regulator

Obama's approval rating is the lowest of his tenure

President Barack Obama’s approval rating has declined to an all-time low as public frustration with Washington and pessimism about the nation’s direction continue to grow, according to a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

Just 42 percent approve of the president’s job performance, which is down five points from earlier this month. By comparison, 51 percent disapprove of his job in office -- tied for his all-time high.

The NBC/WSJ pollsters argue that no single reason explains Obama’s lower poll standing. Rather, they attribute it to the accumulation of setbacks since the summer -- allegations of spying by the National Security Agency, the debate over Syria’s chemical weapons, the government shutdown and now intense scrutiny over the problems associated with the health care law’s federal website and its overall implementation.

Those events have combined to erase some of the advantage the president gained with polls showing most Americans blame congressional Republicans for the shutdown.

And for the first time in the survey, even Obama’s personal ratings are upside-down, with 41 percent viewing him a favorable light and 45 percent viewing him negatively.

“Personally and politically, the public’s assessment is two thumbs down,” says Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, who conducted this survey with Republican pollster Bill McInturff.

But that two-thumbs-down assessment also applies to almost every other politician measured in the poll.

Consider:
The public’s view of the Republican Party has reached another all-time low in the survey, with 22 percent seeing the GOP in a positive light and 53 percent viewing it negatively;

House Speaker John Boehner, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell remain unpopular;

Sixty-three percent of voters want to replace their own member of Congress, which is the highest percentage ever recorded on this question that dates back to 1992;

Seventy-four percent believe Congress is contributing to problems in Washington rather than solving them;
Only 22 percent think the nation is headed in the right direction;

And half of respondents (50 percent) think it’s likely that there will be another government shutdown.

GOP pollster McInturff says that if the previous NBC/WSJ poll -- conducted during the shutdown -- sent shock waves hitting the Republican Party, this new poll is sending shock waves hitting everyone else.

“It feels like we’re in a Howard Beale moment,” adds Hart, referring to an often-quoted line from the 1976 movie “Network.”

“We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore,” Hart paraphrases from that movie.

And the American public is particularly mad -- at everyone -- after the government shutdown.

By a 41 percent-to-21 percent margin, respondents say they have a less favorable impression of President Obama after the shutdown rather than a more favorable one.

Ditto congressional Tea Party Republicans (45 percent to 12 percent) and congressional Republicans (53 percent to 9 percent).

Still, more Americans blame congressional Republicans for the shutdown (38 percent) than Obama (23 percent), while 36 percent say they blame both sides equally.

But the poll also shows that the political gains that Democrats made during the shutdown have eroded somewhat.

Democrats have a four-point advantage among voters, 45 percent to 41 percent, on which party should control Congress after next year’s midterm elections. Yet that’s down from the eight-point edge, 47 percent to 39 percent, they held in the last NBC/WSJ poll.

And measuring the health care rollout
In addition, the health care law is slightly less popular than it was earlier this month, according to the poll.

Thirty-seven percent see it as a good idea, versus 47 percent who see it as a bad idea. That’s down from the 38 percent good idea, 43 percent bad idea in the previous survey.

But the public is divided over whether the problems associated with the health-care law’s federal website are a short-term issue than can be solved, or a long-term issue that signals deeper troubles.

In the poll, 37 percent say that the website woes are a short-term technical problem that can be fixed, while 31 percent believe they point to a longer-term issue with the law’s design that can’t be corrected.

Another 30 percent think it’s too soon to say.

In a separate question, 40 percent say they are less confident about the health-care law from what they recently have seen, heard or read about it; 9 percent are more confident; and 50 percent say there has been no change.

As Hart puts it, “The sign-up problems have hurt the president personally rather than hurt the law.”

The NBC/WSJ poll was conducted Oct. 25-28 of 800 adults (including 240 cell phone-only respondents), and it has an overall margin of error of plus-minus 3.5 percentage points.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/30/21252250-nbcwsj-poll-obama-approval-sinks-to-new-low?lite

We can't get too warm and fuzzy over the bad press CBS and even NBC are giving BHO. It's more of a warning to him to get his house in order. They're still behind him.

It would take 60 minutes talking about impeachment to change my mind.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I really don't consider his approval rating nearly as low as it probably should be.

I don't think Bill wants back. I'm not sure he wanted to be President to begin with. I think Hillary rode his ass in. He was just there for the boobies.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

regulator

***if he has tenure, he can serve for life.

bwahahahahaaa!

------------------------------------------
your misdirection has no effect on the fact that obama's presidency is the worst in american history.

You didn't do even a minute of research into the rankings before you made that up, did you?

davjohns

I really don't consider his approval rating nearly as low as it probably should be.

I don't think Bill wants back. I'm not sure he wanted to be President to begin with. I think Hillary rode his ass in. He was just there for the boobies.

These kind of people never change. As governor of Arkansas, he was leaving a trail of affairs and alleged rapes, and Hillary made sure that any woman who came forward, was subjected to character assassination. She stood by her draft dodging man, and it got her as far as Benghazi.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

kallend

How does it compare with the House GOP's approval rating?

Again, comparing the President to the House GOP. When the primary defenses of the President are: (1) he's only doing what Bush did: and (2) the House Republicans look a bit worse, it is indicative of a big, big, big problem.

On another note:

In 2009, the President said:
“If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period...If you like your health care plan, you’ll be able to keep your health care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what.” 

Will this be his "Read my lips - no new taxes" moment?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

regulator

***if he has tenure, he can serve for life.

bwahahahahaaa!

your misdirection has no effect on the fact that obama's presidency is the worst in american history.

How is being a corporate sock puppet worse then starting an illegal war based on lies that cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of civilians?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

kallend

How does it compare with the House GOP's approval rating?

If only you would have asked the same when Bush's were low and you and yours were creaming your undies
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Arvoitus

******if he has tenure, he can serve for life.

bwahahahahaaa!

How is being a corporate sock puppet worse then starting an illegal war based on lies that cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of civilians?

Could you please provide evidence that it was illegal?:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********if he has tenure, he can serve for life.

bwahahahahaaa!

I should've been more specific since as far as I know it wasn't illegal in the sense that it broke some US law but it was illegal on international level. Now I know most Americans don't give two shits about international laws but still the rest of the world, barring few exceptions, do care so, illegal in the international sense.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

turtlespeed

*********if he has tenure, he can serve for life.

bwahahahahaaa!

The incredible stupididty and complete lack of competence by the US intelligence communite should be illegal. :D

Quite frankly, starting an unnecessary war, sending your own young men and women over to kill other countries' men and women, is almost worse than an illegal one.

And while there was data that supported the war, there's also data supporting ice cream being the cause of inner-city violence :|

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Quite frankly, starting an unnecessary war, sending your own young men and women over to kill other countries' men and women, is almost worse than an illegal one.

And while there was data that supported the war, there's also data supporting ice cream being the cause of inner-city violence :|

Wendy P.

I just wanted to qualify it that it was a legal war. The House and the Senate both voted on it. Just like they did with Obamacare, right?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

rickjump1

We can't get too warm and fuzzy over the bad press CBS and even NBC are giving BHO. It's more of a warning to him to get his house in order. They're still behind him.

It would take 60 minutes talking about impeachment to change my mind.

Jebus! You guys rant and rave that the media NEVER gives Obama bad press, they're his little lap dogs, etc, etc. And then when they do give him bad press, you say it's some grand plan to just further support him and tell him to get his house in order.

You guys crack me up!
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

SkyDekker

************if he has tenure, he can serve for life.

bwahahahahaaa!

The incredible stupididty and complete lack of competence by the US intelligence communite should be illegal. :D

Just US ?

Take off your blinders sir
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln