rushmc

ACA

rushmc

******Ok, we all know what we were told the ACA would do
And we all know it is still early in the roll out process

But, I have one question
Please tell me one selling point of the ACA that has, or still has a chance of being true

Thanks

I have the same Dr and a cheaper plan.

But you are among the most privileged and own a plane

Yes, plane ownership is one of the secret provisions written into the ACA. How did you learn of it, only we privileged folks are supposed to have been told.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bignugget

*********Ok, we all know what we were told the ACA would do
And we all know it is still early in the roll out process

But, I have one question
Please tell me one selling point of the ACA that has, or still has a chance of being true

Thanks

I have the same Dr and a cheaper plan.

But you are among the most privileged and own a plane
That is what the left elite do, they take care of themselves first
And you are among the execptions

there are a couple of states where the rates are going down. But those states had regulations that drove prices up over the country averages
Ironic huh......

What is your coverage and premium changing to RUSH?

My coverage didn't change, my doctors didn't change, my policy didn't change.

My premium rose, but no more than it has been rising each year since 2007 when I purchased the policy.

I am with BCBS, have a $1,000 in network deductible, $0 copay on doctor/ER visits, drug copay is $30-$75 depending on brand etc.

Cost is now ~$260/month for myself. Cost in 2007 was ~$150/month.

I am single, 29 years old, white male, non-smoker. Though I don't believe I indicated any of that when I originally bought the policy in 2007.

What about you?

Tyipical liberal
Only see what is in your own small world
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Yes, sometimes it is nice to step back from the macro, and get into the details on a personal level.

That is why I detailed my experience with the ACA so far, and how it has/hasn't affected me.

It is too bad you can't engage in simple dialogue.

If you could simply articulate your coverage and premiums, and how those are changing, we could stop and clearly compare on a micro level what is happening. Then we could step back and try to apply that to the macro side.

Give it a try.

kelpdiver

But, I have one question

Emergency rooms will have far fewer insured causing red ink, and maybe we'll see fewer of these being closed down across the country.

Just one problem with this
Deductables are going through the roof
Hospitals (who supported the ACA at the begining) are now predicting the hight initial out of pocket will cause MORE hospitals going under
Abraham Lincoln

Bignugget

Yes, sometimes it is nice to step back from the macro, and get into the details on a personal level.

That is why I detailed my experience with the ACA so far, and how it has/hasn't affected me.

It is too bad you can't engage in simple dialogue.

If you could simply articulate your coverage and premiums, and how those are changing, we could stop and clearly compare on a micro level what is happening. Then we could step back and try to apply that to the macro side.

Give it a try.

the company i work for self insures

The impacts I will see are coming in 2015

but my costs and deductables will rise some next year
I just do not know how much yet
Abraham Lincoln

kelpdiver

But, I have one question

Emergency rooms will have far fewer insured causing red ink, and maybe we'll see fewer of these being closed down across the country.

You don't really believe that do you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Gotcha.

So mine isn't changing at all.

You work for someone who makes the decisions on what to offer their employees, and as such you won't know anything for awhile.

So between the two of us, absolutely nothing has changed as far as our healthcare coverage goes (that wasn't already changing, normal premium increases etc) , from before Obama was elected in 2008, until now.

So you can see why I don't get as up in arms about it as you.

Seems like a big fuss about nothing.

Didn't cost you or me anything. Who cares if some rich liberals with airplanes have to pay a bit more?

Bignugget

Gotcha.

So mine isn't changing at all.

You work for someone who makes the decisions on what to offer their employees, and as such you won't know anything for awhile.

So between the two of us, absolutely nothing has changed as far as our healthcare coverage goes (that wasn't already changing, normal premium increases etc) , from before Obama was elected in 2008, until now.

So you can see why I don't get as up in arms about it as you.

Seems like a big fuss about nothing.

Didn't cost you or me anything. Who cares if some rich liberals with airplanes have to pay a bit more?

I guess I care about other people and this country and not just myself
Abraham Lincoln

Bignugget

I do - just because you have money doesn't mean I am entitled to it.

It is fairness to NOT steal from someone.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Over 30 million will remain uninsured
This plan will colapse on its own

The plan has youner people paying higher premiums than the older
It is a ponzi game that will never get going

I'm starting to get the feeling that you weren't really looking for an answer to your question...

- Dan G

DanG

Over 30 million will remain uninsured

The plan has youner people paying higher premiums than the older

I'm starting to get the feeling that you weren't really looking for an answer to your question...

Ah, you should get the feeling that I had a good idea what the answer(s) were/ was/is/are when I started the post
Abraham Lincoln

I worked for self-insuring companies the vast majority of my career. The last 15 years, costs always went up, and most of the time coverage went down. And healthcare remained one of their fastest-growing costs. When I went to work for USA, they had industry-leading healthcare plan. By the time I retired, it was trying to keep in the middle, and it was still more expensive with lower coverage in some things than when I started.

All this without the ACA.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ah, you should get the feeling that I had a good idea what the answer(s) were/ was/is/are when I started the post

Then why make the post? DrewEckhart gave you some good, detailed answers. Instead of responding to him in a meaningful way, you chose to throw out some meaningless one liners. Why bother?

- Dan G

wmw999

I worked for self-insuring companies the vast majority of my career. The last 15 years, costs always went up, and most of the time coverage went down. And healthcare remained one of their fastest-growing costs. When I went to work for USA, they had industry-leading healthcare plan. By the time I retired, it was trying to keep in the middle, and it was still more expensive with lower coverage in some things than when I started.

Wendy P.

Yes, I know the trend
And Obamacare is acelerating this trend
And in many cases a portion of the rising costs could easily be attributed to goverment regulation

Now we have this regulations issue on steriods
Abraham Lincoln

Rstanley0312

***People can't be denied insurance coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

Children can stay on their parents insurance until they are 26.

This is easy :)

FYI that was already going to be happening. The insurnace compnaies were moving to it and you do not need the ACA to pass those two simple requirements. Keep those and scrap the rest.

It was a valid answer to the question!
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

wmw999

Wendy P.

Did your cost ever double its premium in one move, while quadrupling your total out of pocket, and increasing your deductible by almost double?

All at once?

But hey - at least its affordable for about 1% of the country while making it unreachable by the rest of the self payers.:|

Not for me, but for others, who changed companies, yes. Sometimes they lost their healthcare, as well. When a friend went on COBRA, it went WAY up. But he needed the COBRA worse.

Of course, then there was the friend who was unable to buy coverage for his wife at any price (and he could afford it). No pre-existing conditions, either.

But the majority of these are not a large number of people. When you're talking about millions of potential instances, there are going to be some that aren't good. There are also going to be some that are really, really good. Both are outliers, no matter how much you want to believe whichever one satisfies your preconceptions (on any topic).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

DrewEckhardt

You mean like the US military with more substantial spending for less benefit?

You mean like Social Security?

Government spending programs grow like cancer, especially when there are profits to be made.

I agree, and when they are direct-to-individual programs like social security, college subsidies, public pensions, and ACA subsidies they become inoperable. Military spending can at least be reeled in after a period of spending too much, the 90s are proof of that.

I agree, and when they are direct-to-individual programs like social security, college subsidies, public pensions, and ACA subsidies they become inoperable. Military spending can at least be reeled in after a period of spending too much, the 90s are proof of that.

That sounds reasonable; I need to think on that, so that when I advise the President (:P:D) I'll have a well-formulated plan

Wendy P.

wmw999

Not for me, but for others, who changed companies, yes. Sometimes they lost their healthcare, as well. When a friend went on COBRA, it went WAY up. But he needed the COBRA worse.

Of course, then there was the friend who was unable to buy coverage for his wife at any price (and he could afford it). No pre-existing conditions, either.

But the majority of these are not a large number of people. When you're talking about millions of potential instances, there are going to be some that aren't good. There are also going to be some that are really, really good. Both are outliers, no matter how much you want to believe whichever one satisfies your preconceptions (on any topic).

Wendy P.

I posted this before - because of Obamacare my coverage premium doubles, deductible goes way up and my total out of pocket triples.

They were nice enough to delay the increase until 15, but I'm screwed after that. Because of previously signed contracts and obligations and retirement savings, I'll have to choose bankruptcy or stop eating.

OR - someone else can pay my way.

The increase is unfair at best and criminal at the middle.

Why do I have to extend my retirement date because of someone else?

My company transitioned to a "high deductible" health plan. It essentially covers catastrophic events, and not much else. I get one free physical a year. Otherwise, it pays jack shit until I've coughed up $5,000 of my own. Premiums went up, too.

Unfortunately, they did it before the ACA, so you can't blame it on Obama.

- Dan G

DanG

My company transitioned to a "high deductible" health plan. It essentially covers catastrophic events, and not much else. I get one free physical a year. Otherwise, it pays jack shit until I've coughed up $5,000 of my own. Premiums went up, too.

Unfortunately, they did it before the ACA, so you can't blame it on Obama.

That sux.

I hate that for you.

But at least you still get to pay more for less now.[:/]