure. There is little I would want to learn from you :)

Still unemployed?

Fail again

He works for a company that admits dumping some 30 MILLION tons of CO2 into our atmosphere every year.

Being that he lives in Milford, IA, must be NuStar Energy.
Neil Young

freethefly

*********One thing I know for sure. There is little I would want to learn from you :)

Still unemployed?

Fail again

Your profile states that you are 'still looking.' If you are employed, why would you lie on a profile? Are you so embarrassed of your job that you would not state in your profile what you do for a living? Maybe, your a top secret troll and divulging such information may endanger your life, liberty and, happiness?:D:D

Please dont stop
I am enjoying this

But

Still looking for a career does not mean still looking for a job:o

But it does refer to the very big variation of job types I have had in last 25 years :D

As kallend loves to point out, I work for a medium size investor owned gas and electric distribution company
The parent company also own coal, gas and wind generation

So, the trolling being done in this thread is not by me

But please, dont stop

This is fun:D
Abraham Lincoln

freethefly

***************One thing I know for sure. There is little I would want to learn from you :)

Still unemployed?

Fail again

Being that he lives in Milford, IA, must be NuStar Energy.

Never heard of them
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

************One thing I know for sure. There is little I would want to learn from you :)

Still unemployed?

Fail again

He works for the "Forests"?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

matthewcline

***************One thing I know for sure. There is little I would want to learn from you :)

Still unemployed?

Fail again

He works for the "Forests"?

Matt

:o

:D:D:D
Abraham Lincoln