skypuppy

rcmp want to reclassify some rifles as restricted/prohibited

I thought we elected politicians to make laws so we had some sort of controls on them - like they campaign on them, then once they're in the house they debate them before voting on them. But it seems here in canada some want bureaucrats to pass laws. I guess that makes it safer for politicians - they can say it wasn't their idea....

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2013/12/20131221-160152.html
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Dianne Feinstein has already stated several times that she wants to confiscate every single firearms from every citizen if she could do it. Just looking for the perfect tragedy to happen to use it as political ammunition. Typical. Molon Labe Dianne.

Yes I know this is canada, the place that already had a failed gun registration system, yet they keep wanting to infringe on their citizens rights just like feinstein.

regulator

Dianne Feinstein has already stated several times that she wants to confiscate every single firearms from every citizen if she could do it. Just looking for the perfect tragedy to happen to use it as political ammunition. Typical. Molon Labe Dianne.

Yes I know this is canada, the place that already had a failed gun registration system, yet they keep wanting to infringe on their citizens rights just like feinstein.

We don't have a Second Amendment or a Feinstein therefore I'm not sure what Canadian rights you are speaking of.

For what it's worth;

Our "pro-gun lobby" represents a minority.

Sun Media is struggling to financially survive by achieving a national footing so unsurprisingly concentrates on emotional or inflammatory types of items to set itself apart. In some cases, attempting to overemphasize perceived discord.

(IMHO) Some Canadians unfortunately allow the influence of US news, broadcasts and op/ed pieces to confuse their perception of Canadian concepts in law, parliamentary procedure, and our justice system.

aphid

We don't have a Second Amendment or a Feinstein therefore I'm not sure what Canadian rights you are speaking of.

For what it's worth;

Sun Media is struggling to financially survive by achieving a national footing so unsurprisingly concentrates on emotional or inflammatory types of items to set itself apart. In some cases, attempting to overemphasize perceived discord.

(IMHO) Some Canadians unfortunately allow the influence of US news, broadcasts and op/ed pieces to confuse their perception of Canadian concepts in law, parliamentary procedure, and our justice system.

Shhhh - stop injecting facts into the discussion. You will confuse him.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

kelpdiver

I would hope you have some form of a right to self determination, happiness, self defense, etc. You're not cattle, right?

What that has to do with us not having a 2nd or a politician named Feinstein is beyond me, but, if you are legitimately interested:

An Overview of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1355760105725/1355760725223

The implied scandal that perhaps a particular firearm may enter restricted status means quite little in real fact. It is legal to own/possess them. You just have to go through some hoops. Some folks will fail. That, as in many things, is life.

Source: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_keep_and_bear_arms#Canada)

"Possession of a restricted firearm requires a Restricted Possession and Acquisition License or RPAL. An RPAL may be obtained at the same time as, or subsequent to, a PAL with additional testing and scrutiny by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. An Authorization to Transport allows RPAL holders to transport their restricted firearms directly to and from gun ranges and gunsmiths or to a change of address."

Rob said in his OP: "I thought we elected politicians to make laws so we had some sort of controls on them - like they campaign on them, then once they're in the house they debate them before voting on them. But it seems here in canada some want bureaucrats to pass laws. "

The article he cited opens with: "The RCMP is pushing Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney to list more guns as restricted or prohibited".

Mr. Blaney is an elected official serving in the cabinet of the ruling Conservative Party of Canada. He is not a bureaucrat.

For the record, once again I could give a ratzass about the gun debate. On either side of the border. Or either side of the debate. I just attempt to correct apoplectic hyperbole and misinformation to promote an agenda.

ETA: In the interest of full disclosure, I own firearms. The part of the country I live in is well-known for some very fine large game hunting, featuring deer, elk, caribou, moose, bear, sheep and more.

CanuckInUSA

Sun Media is struggling to financially survive

Outside of the CBC who receives their annual 1+ billion dollar bailout, what print media news organization in Canada is NOT struggling these days?

Note I said Sun Media, of which their print paper is a division. I was speaking of the broader company holding which is currently pushing the CRTC to force cable and digital broadcast distributors to carry and bundle the SunNews channel to all customers across the country, passing on the ancillary costs to the consumers.

Sun TV is just asking to be treated the same way the CBC, CTV and Global TV are when it comes to access on Cable TV. But that is Sun TV. Sun Media the broader company was in print media long before Sun TV was ever brought online and the OP's article came from the print media division, not the TV channel and yet that didn't stop you from slamming them.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

kelpdiver

I would hope you have some form of a right to self determination, happiness, self defense, etc. You're not cattle, right?

Canada happens to have a very robust cattle industry. Do you live in a cave or something?

CanuckInUSA

Sun TV is just asking to be treated the same way the CBC, CTV and Global TV are when it comes to access on Cable TV. But that is Sun TV. Sun Media the broader company was in print media long before Sun TV was ever brought online and the OP's article came from the print media division, not the TV channel and yet that didn't stop you from slamming them.

While I hardly think my comment about their style or approach constitutes slamming, I certainly can't countenance getting into a pissing match over them. Or the other networks for that matter.

You are correct, the actual source of the OP's citation was immaterial and purely dismissive on my part, so kindly consider that one paragraph retracted.

John

aphid

***Dianne Feinstein has already stated several times that she wants to confiscate every single firearms from every citizen if she could do it. Just looking for the perfect tragedy to happen to use it as political ammunition. Typical. Molon Labe Dianne.

For what it's worth;

The right to keep and bear arms is not granted by the Second Amendment to the US Constitution. It is the birthright of every free individual. The Second Amendment just sets out in the document that created the US Government that it has definite restrictions. That is one of them. The reasons are clear.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

It is the birthright of every free individual.

Not quite. I thing you have to agree it is only the right of mentally competent individuals. I am not sure a 3 year old is mentally competent to bear arms, yet alone a newborn.

A birthright by definition is a right you are born with, not grow into.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

DiverMike

It is the birthright of every free individual.

Not quite. I thing you have to agree it is only the right of mentally competent individuals. I am not sure a 3 year old is mentally competent to bear arms, yet alone a newborn.

A birthright by definition is a right you are born with, not grow into.

[Joe Philosopher]
Everyone is born with the right to defend himself. If a rugrat is sentient enough to grab his rattle and bop the dog in the head when it tries to eat the oatmeal out of the kid's bowl, there you go.
[/Joe Philosopher]

[Joe Philosopher]
Yes, but then it escalates. I need to give a 3 year old a Glock 26 to defend himself against a rugrat who has a history of assaulting defenseless animals. Or maybe I could get him a Kahr 380, since the size of the hand grip on that gun is only suitable for a 3 year old.

[/Joe Philosopher]
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

kelpdiver

Yes, cause you couldn't be happy without a gun.