normiss

Lesbian teacher fired after same sex marriage?

Where's the State involved? It's a private school run by a church.

Wouldn't the "wall between church and state" be breached if, for example, the state made the Church hire her back?

I'm disgusted by what the Church did. It does not agree with my personal philosophy. However, it's a Church with a well-known and historical problem with Onanists.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

What he said. If the school knew of her sexuality all along and did nothing, then I can see her being lulled into complacency. But it's a private, church-related school. They also have the right to fire a teacher who converts to Judaism and begins covering her hair, or wearing a prayer shawl.

But consider that they're firing someone qualified, for someone potentially less qualified, too.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

She claims they accepted her this way while she was there, just seems the legal marriage was too much for them.

While I stated I took liberty with the state/religion aspect, it is fully legal to do what she did.

Judge not and all their bullshit.

billvon

>However, it's a Church with a well-known and historical problem with Onanists.

Perhaps. Would the same hold if she was black, and was fired because of that?

I didn't realize lesbianism was a race.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

billvon

>I didn't realize lesbianism was a race.

It's not. Neither is being Jewish.

I suppose you would say that indian isn't either.

What is your point?

If your work said you could not work there if you wore a mustache, and you grew one . . . guess what?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

billvon

>What is your point?

You wouldn't understand.

I didn't think you actually had one.:)
It's ok.

We forgive you.

lawrocket

Where's the State involved? It's a private school run by a church.

Wouldn't the "wall between church and state" be breached if, for example, the state made the Church hire her back?

Walmart is also a private entity. Would it be legal if they fired an employee for a same sex marriage?

Andrewwhyte

***Where's the State involved? It's a private school run by a church.

Walmart is also a private entity. Would it be legal if they fired an employee for a same sex marriage?

Wouldn't that depend on the state?

Andrewwhyte

***Where's the State involved? It's a private school run by a church.

We're talking about church and state.

lawrocket

******Where's the State involved? It's a private school run by a church.

We're talking about church and state.

Depends on the state but a church-run school might or might not be exempt from certain aspects of non-discrimination clauses in state law. The church would argue that the school (and teaching function) was an essential ministry function and the plaintiff would argue that it was not.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

billvon

>However, it's a Church with a well-known and historical problem with Onanists.

Perhaps. Would the same hold if she was black, and was fired because of that?

No. Seems that being black is somewhat immutable.

Seems they also didn't have a problem with her until she got married. It just made a difference, didn't it?

Again, I don't agree at all with the Church on this. But when discussing separation of church and state, I do think that it means that the state doesn't yield to the church and tthe church doesn't face socio-political compulsion by the state. It's a two way street.

normiss

Yet if this had been based on race or religious views, it would be unconstitutional.
What's the difference?

Race, probably. But there's a specific exception carved out of federal employment discrimination laws that allow religious organizations to discriminate in employment for religious or ideological reasons.

normiss

Like I need another reason to dislike religion.
It's just so damning.
:P

Damnit!

I do see their point though.

Maybe we should ask the Pope.

>Seems that being black is somewhat immutable.

So is being gay.

>Seems they also didn't have a problem with her until she got married. It just made a
>difference, didn't it?

From the article it was well known she was gay. So agreed, it was the marriage that made the difference.

To go back to my example, they might not fire a black teacher unless he joined (say) the NAACP.

billvon

>Seems that being black is somewhat immutable.

So is being gay.

>Seems they also didn't have a problem with her until she got married. It just made a
>difference, didn't it?

From the article it was well known she was gay. So agreed, it was the marriage that made the difference.

To go back to my example, they might not fire a black teacher unless he joined (say) the NAACP.

So marriage is a club membership.

normiss

Yet if this had been based on race or religious views, it would be unconstitutional.
What's the difference?

Race? Yes.

Religious views? Perhaps. Where's the line? I myself am out of consideration for being a monsignor on the basis of my religious beliefs. As, too, am I'm screwed if I want to be a rabbi. Because I don't meet the qualifications.