regulator

Biometric/Fingerprint Trigger Locks

beowulf

If you are going to carry regularly you should seriously consider Texas Law Shield.
http://www.uslawshield.com/texas/

Being pushed to the last resort of having to shoot someone to defend your life or a loved one can ruin your life financially.

Thank you. In my chl class I was told that even if you defend your life by shooting but injure someone else by the bullet hitting them too I would be liable. So always consider your angles and if possible try to shoot upwards if possible.

Re: "always lock your weapons up at home - no exceptions."

SkyCoi

If it's a loaded weapons, unless it's on my person it's secured. People come into my house all the time for a variety of reasons - it's not just kids that I'm worried about. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but people are ridiculously stupid sometimes.

That may be what works for you, but it is by no means a universal one-size-fits-all rule. So you shouldn't be giving that advice as if it is what is best for everyone. Each of us gets to choose for ourselves what best fits our own personal circumstances.

Boogers

Re: "always lock your weapons up at home - no exceptions."

***If it's a loaded weapons, unless it's on my person it's secured. People come into my house all the time for a variety of reasons - it's not just kids that I'm worried about. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but people are ridiculously stupid sometimes.

That may be what works for you, but it is by no means a universal one-size-fits-all rule. So you shouldn't be giving that advice as if it is what is best for everyone. Each of us gets to choose for ourselves what best fits our own personal circumstances.

I like your post quite a bit. It applies in so many areas of personal freedom and individual responsibility.

Do you mind if I quote it when the anti-abortion nosy fuckers start in on other people's personal medical decisions regarding pregnancy? Your quote is right on, on so many levels.

regulator

***If you are going to carry regularly you should seriously consider Texas Law Shield.
http://www.uslawshield.com/texas/

Being pushed to the last resort of having to shoot someone to defend your life or a loved one can ruin your life financially.

Thank you. In my chl class I was told that even if you defend your life by shooting but injure someone else by the bullet hitting them too I would be liable. So always consider your angles and if possible try to shoot upwards if possible.

I don't know if you have ever been in a street fight or not. But one of my favorite quotes is "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." It's paraphrased from Mike Tyson. Anyway reality is so much different then what you think will happen. You just have to do what have to, to stay alive and keep your self and loved ones safe. If you can watch your background then do so. But things can go sideways really fast and all you can do is react.

Also if you just happen to wound your attacker you may have to defend yourself in criminal and civil court even if you were in the right. It all depends on the District Attorney. If the DA drops it you can still be sued in Civil court. If you kill the attacker then the family may sue, even if the DA decides not to.

As always the best option it to avoid having to shoot anyone. Using your firearm is the last resort when life is on the line.

kallend

That is an unfortunate situation and why I have a weapon mounted light for my rifle and one of my handguns. Also I don't have any children. Fortunately that doesn't happen all that often.

Boogers

You are right, so I apologize that what I meant as strong encouragement ended up coming out as an absolute. I believe in being a grown-assed man and taking responsibility for your own decisions.

Some food for thought - According to the CDC (http://wonder.cdc.gov), there were 4,698 firearm deaths of children aged 1 – 14 between 1999 – 2010. Of these, 2851 were homicides, 916 were suicides and 785 were unintentional deaths. Read this if you want a really sobering look at the issue:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/children-and-guns-the-hidden-toll.html?_r=0

So sure, choose for yourself what best fits your own personal circumstances because I’m sure you’ve taken into account all possibilities. But also be prepared for the potential personal, emotional and financial responsibility that comes along with that thought process.

What is the leading cause of death for children 1- 14 between 1999 - 2010? I seriously doubt that firearms would rate very high on that list. Gun safety is very important but lets not blow the issue out of proportion and realistically look at the statistics including other causes of death for children.

SkyCoi

***That may be what works for you, but it is by no means a universal one-size-fits-all rule. So you shouldn't be giving that advice as if it is what is best for everyone. Each of us gets to choose for ourselves what best fits our own personal circumstances.

You are right, so I apologize that what I meant as strong encouragement ended up coming out as an absolute. I believe in being a grown-assed man and taking responsibility for your own decisions.

Some food for thought - According to the CDC (http://wonder.cdc.gov), there were 4,698 firearm deaths of children aged 1 – 14 between 1999 – 2010. Of these, 2851 were homicides, 916 were suicides and 785 were unintentional deaths. Read this if you want a really sobering look at the issue:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/children-and-guns-the-hidden-toll.html?_r=0

So sure, choose for yourself what best fits your own personal circumstances because I’m sure you’ve taken into account all possibilities. But also be prepared for the potential personal, emotional and financial responsibility that comes along with that thought process.

No children in my home, so no children will be shot with my gun, which is left out while I'm at home so that it's available for self defense. None of your links apply to me. My position stands as previously stated.

You do what you want, and I'll do what I want. Ain't freedom great?

Oh, and I note that those statistics cover a 12-year period, so to annualize those numbers, divide each one by 12. That makes them pretty small, considering we're a country of 300 million people with 50% or more gun ownership.

turtlespeed

***Took me a little bit but I found the link for mounting a holster under your seat. I saw this at a gun show. Looks pretty good if you drive a lot.

http://www.accufireproducts.com/gunsling-r.html

Great work.

Thanks.

Maybe now a certain Moderator will admit he's wrong.

Good damn thing no one held their breath, huh?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

regulator

I took my chl class yesterday. And if I already had my chl and was carrying, I would have acted the exact same way. I would have simply left and returned to the scene of the accident. That situation didn't escalate because I left the scene when I saw things going south. My chl instructor says any day you don't have to pull your firearm and shoot someone is a good day. Not only did I have that attitude before but I feel the same way right now. They didn't encroach me within the 21 foot range. And I don't WANT to shoot anyone, I just want to be armed in case there ever is a situation where I do need to save myself and shoot to defend my or someone elses life.

My driving instructor gave me two rules to help me survive on the road:
1) It's better to arrive late in this world than early in the next
2) Everyone else on the road is a f***ing lunatic who's trying to kill you - drive accordingly.

I assume that you could see that his lane was going to end well in advance of arriving there. Personally, I'd have slowed down earlier giving him room to pull into my lane if he'd messed up by being in the wrong lane (see rule 2)

If the accident was unavoidable and I got hit, I certainly wouldn't be leaving the scene of the accident to go to some undisclosed location nearby on the promise of seeing insurance documents (You already said that you had suspicions that he was uninsured - why would going somewhere else change that?) . I'd have taken his licence plate number and just gone and sat in my car until the police arrived.

If he then gets in his car and drives away, he's leaving the scene of an accident (hit and run) and is committing another offence (at least in the UK but YMMV).

If he does that and then denies that he's the driver as far as I can see you're not in any worse position than you are now, you just haven't exposed yourself to any further risk.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation