Darius11

The Shomrim-(religious Police) and the lack of media coverage.

I am curios as to how any mention of Shari law gets a few posts here even when they are from the most nefarious sources,
Yet the actual practice of religious law being enforced by a religious Militia on US citizens in the US is never brought up?

Its happening right here in NY daily.

Just think what would the media coverage be and how many threads would be on here if a single mosque sent two guys out to act like religious police?

Shomrim (neighborhood watch group)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Shomrim.

Shomrim (Hebrew: שומרים‎, lit. "watchers" or "guards") are organizations of volunteer Jewish civilian patrols which have been set up in Hasidic and Haredi neighborhoods in the United States and England to combat burglary, vandalism, mugging, assault, domestic violence, nuisance crimes, and antisemitic attacks. They also help locate missing people.

Shomrim volunteers are unarmed and do not have the authority to make arrests. They are effective in tracking and detaining suspects until police arrive. Occasionally Shomrim members have been cited for using excessive force against non-Jewish suspects.[1][2][3]

In Brooklyn,[4] Baltimore,[5] and London [6] many residents call Shomrim instead of the police due to the former's quicker response time. However, the volunteer patrol has been criticized by the New York City Police Department for not always notifying police when a call comes in.[1] Additionally, Brooklyn Shomrim organizers have been accused of withholding information on suspected child molesters and Jewish criminals, in keeping with an interpretation of the Torah prohibition against mesirah (informing on a fellow Jew to the non-Jewish authorities).[7

Just blown away but how little press this shit is getting.

Should this be allowed?
Why is there so little coverage?

What would you do if you are swamped by van filled with Shomrim?

This guy shot them and rightfully got away with it. At least the law works.

http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/failed_messiahcom/2013/11/man-who-shot-4-shomrim-members-acquitted-on-all-but-one-charge-456.html
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

this is a local story and does make a lot of headlines in NYC area. the NYTimes has covered it and we recently discussed it on this board. there are closed christian societies that have similar problems too. so its not a jewish problem but a extreme fundamental religious problem, IMO.

I think it would get more attention if they were christian or muslim, for sure. the NYT would be especially offended if this was a christian practice. the PC rules of NY society tend to be more tolerant of jewish quirkiness and have zero tolerance for christian quirkiness.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Yea i am in NY too so i only get info from local sources or friends who have eye witnessed some douchbaggery. This would be on every TV if it was Muslim or Christin for sure.

Yeah, but there is no mention of honor killings, the genital mutilation of little girls, nor all those ungrateful immigrants who come here to blow us up. A little lame. Do you think they get away with this in Dallas?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Yeah, but there is no mention of honor killings, the genital mutilation of little girls, nor all those ungrateful immigrants who come here to blow us up.

There are plenty of genital mutilations in the religion. There is also many accounts of pedophile, and espionage.

There are actually similar if not exact cases like the ones you mention in all religions, Thank god they are a small group in all of them.

Edit to add:
Forgot to answer your questions: would this happen in Dallas?

No, and it shouldn't happen anywhere on US soil.

My point is no religious police should have any authority here. That's why we have a Constitution. Also just annoyed that we set different standards based on Public prescription which is often not based on facts.

[Reply]My point is no religious police should have any authority here. That's why we have a Constitution.

According to the article they don't. If they are holding people for the police it's an indication that they recognize no legal authority. They are security. Neighborhood watch, pretty much. Electing new block captains kind of things.

Is it only because they are grouped by religion that you're bothered? One could look at this and put "Occupy Wall Street" and see similar things. Provide their own security. Keep a lid on thefts, rapes and other criminal activities occurring within. Etc.

Point is that pretty much any group tries to police itself, and sometimes resorts to draconian measures. Disneyland's security is pretty hardcore.

Really - aside from the sidelocks and yarmulkes, how are they different from a neighborhood watch?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Is it only because they are grouped by religion that you're bothered? One could look at this and put "Occupy Wall Street" and see similar things. Provide their own security. Keep a lid on thefts, rapes and other criminal activities occurring within. Etc.

A few things bother me about this issue.

One is your point of view and reaction (not just you but the general reaction), I know if I just posted Islamic police are walking the streets of New York and harassing people, holding them, using force, hiding pedophiles, and hiding crimes of fellow Muslims you would have a much different reaction

Also it’s not as benign as you assume it to be, as mentioned in the above examples.

Also they roam around the city in vans! if you are going to other neighborhoods your no longer your neighbor hood watch, your acting police.

Point is that pretty much any group tries to police itself, and sometimes resorts to draconian measures. Disneyland's security is pretty hardcore.

Really - aside from the sidelocks and yarmulkes, how are they different from a neighborhood watch?

One, even in your religious group you do not have the authority to enforce anything on the public who is not of your group or belief, Two you are not a nabghorhood watch if your travelling like a police force from naghborhood to naghborhood.

Also once again my biggest issue is your reaction and reactions like it, and that any religious group is trying to enforce anything on the public.

Why do you feel you need to express an overly understanding and forgiving view when you know you would not have the same reaction if it was Muslims?

Or are you claiming your ok with if they were Muslims doing the same thing?

Yet the actual practice of religious law being enforced by a religious Militia on US citizens in the US is never brought up?

Click here for NYPost Article

Because it is a losing battle. The media won't touch it. The Shorim even severely beat a young male black individual, who happened to be the son of a very high ranking NYPD supervisor a few years ago. They have so much political influence and heavy connections, the high ranking NYPD supervisor, couldn't even make a complaint about them.

It has become a way of life in brooklyn where the non-jewish residents have accepted the injustice served to them.
What do protesters want? Dead cops! When do they want it? Every 2 weeks!

Darius11

I am curios as to how any mention of Shari law gets a few posts here even when they are from the most nefarious sources,

Where does it say anything about the Shomrim enforcing religious law? To me it sounds like a neighborhood watch group that has had some instances where they've overstepped their bounds. And the ones who have used excessive force have been arrested for their actions.

I would have no problem with a mosque organizing a neghborhood watch, so long as they didn't push their beliefs on me. If all you're doing is following criminals and being a witness for the police reports, I don't care if you're Muslim, Jewish, Christian, athiest, Pastafarian, or anything else.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I'm not saying I don't have a problem with it. Packing into a van and forming goon squads to clean up the rabble is bad news. They're thugs and acting like thugs with the stated purpose of ridding a criminal element from their neighborhoods.

The difference between me and so many others is that I don't look so much at the self-identity of those doing things. Are they a bunch of Christians going around? Muslims? Jews? Scientologists? I don't care.

Thugs are thugs regardless of religious affiliation. There are Mormon enclaves that get plenty of press. I seems to recall something about 20 years ago dealing with Branch Davidians covering rapes and abuse and violating gun laws. Made big news. How about "The Family?" How about Scientology and the various allegations of that?

I'm not seeing differences in how the Jewish community is treated so much as I'm seeing similarities. We really don't know what the hell is going on. Much like any of a number of churches and religious sects.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The most recent Baltimore case was headlines for weeks. The assailant was convicted and fled to Israel to avoid jail. It was very similar to the Martin case because it was a young black kid in a white jewish neighborhood. IF the "security patrol" ( as they called themselves) would have been armed, it would have been even more similar.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I'm not seeing the problem. They are participating in a neighborhood watch program. They hold people for the police. I don't see anything suggesting that are enforcing religious ideals. The cited wiki article says they have been cited for excessive violence and accused of hiding evidence. Another article in here says a guy who was masturbating in front of children was detained, may have been physically assaulted, shot four people, and he seems to be a hero?

If the religious part is omitted from this post, I don't think there would be much to complain about. If muslims were organizing neighborhood watches and only assisting law enforcement, I would be fine with it.

In Alabama, anyone having actual knowledge of the crime can make an arrest. It's commonly called a 'Citizen's Arrest'. According to the article, this is not the law in NY.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

In Alabama, anyone having actual knowledge of the crime can make an arrest. It's commonly called a 'Citizen's Arrest'. According to the article, this is not the law in NY.

The article isn't well-written on that point. NY's citizen's arrest statute is similar to Alabama's.
Whuffos. :S
:D:D

Because it is a losing battle. The media won't touch it. The Shorim even severely beat a young male black individual, who happened to be the son of a very high ranking NYPD supervisor a few years ago. They have so much political influence and heavy connections, the high ranking NYPD supervisor, couldn't even make a complaint about them.

It has become a way of life in brooklyn where the non-jewish residents have accepted the injustice served to the

You hit the nail on the head. They are using there tribalism to influence,watch each others back, cover up crimes and get away with it.

Hmmm where have i seen that before. :S

I would have no problem with a mosque organizing a neghborhood watch, so long as they didn't push their beliefs on me. If all you're doing is following criminals and being a witness for the police reports, I don't care if you're Muslim, Jewish, Christian, athiest, Pastafarian, or anything else.

again i don't understand why people twist and turn to make this ok,

the fact is there not just "following criminals and being a witness for the police reports" if you have read any of the posts you would already know this.

You can follow criminals and be a witness for the police reports all you like, that is not what is happening here as explained before.

There are plenty of genital mutilations in the religion. There is also many accounts of pedophile

And on occasion they combine both. Some Orthodox Jews have their child circumcised by a Mohel, this person snips off the foreskin and then places the babies penis in his mouth and sucks off the blood. A few years ago a couple of babies died after contracting herpes from the process.

Curious, what is purpose of your thread? do these acts upset you or is it that you feel the Jews are getting away with it? i remember a similar thread where you posted, "Don't you know you can't say anything negative about Jewish people, no criticism allowed no matter how true, or your a Nazi." that was in reference to a similar situation where they covered up child abuse

that quote is rather telling to me of your motivation. makes me think you are more concerned with the Jew's getting away with something as opposed to another extremist religious group doing something improper. i dont think you like jewish people and your writing seems to imply you feel they are permitted to do things others are not.

for the record and in the spirit of openness, im not jewish. i do not have "a lot of Jewish friends" and have even been accused of anti antisemitism at work. mostly because i fight with alot of salesmen who happen to be jewish. so to them it looks like i dont like jewish people when in reality i just hate salesmen. I'm a proud Italian American who had a great Catholic education and upbringing.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Darius11

It has become a way of life in brooklyn where the non-jewish residents have accepted the injustice served to the

You hit the nail on the head. They are using there tribalism to influence,watch each others back, cover up crimes and get away with it.

US Federal Gov on both sides?:S>:(

Darius11

again i don't understand why people twist and turn to make this ok,

the fact is there not just "following criminals and being a witness for the police reports" if you have read any of the posts you would already know this.

You can follow criminals and be a witness for the police reports all you like, that is not what is happening here as explained before.

I think that you're the one twisting and turning this to make it not okay. Have there been some cases where they go too far? Yes, but pretty much every group has some individuals that go too far. But demonizing the entire group because of a few bad apples is pretty messed up. Its like saying that since some police officers have used excessive force that all of them are terrible people.

If you read my entire post, you would have seen that I don't support them doing more than following criminals and being a witness for police reports.

And you never did answer the question that I, and a few others, have asked. At what point have they enforced religious law?

What if this wasn't a Jewish group? Would you have the same problem with them? What if they were a Christian group or an overzealous girl scout troop? Would be hearing from you then?
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

weekender

Curious, what is purpose of your thread? do these acts upset you or is it that you feel the Jews are getting away with it? i remember a similar thread where you posted, "Don't you know you can't say anything negative about Jewish people, no criticism allowed no matter how true, or your a Nazi." that was in reference to a similar situation where they covered up child abuse

that quote is rather telling to me of your motivation. makes me think you are more concerned with the Jew's getting away with something as opposed to another extremist religious group doing something improper. i dont think you like jewish people and your writing seems to imply you feel they are permitted to do things others are not.

for the record and in the spirit of openness, im not jewish. i do not have "a lot of Jewish friends" and have even been accused of anti antisemitism at work. mostly because i fight with alot of salesmen who happen to be jewish. so to them it looks like i dont like jewish people when in reality i just hate salesmen. I'm a proud Italian American who had a great Catholic education and upbringing.

I don't speak for Darius. But, I took the posting to be more a complaint about the difference in reaction by society as a whole.

If this "neighbourhood watch" program consisted of nothing but muslims and there was some mention of sharia along the way, his contention was that reaction would be completely different.

I agree with Darius, I also think the reaction would be entirely different.

SkyDekker

I don't speak for Darius. But, I took the posting to be more a complaint about the difference in reaction by society as a whole.

If this "neighbourhood watch" program consisted of nothing but muslims and there was some mention of sharia along the way, his contention was that reaction would be completely different.

I agree with Darius, I also think the reaction would be entirely different.

Do we want more outrage over the Shomrim actions in the cases where there's really no religious law being enforced or crimes committed? More outrage in the instances where they break a law? More non-specific outrage over them in general? Do we want less non-specific outrage over muslims in general? Less outrage when muslims do something that's not illegal? Do we want less outrage when a muslim breaks a law?

I'm generally tired of people who express a desire for more outrage.

Darius11

that book right? "It Takes a Village"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants