rickjump1

Popular 'Batkid' caper costs San Francisco $105K

http://news.yahoo.com/popular-batkid-caper-costs-san-120333857.htmlSAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- "The city of San Francisco spent $105,000 in public funds to honor a 5-year-old boy with leukemia who captivated the nation with his exploits as 'Batkid,' and it hopes to recoup the money through private donations, the mayor's spokeswoman said Wednesday."

"The elaborate masquerade and feel-good nature of the event made Miles a social media darling. But a city lawmaker and some residents asked whether it was appropriate for the city to subsidize a celebration for one child.

'Waiting for Miles the BatKid & Wondering how many 1000s of SF kids living off SNAP/FoodStamps could have been fed from the $$,' Supervisor Eric Mar wrote on Instagram. After Miles' supporters denounced the comment, Mar issued a statement that he simply was seeking 'similar amounts of love, compassion and empathy for children living every day in dire circumstances.'"
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

He's better known as the asshole who forced toys out of Happy Meals.

Any cost/benefit analysis shows that this was the best 105k ever spent by the city, with the city being advertized around the world. And this is a city that spends hundreds of millions on the homeless each year.

kelpdiver

Any cost/benefit analysis shows that this was the best 105k ever spent by the city, with the city being advertized around the world. And this is a city that spends hundreds of millions on the homeless each year.

I agree. The kid, most likely, has a terminal illness. Sure, they could have done it cheaper, but they will make it up with donations. This was a genuine feel good story for most; including the kid.

This. I seriously considered going to SF to see this... and I live in Ohio. I'm sure that many of the people who showed up from out of town spent lots of money over the weekend. Absolutely wonderful marketing for the city.
Owned by Remi #?

kelpdiver

I can't think of better advertising, off course now they will fuck i up
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

rickjump1

Sure, they could have done it cheaper, but they will make it up with donations.

I'm not sure they could. The bulk of this money was crowd mitigation as 14,000 people directly participated in the event, and no idea how many more simply viewed it.

(The city lost more money in loss school money when they let kids go to the Giants 2012 World Series parade)

kelpdiver

*** Sure, they could have done it cheaper, but they will make it up with donations.

I'm not sure they could. The bulk of this money was crowd mitigation as 14,000 people directly participated in the event, and no idea how many more simply viewed it.

(The city lost more money in loss school money when they let kids go to the Giants 2012 World Series parade) It's still a good investment.

^^This. I think they'll get it right back and then some with donations. And the exposure/marketing out of this is intangible.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I love how people try to say things "cost" that are already paid for… Sure, a coast guard rescue might 'cost' 100 grand depending on how you look at it, but you are already paying the pilots and swimmers and you bought the helicopters…. I bet most of that $$$ spent was spent anyway.

Plus, that was a million dollars worth of PR for San Fran.

I love how people try to say things "cost" that are already paid for… Sure, a coast guard rescue might 'cost' 100 grand depending on how you look at it, but you are already paying the pilots and swimmers and you bought the helicopters…. I bet most of that $$$ spent was spent anyway.

A good portion of this cost would not have been spent without the event.

It was crowd control and PA systems.

I have a hard time saying it was wasted for several reasons.

SkyDekker

******He's better known as the asshole who forced toys out of Happy Meals.

????

I am sure he is talking about the SF supervisor who complained, not the kid.

exactly

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-becomes-Gotham-with-Mar-as-extra-villain-4988222.php
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Duckwater

Plus, that was a million dollars worth of PR for San Fran.

The real costs of aircraft (helicopters) come from cost per hour. Every component, from the engine to tail rotor gear boxes, are time limited. These costs per hour must be figured for every hour flown before replacement. Unless, of course, they are budgeted beforehand. But then, there could be a limit put on the annual hours per aircraft. What's next? Help from the US Army or Air Force.