JohnnyMarko

Family Says They Did Tip Gay Server, Didn't Leave Note

quade

It would also go away if the US paid service workers a realistic wage and we abolished tipping.

Just sayin'.

funny, i the waiters i know would never want that. they make more by not paying taxes. you make them straight wage employees and suddenly its not such a good job.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

DanG

The story suggested it was a not unusual event for SF fine restaurants, so it may be worth holding onto the receipt long enough to see the charge post online. (Andy - I've never seen a secondary tip charge post...you see it a lot? Or for a place you frequent?)

If I look at my on-line statement shortly after a meal, there will usually be a pending charge for the non-tip bill. The next day or two, that charge will disappear and an approved charge for the full amount will be applied to
the account.

Yes, this is what I'm referring to. Sorry if unclear.

And you paid those shitty servers a generous gratuity through defaulted obligation.

I guess. There was no service so bad that I wouldn't have left a 15% tip in the States anyway.

I prefer to know the price up front. The only restaurant in Italy that ticked me off was the one that printed "gratuity not included" in tiny letters on the back of the menu, but in big letters on the bill. I thought that was tacky. It wasn't the server's fault.

- Dan G

Oh, that's not true by any means. They do have something to gain; their defense of the "war on Christians" and their egos all while maintaining some level of anonymity. I'd look at it more like, they have nothing to lose by lying.

With the thermite... In the bath house.

:-/
Owned by Remi #?

Really? Thousands lay dead in the Philippines with more dying every day hundreds of thousands of people homeless. Saudi Arabia is talking about getting the bomb to keep up with Irans new situation.... And this shit is news? FFS:S:S:S

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This was in the local newspapers quite a bit today, here in Westchester County, NY. Apparently, the female/gay waitress went to a high school somewhere close by. Numerous people have come forth claiming she lies as a way of life. The family is responding because they're receiving enormous negative coverage on facebook, and actual death threats. The female/gay waitress has been making money from contributions via facebook. She is no longer "scheduled to work" at the restaurant.

Not that I give a shit.
We are all engines of karma

Really? Thousands lay dead in the Philippines with more dying every day hundreds of thousands of people homeless. Saudi Arabia is talking about getting the bomb to keep up with Irans new situation.... And this shit is news? FFS

Compared to the feature pieces that my local news station is playing about how the top results of a google search aren't sorted by price low to high and how to find the physical locations of Black Friday sales items in Walmart, this is Pulitzer material.
Owned by Remi #?

tkhayes

30,000 children starved to death in the world today. And we have a thread about tips at a restaurant.

cmon, lighten up.

This isnt the Mensa, feed the poor children while solving the middle east's problems, forum. Its the speakers corner forum of a skydiving website. people come here to make fun of others and kill some time.

Are people really offended that this is a topic? by all means, please if your offended, might i suggest logging off and doing something more productive.

not me. I'm going to stay online till my wife gets in the city. then im going out to rack up my expense account on over priced drinks and food. i WILL tip 20%, no matter of service. not because i care but because i'm not paying. its all Tarp money anyway.

(the last part was just me poking the serious people. my bank didnt actually take any Tarp money)
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Are people really offended that this is a topic? by all means, please if your offended, might i suggest logging off and doing something more productive.

Yup. Or if you're too offended by the banter here being more or less important than world peace, you can always go to the bonfire and talk about boobies instead.

;)
Owned by Remi #?

I am not 'offended'. I am rolling my eyes....

Most people roll their eyes for a reason. Maybe you should see a doctor.

In other words, I'm sure there are thousands of forums that only discuss things that tkhayes considers important. Go enjoy them.
Owned by Remi #?

StreetScooby

This was in the local newspapers quite a bit today, here in Westchester County, NY. Apparently, the female/gay waitress went to a high school somewhere close by. Numerous people have come forth claiming she lies as a way of life. The family is responding because they're receiving enormous negative coverage on facebook, and actual death threats. The female/gay waitress has been making money from contributions via facebook. She is no longer "scheduled to work" at the restaurant.

Not that I give a shit.

I heard that too:

http://gawker.com/waitress-who-lied-about-anti-gay-receipt-has-told-far-w-1472830906

Perhaps her gravest lie before the reciept episode involved telling her acquaintances that she served in Afghanistan, and that she was the sole survivor of an explosion that wiped out her entire platoon.

Reached for comment by the Journal News, a Marines spokesman said Morales had indeed served four years in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve until May of 2013, but there was "no indication of combat service in Iraq or Afghanistan."

Though he was unable to release the cause of her discharge, the spokesman did say Morales "did not fulfill her reserve obligation."

--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

JohnnyMarko

The credit card statement, the way the waitress reacted when she was interviewed, the fact that us gays love creating drama....

I agree, the family COULD be lying...So we've heard the waitress's side, and the families side...I guess pending the final verdict, it's up in the air.

Or maybe the restaurant kept the tip.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

Whoa, whoa, whoa . . . why do you automatically believe the family?

I dunno about where you eat, but at the restaurants I've been eating at in the last several years TWO copies of the receipt come; one for the merchant and one for the customer.

The ONLY one I've ever written on for the purposes of tips and totals is the merchant copy.

Think about it.

After being burned several times at different restaurants in a relatively short period of time, I stopped putting a tip on the credit card whenever possible. I leave cash for a tip, and put a -0- in the tip line and the total on both receipts.

If I get caught without cash for a tip, I'll write the tip on both receipts so I know for sure what I gave as the tip when I get my monthly cc statement.

I don't like it when someone 'assumes' what tip I'm going to give for a meal.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Flagellation of decesed equines is a local sport of great import.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

quade

***...imo, the family is telling the truth. they have nothing to gain by lying where as...

Oh, that's not true by any means. They do have something to gain; their defense of the "war on Christians" and their egos all while maintaining some level of anonymity. I'd look at it more like, they have nothing to lose by lying.

Notice how the waitress has put her face in front of the camera and the family certainly hasn't.

I'm not saying that means one is more or less honest, but from a game theory strategy, the family has zero to lose on their side so far all while being able to attack the waitress.

The waitresses co-workers, friends, and ex-partners have come forward saying that she lied to them about having brain cancer and having her home severely damaged during Sandy.

The Marine Corps says that she was not the lone survivor of an IED attack in Afghanistan, but was a reservist who went to Romania and was later discharged OTH because she stopped showing up for drill.

Do you still think the the family is more likely to be lying?
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

******...imo, the family is telling the truth. they have nothing to gain by lying where as...

Notice how the waitress has put her face in front of the camera and the family certainly hasn't.

I'm not saying that means one is more or less honest, but from a game theory strategy, the family has zero to lose on their side so far all while being able to attack the waitress.

The waitresses co-workers, friends, and ex-partners have come forward saying that she lied to them about having brain cancer and having her home severely damaged during Sandy.

The Marine Corps says that she was not the lone survivor of an IED attack in Afghanistan, but was a reservist who went to Romania and was later discharged OTH because she stopped showing up for drill.

Do you still think the the family is more likely to be lying?

Brain cancer can fuck with your head. Just sayin'.