regulator

Biometric/Fingerprint Trigger Locks

I have a few firearms, but nothing in comparison to some as far as collections go. I have an ACR I like to shoot targets with @ 200 yards, and a old 22 LR and a M1 Carbine my father gave me and finally a .38 s&w house gun for protection my father also gave me. I currently don't have a CHL but I had an incident that happened on friday that changed my mind. I was driving in Houston for my job and I had to go run a ticket at a Dillards in a mall in the west part of houston. I decided to get off the freeway and take what looked like a 'shortcut' but ended up becoming a massive pain in my ass. The street I was on was Bissonnett. Its under construction and I was in the middle lane, which goes straight...the left lane either turns left. There was a lincoln town car in the left lane and and when the light turned green I proceeded to go straight as well as the car to the left of me which should have turned. I see Im getting boxed in fast...so I punch it to try and squeeze through...only to get hit by the lincoln regardless. I point at the driver and tell him to pull over. The driver hops out and we discuss what happened and then 4 women riding in his car jump out and start yelling at me telling me I hit him...it was all my fault...yadda yadda. So I knew the situation was going south fast, so I wished the women a happy holidays and told them they look nice (they were fucking nasty by the way) but I was trying to peacfully trying to resolve the situation. I get on my yellow pages app on my phone and pull up the closest police station on bissonnett. Oh goody. It's only 2.1 miles away. So I call the number and request a police offices to be dispatched to my location. I answer a battery of stupid questions [did you rear end a police officer? Why the fuck would I call and ask for another cop if I rear ended a cop to begin with?] So I just close my door to my car and I can see the women yelling at the young man that was driving the car. I figure this is because he doesn't have insurance and in houston you get arrested for not being financially responsible. Well, I wait. I wait. Next thing you know I've been there for over an hour and a half. I call back that number and get told that it can take 2 hours for police to respond to non-emergency calls. So the driver is getting impatient. He tells me. Yo I'm not gonna wait much longer. I got shit to do. He said if you want you can follow me to my apartment around half a mile down the road and we can exchange insurance since 'mine isn't in my car'. Well I should have known he straight up didn't have insurance, but I was supposed to be working...my work phone was blowing up...and I was seriously late for a call. So I went against my better judgement and left the scene after waiting for an hour and 40 minutes and went back to his apartment. Now if the driver was as rude as the women he was with...I would have never have left, but for some reason he seemed trustworthy. Well I follow him back to his apartment complex where he basically did the same maneuver he did to me to 2 other drivers along the way and we finally get there. I see a parking spot at the very front and I BACK in. He comes to my car and I tell him to get his insurance card and well make the exchange of information. Well he starts to go up and I see this nasty old woman with titties hanging down to her ankles saying...TYRELL YOU AINT GOT TO GIVE HIM SHIT! He hit YOU. And I said...excuse me? Were you there? Then he said...please sir don't yell at my mamma. As soon as that happened, I saw 4 burly ass dudes say...fuck that whiteboy and start heading towards me. Yes I was the only white person in that whole place. So I jump in my car and I peeled the fuck out of there and left black marks on the pavement from my tires. I go back to the scene when the cop finally showed up and I get the police report done...I called my work and tell them what happened and I wasnt running that job and to give it to someone else. I came home and signed up for a CHL class and borrowed my dads beretta 9mm for my class today. Of course my dad has told me that I will get a brand new .40 S&W for getting my CHL and he's been telling me that for quite a while but never felt the need for one until this event. So my question is...I have a granddaughter that comes by and I have a closet where all of my guns are located and locked up every time she comes by. But since I will keep the .40 in my car I wanted to know if any of you have experience with biometric or fingerprint trigger locks and if you have any recommendations, and also if you have any recommendations for a holster for fitting my pistol in my car...possibly in the center console or under the dash.

Thank you in advance.

I don't have a bio, I didn't feel it was worth the cost. I have the normal nanovault with combo tumblers. It comes with a steel cable that I routed to a seat mount in my truck. A seat mount is about the strongest thing you can find in a vehicle to loop a cable to. I also liked that the one I bought seemed smaller than a bio activated one. I have a Chevy Avalanche with a sizeable center console, so the nanobvault fits in there with no problem and the cable that attaches the safe to my seat doesn't interfere with the console latching and locking as a second security measure. Typically if I'm in the truck my firearm is down in the drivers door panel where I can easily access it. I only worry about securing it in the the safe when I have to leave the gun in the truck. I think my removable radio face and other easily stolen stuff spend more time in my gun safe than my gun does. :P

normiss

Because everyone carries every single weapon they own.

Your knowledge and understanding of weapons is disconcerting.

As disconcerting as your attempts at trolling.

The fact not all of a person's weapons can be carried 100% of the time is the entire point of this thread.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I disagree.

I don't see a question regarding how to carry all weapons at once.
Simply one, securely and safely.

I'm guessing THAT'S what bothers you.

I'll take the compliment from the insulting mod on being a troll. PA's being your specialty and all.
:P

normiss

I'm guessing THAT'S what bothers you.

Nothing bothers me here except your attempts to troll.

The question posed in the original post is how to safely secure some weapons when NOT carrying them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***I'm guessing THAT'S what bothers you.

Nothing bothers me here except your attempts to troll.

The question posed in the original post is how to safely secure some weapons when NOT carrying them.

No.. "So my question is...I have a granddaughter that comes by and I have a closet where all of my guns are located and locked up every time she comes by. But since I will keep the .40 in my car I wanted to know if any of you have experience with biometric or fingerprint trigger locks and if you have any recommendations..."

He keeps ALL his weapons locked up and will be carrying the .40 with him in the car.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Andy9o8

***paragraphs, please.

Or getting to the point, please. The first 95% of his OP is his usual back-handed bitching about... well, you know... THEM.

Linear explanation of events or as you put it, back handed bitching . . . it really depends on how you WANT it to read.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Andy9o8

***paragraphs, please.

Or getting to the point, please. The first 95% of his OP is his usual back-handed bitching about... well, you know... THEM.

Riddle me this batman.

And I quote YOU.

'redneck motherfucker acting like a redneck motherfucker'

So don't pretend like you are a choirboy in these forums. I used a backdrop of why I decided to pursue my CHL. If you pay attention to my story you would notice that not until when I am finished did I mention anything about race. Yet you make it sound like im a KKK race baiter with the below comment.

'The first 95% of his OP is his usual back-handed bitching about... well, you know... THEM.'

Your comment about rednecks puts you in the exact same category as anything I have said in the past about blacks...because this time I wasn't even really referencing race. But thank you for your input jesse jackson....nah you're old as dirt so you're probably more like al sharpton.

I see Im getting boxed in fast...so I punch it to try and squeeze through...only to get hit by the lincoln regardless.

Defensive driving would have avoided all this trouble. You didn't have to try to outrun the Lincoln.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

I see Im getting boxed in fast...so I punch it to try and squeeze through...only to get hit by the lincoln regardless.

Defensive driving would have avoided all this trouble. You didn't have to try to outrun the Lincoln.

Yes, the driver of the Lincoln should absolutely be required to attend that course.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

John when I realized I was getting boxed in...even though I wasnt supposed to since my lane was going straight anyway, I looked over and saw that 70% of my car was in front of his front passenger door. If I slammed on the brakes I would have had more damage to the left side of my car. I'll go outside and take a picture.

regulator

John when I realized I was getting boxed in...even though I wasnt supposed to since my lane was going straight anyway, I looked over and saw that 70% of my car was in front of his front passenger door. If I slammed on the brakes I would have had more damage to the left side of my car. I'll go outside and take a picture.

Regardless of the facts . . . you are always going to be on the wrong side of right.

There are plenty of handgun safes on the market that you can just lay your hand on to feel the buttons for the combination. They often have an outline of a hand on them showing where your hand goes. Then, you can enter the combination by feel.

If your vehicle has clearance under the seat (Jeep Wranglers do), you can attach one under the seat. Mine is upside down under the seat. All I have to do is reach under my seat, enter the combination, and a pistol is in my hand. The box can be secured to the seat post by a cable to prevent theft.

I don't consider the biometric and fingerprint stuff ready for prime time. Nor do I see how it is substantially better than a simple combination lock.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

As far as tricky locks go, be advised that it is illegal to lock a gun in an unattended automobile in a number of states. The principle is that someone who steals the car is a criminal, and has plenty of time to defeat the lock, so you have effectively just armed a criminal if your car gets stolen.

One thing I most strongly recommend if you are going to carry firearms is video. Having one or more surveillance videos running at all times if you have firearms in a public place can serve to avoid a lot of grief (assuming you are scrupulous about adhering to lethal force protocols - which I also recommend).

Think about it. If a group of people opine that you are in the wrong regarding a traffic incident when you are not, do you want to rely on their testimony regarding the use of lethal force?

If you have video running, there is also no ambiguity regarding who was at fault in the collision. Photographs of the license and driver will serve as evidence if an uninsured driver leaves the scene of the accident, and, if there is any threat of violence, the best thing you can do is to get the hell away from it.

Go ahead and get the CCW, but do not kid yourself that it is any kind of panacea. If you ever have to use lethal force in self defense, you have already screwed up repeatedly to find yourself in that position, and you are likely on a roll.

A defensive firearm is like a pilot's emergency parachute. It's nice to have it on hand, but the only time you really need to use it is if you are officially dead otherwise - and its use may not change that outcome.

I understand wanting to have a firearm on hand, but having one would not likely have improved your prospects in the situation in which you found yourself. I can think of a number of ways in which it could have made things infinitely worse.

If all you are stuck with is repair of bodywork, you got off easy.

BSBD,

Winsor

turtlespeed

Yes, the driver of the Lincoln should absolutely be required to attend that course.

Defensive driving doesn't involve expecting the OTHER guy to make the right decision to avoid an accident.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.