JohnnyMarko

Family Says They Did Tip Gay Server, Didn't Leave Note

The ONLY one I've ever written on for the purposes of tips and totals is the merchant copy.

I don't bother with the customer copy at familiar places unless I need a receipt for reimbursement for work, but sometimes I accidentally fill it out because I don't notice which copy it is.

When I'm traveling, out of town, or just *feel* like it sometimes I'll fill it out and make sure it matches my statement. The more I"m spending, the more likely I am to fill it out.

I don't see what this family has to gain by coming forward other than wanting the truth told. That tends to make me believe them more than the waitress.
Owned by Remi #?

Why does it bother you so much? Someone is lying and being shitty. That's what people do.

Well... if you're gay (not you, you know what I mean) it tends to piss you off when another person is the brunt of an insult because they are gay. It tends to piss you off even more when another gay person appears to be making the shit up and gets busted for it. Shit's hard enough already.

I'm not sure who's right... but it's interesting for the reason above (to me).
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

I don't see what this family has to gain by coming forward other than wanting the truth told. That tends to make me believe them more than the waitress.

Don't forget the restaurant owner is getting a lot of business and press from this too and likely escalated the original press to keep it going.

Clearly the Dan comment:
- family intent - "they told us a dude was serving us, you're not a dude, hahahah"

overly sensitive server takes it wrong - "hahahahaha - you look like a dude. and we're mindreaders and can 'just tell' you're gay - that must be why you look like a dude - hahahaha at you"

I visualize the scenario - an overly sensitive server is put off by the "Dan" comment and takes it not as intended. She JUMPS to her stereotype of what she 'thinks' they are and just fills in the blanks on her petty little scenario.

I hope she didn't muck with their food too.

The restaurant is serving shoulder chips apparently.

She's really putting a horrible face on a social cause that needs natural movement and quiet, sincere acceptance - not angry and petty and contrived confrontation.

People like this set back their causes again and again.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Jeez, everybody's a heckler. You come up here and take the mike awhile.

Alright ladies and gentlemen. Remember we have a show every night at 8, and two on Friday. Have a great night, and be kind to your wait staff.

Unless they're gay, then be a dick.

- Dan G

She's really putting a horrible face on a social cause that needs natural movement and quiet, sincere acceptance - not angry and petty and contrived confrontation.

People like this set back their causes again and again.

I agree. This is just another "unproven" set of statements, but...

"But Morales has been caught in multiple lies, telling co-workers she shaved her head because she had brain cancer and later telling them it was her friend who had brain cancer, her colleagues and friends said."

http://www.lohud.com/article/20131126/NEWS/311260034/
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

I don't bother with the customer copy at familiar places unless I need a receipt for reimbursement for work, but sometimes I accidentally fill it out because I don't notice which copy it is.

When I'm traveling, out of town, or just *feel* like it sometimes I'll fill it out and make sure it matches my statement. The more I"m spending, the more likely I am to fill it out.

A couple nights ago the evening news did an expose of sorts (remember when network news was relevant and they would do lurid stories during Sweeps week - another outdated notion?) on the habit of restaurants to pad the tips. Now that most places do not use carbons, but instead just print two copies, it's easy to do anything you want. But most credit cards will take the customer's word for it if they complain.

The story suggested it was a not unusual event for SF fine restaurants, so it may be worth holding onto the receipt long enough to see the charge post online. (Andy - I've never seen a secondary tip charge post...you see it a lot? Or for a place you frequent?)

The story suggested it was a not unusual event for SF fine restaurants, so it may be worth holding onto the receipt long enough to see the charge post online. (Andy - I've never seen a secondary tip charge post...you see it a lot? Or for a place you frequent?)

If I look at my on-line statement shortly after a meal, there will usually be a pending charge for the non-tip bill. The next day or two, that charge will disappear and an approved charge for the full amount will be applied to the account.

- Dan G

The story suggested it was a not unusual event for SF fine restaurants, so it may be worth holding onto the receipt long enough to see the charge post online.

There are places that I would do this for. Mainly ones that I don't frequent and don't have at least a friendly relationship with the crew.

There are places I frequent that I will never do this for. It would be like checking up on friends and I'm not going to do that. This *has* gotten me burned at least once. I noticed a few $25-30 charges from a place I went to a lot on my bank statement dated while I was about 5 thousand miles away.

I went over, showed the owner the charges and he figured out who had done it, reported it to the police, and fired them. He offered to repay me, but my opinion was that just shifted the theft from me to him.

I try to balance between trust and being careful. The trust improves my quality of life.

And about the pre-tip charge? I see that all the time with my debit card. I'm not sure if it works the same with credit cards because I almost never use one to pay for a meal. I see the initial charge (pre tip) as pending and then the next day or so I see the actual post tip charge and the pending one is gone.
Owned by Remi #?

Iago

When you tip on the CC the server has to reenter the number into the POS. Most likely the server is sloppy on the keyboard and 'fat fingering' the entry.

This isn't fat fingering. This is a unsavory, and quite small, I'm sure, crowd of waiters taking advantage of the situation.

>>>>>>I just don't understand the need to print triplicates of a silly receipt.

Between that and the box store receipt; I'm always reminded of the homecoming parade tinsel showers. :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

>>>>>>I just don't understand the need to print triplicates of a silly receipt.

Between that and the box store receipt; I'm always reminded of the homecoming parade tinsel showers. :D

to be on topic, imo, the family is telling the truth. they have nothing to gain by lying where as the girl and restaurant do. also, there seems to be some character witnesses that claim she is known to be dishonest.

now for why i really posted.

my favorite is the Duane Read(drugstore) receipt. i bought some chapstick, thank you for the three foot receipt. i chuckle a little everytime.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

quade

It would also go away if the US paid service workers a realistic wage and we abolished tipping.

Just sayin'.

This - although I think there is a place for tipping where someone has been truly exceptional.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

It would also go away if the US paid service workers a realistic wage and we abolished tipping.

The entire idea that service workers get paid less than normal minimum wage is bullshit. Tipping should still be an option though.
Owned by Remi #?

weekender

...imo, the family is telling the truth. they have nothing to gain by lying where as...

Oh, that's not true by any means. They do have something to gain; their defense of the "war on Christians" and their egos all while maintaining some level of anonymity. I'd look at it more like, they have nothing to lose by lying.

Notice how the waitress has put her face in front of the camera and the family certainly hasn't.

I'm not saying that means one is more or less honest, but from a game theory strategy, the family has zero to lose on their side so far all while being able to attack the waitress.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Just sayin'.

At a restaurant like Chaya, where 18% of a > $40/person (on the low side) means nearly $8/guest/table and there is a surcharge on top to fund health care, that this problem persists shows that theory to be unlikely.

And given the tremendous range in quality of service, I'm not interested in leveling the playing field that way.

I recently spent a couple weeks in Italy, where everyone says the servers are rude and inefficient.

Had a great time, and service was no different from what I usually get in the States. No matter where you go, expect shitty service in a shitty restaurant, and good service in a good restaurant. In some of the restaurants we ate at, the service was lousy. In some they took the time to chat, offered a drink or two on the house, etc. Just like at home.

- Dan G

quade

***...imo, the family is telling the truth. they have nothing to gain by lying where as...

Oh, that's not true by any means. They do have something to gain; their defense of the "war on Christians" and their egos all while maintaining some level of anonymity. I'd look at it more like, they have nothing to lose by lying.

Notice how the waitress has put her face in front of the camera and the family certainly hasn't.

I'm not saying that means one is more or less honest, but from a game theory strategy, the family has zero to lose on their side so far all while being able to attack the waitress.

its NJ. i dont believe anyone even uses the word Christian here. im kidding mostly but its not a hot bed of anti gay activities for sure. our churches are pretty empty. this is a super liberal place.

the family is not looking for attention. they, hard to believe in this world, might not want to go public and get on the news. my opinion, i believe them more. and no, its not because im anti gay. its because it just seems more reasonable.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante