regulator

Biometric/Fingerprint Trigger Locks

The resistance I've always had to bio based stuff is that I constantly am nicking or cutting my fingers. In my occupation I frequently am twisting wires, turning nuts and bolts that may have burrs, handling sheet metal, etc. I tried using the finger print reader on my work computer and it was worthless. The one time I had "clean" hands I set up the bio stuff. It's a roll of the dice whether it works or not depending on what shape my fingers are in from work. Heck when I got my Utah permit I had to go back two times to get my prints taken because of the same issue.

I use this at home: http://amzn.com/B002AQ0PFW

I believe it can capture up to 5 different fingers worth of prints, and I can have it open in about 3 seconds. Never had a failed read since I first set it up.

As for the car, as many times as my car has been broken into the past five years (7 times) I would never leave anything valuable in my car, much less a weapon. Even if this weren't the case, I feel it needs to be more accessable to be of any value. Get your CCW and get in the habit of carrying, always lock your weapons up at home - no exceptions.

The fact not all of a person's weapons can be carried 100% of the time is the entire point of this thread.

Reading is fundamental:
"But since I will keep the .40 in my car I wanted to know if any of you have experience with biometric or fingerprint trigger locks and if you have any recommendations, and also if you have any recommendations for a holster for fitting my pistol in my car"

He asked about a single weapon. And the safest place to carry that single weapon. And the answer to that question is on your person.

SkyCoi

I use this at home: http://amzn.com/B002AQ0PFW

I believe it can capture up to 5 different fingers worth of prints, and I can have it open in about 3 seconds. Never had a failed read since I first set it up.

Battery issues? Ultimately, this is the primary concern with non mechanical solutions - will it open (or fire) when I need it to? I've been trying to find a one or two pistol solution for the bedroom and many of the listed choices on Amazon complain about battery life.

As for the car, as many times as my car has been broken into the past five years (7 times) I would never leave anything valuable in my car, much less a weapon. Even if this weren't the case, I feel it needs to be more accessable to be of any value. Get your CCW and get in the habit of carrying, always lock your weapons up at home - no exceptions.

What about the situations you may encounter where you are not permitted to carry (workplace or business with rule, school zone, government building, etc)? Almost an academic question for me since CCW is not an option, but seems difficult to carry 100%, and leaving the gun behind everytime you might go somewhere like that isn't a great answer either.

quade

Yes. Reading IS fundamental. The advice you seem to believe is relevant here is NOT a solution to the question he asked about.

Yes reading is fundamental. I have provided the quote were he asked about keeping the single firearm in his car.

Please provide the quote that supports your position and your claim that he wants to carry all of them.

For those rare times that I have to leave my carry gun in my vehicle I use a Nanovault. You are better off carrying concealed then just keeping it in your car. After trying a couple of different concealed carry holsters I have settled on the hybrid holsters like Galco KingTuk and the Crossbreed holsters. I think keeping a firearm in your car makes it much more likely to be stolen, no matter what it's stored in.

Wanted to add that considering we are both in the same state, the rules are pretty much the same for both of us. There are very few places I go that I can't legally carry.

All of the lock boxes can be broken into given enough time and the fact that your vehicle can be stolen they would have plenty of time to break in. The biometric lock boxes are pretty easy to break into. Look it up on youtube, I have seen a couple of videos demonstrating how easy they are to defeat.

turtlespeed

I see Im getting boxed in fast...so I punch it to try and squeeze through...only to get hit by the lincoln regardless.

Defensive driving would have avoided all this trouble. You didn't have to try to outrun the Lincoln.

Yes, the driver of the Lincoln should absolutely be required to attend that course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfPQnGpIjY
The Lincoln driver was playing this song.:)

If it's a loaded weapons, unless it's on my person it's secured. People come into my house all the time for a variety of reasons - it's not just kids that I'm worried about. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but people are ridiculously stupid sometimes.

Beowolf, did you mount the Nanovault in your vehicle or is it lose? Looks like it comes with a security cable that can be secured to something?

I am a roaming IT professional. I have a multitude of clients I service including Chase and Wells Fargo ATM machines. While most of the ATM machines I service are outside, some are inside the bank and I cannot carry inside so I plan on keeping my pistol in my car for most of my endeavors while working.

SkyCoi

...Beowolf, did you mount the Nanovault in your vehicle or is it lose? Looks like it comes with a security cable that can be secured to something?

It comes with a cable, looped on both ends with a swaged connector. The nanovault has a cutout in the side that locks the cable in place, and you loop it on itself around something reasonably strong. The seat mount works.

I agree with Beowolf that it is better than the glove box, but not by a whole lot. It's just sheet steel.
What it does is prevent a car prowler from simply grabbing it and running away. Most of them get in, grab what is available, and take off. They usually don't want to spend much time getting into a lock box (at least that's the theory).

I've seen fairly serious "Car Safes," usually 1/8 or 3/16 steel welded up with a real hasp. Those get bolted down (bolt heads are inside the safe) and a "No Shit" padlock. But again, it just makes it harder, not impossible. It hopefully makes the thief look elsewhere for an easier target.

And Regulator -

Just out of curiosity, how would you have acted in your "Car Wreck" situation if you had been armed?

Read Winsor's post (#22) and tell me what good a gun would have done in that parking lot. More importantly, what would you have done with one?

I don't know your state rules on permits and what training is required, but I very strongly suggest that you get some decent training. Not so much on the "gun" stuff, but on the legalities of use of lethal force. When you can and cannot use it (or even the threat of it).

And especially the legal aftermath of a DGU.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

...Beowolf, did you mount the Nanovault in your vehicle or is it lose? Looks like it comes with a security cable that can be secured to something?

It comes with a cable, looped on both ends with a swaged connector. The nanovault has a cutout in the side that locks the cable in place, and you loop it on itself around something reasonably strong. The seat mount works.

I agree with Beowolf that it is better than the glove box, but not by a whole lot. It's just sheet steel.
What it does is prevent a car prowler from simply grabbing it and running away. Most of them get in, grab what is available, and take off. They usually don't want to spend much time getting into a lock box (at least that's the theory).

I've seen fairly serious "Car Safes," usually 1/8 or 3/16 steel welded up with a real hasp. Those get bolted down (bolt heads are inside the safe) and a "No Shit" padlock. But again, it just makes it harder, not impossible. It hopefully makes the thief look elsewhere for an easier target.

And Regulator -

Just out of curiosity, how would you have acted in your "Car Wreck" situation if you had been armed?

Read Winsor's post (#22) and tell me what good a gun would have done in that parking lot. More importantly, what would you have done with one?

I don't know your state rules on permits and what training is required, but I very strongly suggest that you get some decent training. Not so much on the "gun" stuff, but on the legalities of use of lethal force. When you can and cannot use it (or even the threat of it).

And especially the legal aftermath of a DGU.

I took my chl class yesterday. And if I already had my chl and was carrying, I would have acted the exact same way. I would have simply left and returned to the scene of the accident. That situation didn't escalate because I left the scene when I saw things going south. My chl instructor says any day you don't have to pull your firearm and shoot someone is a good day. Not only did I have that attitude before but I feel the same way right now. They didn't encroach me within the 21 foot range. And I don't WANT to shoot anyone, I just want to be armed in case there ever is a situation where I do need to save myself and shoot to defend my or someone elses life.

beowulf

Took me a little bit but I found the link for mounting a holster under your seat. I saw this at a gun show. Looks pretty good if you drive a lot.

http://www.accufireproducts.com/gunsling-r.html

Great work.

Thanks.

Maybe now a certain Moderator will admit he's wrong.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Fair enough. Too many "keyboard cowboys" think that pulling out a gun would have helped in that situation. Some seem to think that because you can "stand your ground" that you should.

Running away, when possible, should always be at the top of the decision tree.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Fair enough. Too many "keyboard cowboys" think that pulling out a gun would have helped in that situation. Some seem to think that because you can "stand your ground" that you should.

Running away, when possible, should always be at the top of the decision tree.

If it's a good enough tactic for King Arthur, it's good enough for me.

regulator

I'm going to tell you the same thing I told that fat skank with titties down to her ankles. Were you there? Because his lane ended and it was 100% his fault. Thank you come again.

Being in the right did not prevent your accident, did it?

Defensive driving would have done.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

SkyCoi

If it's a loaded weapons, unless it's on my person it's secured. People come into my house all the time for a variety of reasons - it's not just kids that I'm worried about. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but people are ridiculously stupid sometimes.

Beowolf, did you mount the Nanovault in your vehicle or is it lose? Looks like it comes with a security cable that can be secured to something?

I just use the security cable. Like I said it's not used all that often.