Darius11

Pope Denounces Buchanan and Palin for Questioning his Agenda

VATICAN CITY – Pope Francis today denounced conservative icons Pat Buchanan and Sarah Palin, calling their recent objections to his leadership style “confusing,” “hypocritical” and “borderline-heresy.” The pontiff—who was elected to lead the Roman Catholic Church in March—complained that Buchanan and Palin should “look into their own hearts” before questioning his actions, and suggested that they are “simply jealous, having repeatedly failed to be elected to high office themselves.”

Francis, formally a Cardinal from Argentina, was responding chiefly to an article published on Townhall.com Friday in which Buchanan—a longtime soldier in the so-called “culture wars”—wrote that the pope was wrong to move “the Catholic Church to a stance of non-belligerence, if not neutrality, in the culture war for the soul of the West.” Buchanan said he believes that unless the Church remains aggressively opposed to abortion and LGBT rights—as it was under Francis’s predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI—it will lose its moral authority and surrender to relativism.

In a blog post published on the Vatican’s website Monday morning, Pope Francis—who has argued that Catholics should embrace members of the LGBT community, relax efforts to convert atheists to Christianity, and stop being “obsessed” by abortion and gay marriage—responded to Buchanan’s criticism, writing that the former presidential candidate and aide to Ronald Reagan should “reflect on his own opinions” before criticizing others.

“This is a man who has dabbled in Holocaust denial and has a documented history of anti-Semitism,” Francis wrote. “Of course he doesn’t want the Church to become more inclusive. He’d probably like it if we segregated mass services from now on.”

“Opening up the Church to all of God’s children is the just and moral thing to do,” Francis continued, “and I won’t be persuaded otherwise, especially by a man who couldn’t even beat Bob Dole in the ’96 Republican primaries.”

The Holy See also had harsh words for former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, another of his American conservative critics. Palin—who, unlike Buchanan, is not a Catholic—said Thursday that she is “taken aback” by some of Francis’s decisions and is dismayed by his “liberal” comments.

“What does Palin know about leadership?” Francis wondered. “This is a woman who couldn’t even make it through one term as governor of Alaska before resigning, and who, let’s be honest, was probably the worst vice presidential nominee in American history.”

Francis also questioned Palin’s grasp of religious tenets. “I’m not convinced she knows the first thing about the Bible,” Francis wrote. “In fact, I’m not even confident that she knows how to read.”

http://www.newslo.com/pope/

Popes got jokes. :ph34r::D
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Holy cow! I think he might be too blunt even for SC here on dz.com!

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have always had doubts regarding Roman Catholicism. Recently, I started reading The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White. My doubts are solidifying into convictions. The Pope does not represent the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

not sure if you are making it clear this is satire. it is.

IMO, its poorly written. not taking sides but if the Pope did bother to speak of Palin or Buchanan i'm sure it would have been a bit more eloquent than his fake quotes here.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Oops :$. I guess I should have read more. It did sound pretty funny, though :D. It's that confirmation bias showing.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RonD1120

I have always had doubts regarding Roman Catholicism. Recently, I started reading The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White. My doubts are solidifying into convictions. The Pope does not represent the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The Pope is the leader of the Roman Catholic Church. They invented Christianity. Thats why they get to be called, The One True Church. St Peter, the original Bishop of Rome and Pope was pretty close to Jesus i believe. Funny how born agains try to distance themselves from the original. I'm not religious at all, my parents are from Rome, though. So I love how American born agains claim Catholics arent Christian when they are the ones that invented the entire belief system. I'd say you are the ones who lost your way, straying from the original teachings of St Peter.

I'm not spiritual, so dont care either way. I just thinks its hilarious how people can claim the creators of something aren't faithful enough. they are the ones who made the whole thing up.
John Frusciante

wmw999

Oops :$. I guess I should have read more. It did sound pretty funny, though :D. It's that confirmation bias showing.

Wendy P.

It is at least Anti-Palin bias showing.:)

This PROBABLY shlould have clued you in . . .

Francis also questioned Palin’s grasp of religious tenets. “I’m not convinced she knows the first thing about the Bible,” Francis wrote. “In fact, I’m not even confident that she knows how to read.”

:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Darius11

not sure if you are making it clear this is satire. it is.

GODDAMMIT :$

Possibly. :D
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

RonD1120

Read the book, the explanation has with Satan vs. the Holy Spirit.

after you read Dawkins' "The God Delusion."

i just thinks its funny that they invented Christianity but born again Christians dont believe they are Christian. its like saying James Naismith does not represent true basketball because you dont believe in the three point line. he invented it!!!
John Frusciante

I'm impressed by Pope Franics on an almost daily basis. Who'd have thought, Christian values in the Vatican!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

labrys

The Pope is the leader of the Roman Catholic Church. They invented Christianity.

Ummm. No. The first Christians were Jewish.

yes, so was Jesus. your missing my point. The Roman Catholic Church was the first Christian church. they invented the whole idea of calling yourself a Christian Church.
John Frusciante

I'm sure it's a book written entirely on proven facts and isn't at all biased to the author's belief system :S

It doesn't take much of a history lesson to see that your Christian denomination is exactly that....a denomination.

It also doesn't take much of a religious background to see that calling the Pope "anti-Christian" or the "anti-Christ" as some other 'Christians' call him, is ignorant at best. You don't have to believe in his position or the church teachings, but I seriously doubt you are a better Christian model than that man is.

You should also take some time to research how much time and effort he puts in to the unification of Christians no matter their denomination...and maybe try to follow in that example?

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

weekender

The Pope is the leader of the Roman Catholic Church. They invented Christianity.

yes, so was Jesus. your missing my point. The Roman Catholic Church was the first Christian church. they invented the whole idea of calling yourself a Christian Church.

"Acts 11:26
and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch"

You probably ought to read the Bible before you make such claims.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

seedy

"Acts 11:26
and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch"

You probably ought to read the Bible before you make such claims.

The Roman Catholic Church was the first Christian Church. I never said it was the first time the word Christian was used in a church. but that timeline of Christianity is not really the purpose of my post. my point is pretty clear and its about how born again Christians not accepting Catholics as Christians and how i find that silly. since they are the original Christian Church.

I'm not going to get in an argument about the facts of a fictional book. so save your quotes.
John Frusciante

weekender

Umm . . . No.

The apostolic church was the first "Christian Church". They were the church of Christ when Christ was still alive.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

Umm . . . No.

The apostolic church was the first "Christian Church". They were the church of Christ when Christ was still alive.

Not according to the Roman Catholic Church and they would know since they are the One True Church, duh.

I'm not religious and I'm not going to argue the facts of a fiction book. Even if they are not actually the first Christian Church, which they are or arent depending on how you interpret your version of the your churches bible, my point still stands.

My point was, as ive stated many times, that i find it funny that American born again Christians dont believe Catholics are Christian. its funny because they came first. (apparently not FIRST FIRST but before the born agains, for sure).
John Frusciante

weekender

Umm . . . No.

Not according to the Roman Catholic Church and they would know since they are the One True Church, duh.

I'm not religious and I'm not going to argue the facts of a fiction book. Even if they are not actually the first Christian Church, which they are or arent depending on how you interpret your version of the your churches bible, my point still stands.

My point was, as ive stated many times, that i find it funny that American born again Christians dont believe Catholics are Christian. its funny because they came first. (apparently not FIRST FIRST but before the born agains, for sure).

And according to BHO, ACA is good for the country.

Just because they say it, doesn't make it true.:)
Born again Christians were actually Jewish Converts . . . so, again . . . no.:D:ph34r:

turtlespeed

Umm . . . No.

And according to BHO, ACA is good for the country.

Just because they say it, doesn't make it true.:)
Born again Christians were actually Jewish Converts . . . so, again . . . no.:D:ph34r:

which born agains? that is a broad term for a type of Protestant Christian. for example Jehovah Witnesses are consider born again. There are a ton of them and they were not Jewish. You've lost me.

you should try to see my broader point and not play gotcha with religion. its hard to prove facts when it comes to faith.
John Frusciante

We get your point.

I'm going to throw you a bone here. The hint to the fallacy of the claim the the Roman Catholics were the first church lies in the name of the church itself. The Roman Catholic church resulted from the division of Chalcedonian Christianity into 2 parts, now called the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church. You can't take a thing, split it into 2 pieces, and then call one of the results the "first'.

There ya go, I used some math and some history to explain instead of the bible. ;)
Owned by Remi #?

Heavens to betsy -- I don't think any of the current religious organizations are particularly close to what the first followers of Christ imagined.

The Catholics do trace their history to Peter; of course, Peter didn't exactly outline the Catholic church, and, if you'll recall, the Eastern Orthodox also consider themselves to be the original followers who stayed with the true stuff after the great schism.

It's easy to say that one is a descendant of (for example) one's great-great-great-great-grandfather. But just as the father of a newly-created duke isn't a duke (even though the first son will be), the church that didn't call itself Catholic, Baptist, Primitive, or Presumptuous Assumption of the Blinding Light isn't a continuous entity with the one that emerged from a schism.

At least that's my viewpoint. But what does it matter? Beliefs are what they are -- they should stand on their own, and not against others.

Wendy P.

labrys

We get your point.

I'm going to throw you a bone here. The hint to the fallacy of the claim the the Roman Catholics were the first church lies in the name of the church itself. The Roman Catholic church resulted from the division of Chalcedonian Christianity into 2 parts, now called the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church. You can't take a thing, split it into 2 pieces, and then call one of the results the "first'.

There ya go, I used some math and some history to explain instead of the bible. ;)

Uh, i disagree. The Catholic Church can take one thing and split it into THREE. All equal. nomine Patris, et Filii, Et Spiritus Sancti!!! Yea, you have been owned.

all kidding aside, I'm not a church historian and already conceded the RC Church might not have been the first first. They did come before the born again movement, that doesnt recognize them as Christians. Which is accurate to my broader point.

Thank you for pointing out the historical timeline. Thats not sarcasm.
John Frusciante