skinnay

Pussy Riot member "missing" in Russian prison system

skinnay

And yet . . . do not be surprised if this is our future as well.

ETA: I want everyone to understand I don't believe that if anything like that ever came to pass in the US it would probably not be the direct result of any current figure in particular, but simply that the snowball of events of the last 12 or so years has made it possible. In particular the Patriot Act which opened up an entire can of worms and created a bureaucracy which is now so institutionalized it's nearly a miracle it hasn't already happened.

This country is ripe for abuse. If it happens, it has the potential to make McCarthy look like a Girl Scout.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

And yet . . . do not be surprised if this is our future as well.

ETA: I want everyone to understand I don't believe that if anything like that ever came to pass in the US it would probably not be the direct result of any current figure in particular, but simply that the snowball of events of the last 12 or so years has made it possible. In particular the Patriot Act which opened up an entire can of worms and created a bureaucracy which is now so institutionalized it's nearly a miracle it hasn't already happened.

This country is ripe for abuse. If it happens, it has the potential to make McCarthy look like a Girl Scout.

They are doing far worse than McCarthy. Rendition, spying on citizens, firing whistleblowers etc.

regulator

I would like to for you explain why mother russia has so many citizens with dashcams. Is it manditory to have a dashcam in the USSR?

Actually, that's 100% user generated. They see it as a form on self-insurance to record traffic accidents and be able to assign blame. They just happen to catch a lot of weirdness because, well, it's a weird world.
quade -

regulator

I would like to for you explain why mother russia has so many citizens with dashcams. Is it manditory to have a dashcam in the USSR?

Its because every pedestrian in Russia is a potential scammer. Russian insurance scam dashcam compilation.

Or maybe I'm completely mistaken and running in front of moving cars is some weird national sport in Russia.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

skinnay

That is like me saying the USA is a country of scum bags all because the US government are scum bags. Of course since I actually lived in the USA and have actually worked with Russians, I know the average American and average Russian is a good person. Judging a nation based on how their respective governments behave is obtuse and shows a lack of understanding of how the world works.

Now these other videos showing Russian pedestrians jumping in front of moving vehicles is insane. I don't care how much insurance money someone thinks they can make, the risk is simply not worth the possible reward.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The same thing is starting to happen here.
I have cameras set up watching the back of my trailer, both sides the entire length and my front.
You'd have to be crazy anymore to be an owner operator out here and not cover your ass. There are lawyers that chase truck accidents and destroy the truck driver.
In a big truck you can be rear ended and lose.
I save 4 wheelers from suicide by truck regularly. I've seen it all. I've been running cameras for 2 years now and have loads of great footage that would blow anyone's mind.

[Reply]This country is ripe for abuse. If it happens, it has the potential to make McCarthy look like a Girl Scout.

Had to choose McCarthy, eh? Why?

Oh, yeah. Because J. Edgar Hoover liked to make himself look like a girl scout.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Because McCarthy is, for me, a sort of watershed moment. It wasn't just government against the people, but also people against themselves. Ironically reminiscent of the a period in German were it was acceptable to turn against your co-workers, friends and neighbors and completely ruin their lives simply because they had different beliefs.

Oddly, some people were held up as heroes for doing this while others were reviled. That always struck me as odd, but it was generally the rich and powerful who ratted who came out smelling like a rose, while those less powerful and more easily intimidated were shunned.

I think that stinks.
quade -

quade

Because McCarthy is, for me, a sort of watershed moment. It wasn't just government against the people, but also people against themselves. Ironically reminiscent of the a period in German were it was acceptable to turn against your co-workers, friends and neighbors and completely ruin their lives simply because they had different beliefs.

Oddly, some people were held up as heroes for doing this while others were reviled. That always struck me as odd, but it was generally the rich and powerful who ratted who came out smelling like a rose, while those less powerful and more easily intimidated were shunned.

I think that stinks.

So McCarthy has his own Godwin's Law.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

In accordance with the Russian legislation on the location of the convicted relatives reported within 10 days from the arrival to the place of punishment.
Time may be up to 2 months.
Russia is a big country, but the criminals in biznes class do not carry.

regulator

I would like to for you explain why mother ruabout ssia has so many citizens with dashcams. Is it manditory to have a dashcam in the USSR?

No but it is believed important to have some level of education about the wider world (check out the USSR) and to be able to spell, for example. But I digress. The main reason for the cams according to people who I know that have them is lots of drivers have insurance only to cover damage to the other vehicle in an accident. .. so it is important to be able to prove fault.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example