rushmc

ACA

Actually, my husband and I have the same kind of plan; it's one of several that his company offers, and it's the one we chose. Our health is good, so we just pay for anything curative that we need (like glasses or contacts), and know that if something major happens we're protected from over-and-above expenses.

30 years ago my insurance (with a major company) only covered 80% of expenses. Lucky for me, my husband worked for the same major company so coordination of benefits took care of us, but if I had worked for a company with no insurance, we'd've been on the hook for 20% of everything. That can also be a whole lot of money. And checkups weren't covered then, either.

It changes, regardless. ACA is driving some change now (quite a bit). Not all of it's good, some of it is.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Actually, my husband and I have the same kind of plan; it's one of several that his company offers, and it's the one we chose. Our health is good, so we just pay for anything curative that we need (like glasses or contacts), and know that if something major happens we're protected from over-and-above expenses.

30 years ago my insurance (with a major company) only covered 80% of expenses. Lucky for me, my husband worked for the same major company so coordination of benefits took care of us, but if I had worked for a company with no insurance, we'd've been on the hook for 20% of everything. That can also be a whole lot of money. And checkups weren't covered then, either.

It changes, regardless. ACA is driving some change now (quite a bit). Not all of it's good, some of it is.

Wendy P.

The problem is the bad, FAR FAR FAR, outweighs the good.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***Not for me, but for others, who changed companies, yes. Sometimes they lost their healthcare, as well. When a friend went on COBRA, it went WAY up. But he needed the COBRA worse.

Of course, then there was the friend who was unable to buy coverage for his wife at any price (and he could afford it). No pre-existing conditions, either.

But the majority of these are not a large number of people. When you're talking about millions of potential instances, there are going to be some that aren't good. There are also going to be some that are really, really good. Both are outliers, no matter how much you want to believe whichever one satisfies your preconceptions (on any topic).

Wendy P.

I posted this before - because of Obamacare my coverage premium doubles, deductible goes way up and my total out of pocket triples.

They were nice enough to delay the increase until 15, but I'm screwed after that. Because of previously signed contracts and obligations and retirement savings, I'll have to choose bankruptcy or stop eating.

OR - someone else can pay my way.

The increase is unfair at best and criminal at the middle.

Why do I have to extend my retirement date because of someone else?

I don't understand the OR in your story.

Who is going to pay your way and in what sense?

Maybe you mentioned it before, but why is it that your policy is being changed?

DanG

My company transitioned to a "high deductible" health plan. It essentially covers catastrophic events, and not much else. I get one free physical a year. Otherwise, it pays jack shit until I've coughed up $5,000 of my own. Premiums went up, too.

Unfortunately, they did it before the ACA, so you can't blame it on Obama.

Yep... We went to a High Deductible plan too.

3 years ago.

And with the HSA attached to it, considering my employer pays 100% of our employee+1 premiums, and chips in a few bucks into our HSA account, we actually save a whole bunch of money.

But hey, high deductible sounds bad, right?
Remster

Yep... We went to a High Deductible plan too.

3 years ago.

And with the HSA attached to it, considering my employer pays 100% of our employee+1 premiums, and chips in a few bucks into our HSA account, we actually save a whole bunch of money.

But hey, high deductible sounds bad, right?

My employer does not pay 100%. My payments actually went up for less coverage. Our "Benefits Fair" is tomorrow. Since I have TriCare (retired military) and VA benefits, I'm seriously considering opting out of my employer sponsored healthcare.

- Dan G

My comment wasn't directed directly at you.

Yeah.. Overall, premiums have been going up here too for the last few years. When pricing is driven by a for-profit industry, what do you expect? (as you know, I'm one of those pinko commies ;))

Our employer has been pretty diligent in shooing around for better plans. It's a pain to have to switch every couple years, but it's maintained our coverage pretty well.

Remster

Bignugget

******Not for me, but for others, who changed companies, yes. Sometimes they lost their healthcare, as well. When a friend went on COBRA, it went WAY up. But he needed the COBRA worse.

Of course, then there was the friend who was unable to buy coverage for his wife at any price (and he could afford it). No pre-existing conditions, either.

But the majority of these are not a large number of people. When you're talking about millions of potential instances, there are going to be some that aren't good. There are also going to be some that are really, really good. Both are outliers, no matter how much you want to believe whichever one satisfies your preconceptions (on any topic).

Wendy P.

I posted this before - because of Obamacare my coverage premium doubles, deductible goes way up and my total out of pocket triples.

They were nice enough to delay the increase until 15, but I'm screwed after that. Because of previously signed contracts and obligations and retirement savings, I'll have to choose bankruptcy or stop eating.

Simply put . . . Because of the no pre-existing conditions clause of obamacare.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********Not for me, but for others, who changed companies, yes. Sometimes they lost their healthcare, as well. When a friend went on COBRA, it went WAY up. But he needed the COBRA worse.

Wendy P.

Simply put . . . Because of the no pre-existing conditions clause of obamacare.

Anyone one with insurance from an big employer or union does not understand the effects yet because they are either exempt or pushed back to next year. But the parts that have gone into effect already have greatly increased the cost to the small business and individual. my insurance rates are 3 times what they were in 2008 with less coverage. they are much cheaper than what has been reported on the news coming from the ACA websites. I fear I will not have insurance in 2-3 years if prices increase more. Since when did covering a few million people become more important than the financial well being of tens of million of people? no system is perfect and many people in all systems fall through the cracks, but why do we need to hurt the hard working self sufficient people of this country to still have a broken system?

rushmc

***Yes, sometimes it is nice to step back from the macro, and get into the details on a personal level.

That is why I detailed my experience with the ACA so far, and how it has/hasn't affected me.

It is too bad you can't engage in simple dialogue.

If you could simply articulate your coverage and premiums, and how those are changing, we could stop and clearly compare on a micro level what is happening. Then we could step back and try to apply that to the macro side.

Give it a try.

the company i work for self insures

The impacts I will see are coming in 2015

but my costs and deductables will rise some next year
I just do not know how much yet

So you're just whining, without any ACTUAL data to back up the whine.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bignugget

Gotcha.

So mine isn't changing at all.

You work for someone who makes the decisions on what to offer their employees, and as such you won't know anything for awhile.

So between the two of us, absolutely nothing has changed as far as our healthcare coverage goes (that wasn't already changing, normal premium increases etc) , from before Obama was elected in 2008, until now.

So you can see why I don't get as up in arms about it as you.

Seems like a big fuss about nothing.

Didn't cost you or me anything. Who cares if some rich liberals with airplanes have to pay a bit more?

Ahem; I'm paying LESS.

kallend

***Gotcha.

You work for someone who makes the decisions on what to offer their employees, and as such you won't know anything for awhile.

So between the two of us, absolutely nothing has changed as far as our healthcare coverage goes (that wasn't already changing, normal premium increases etc) , from before Obama was elected in 2008, until now.

Didn't cost you or me anything. Who cares if some rich liberals with airplanes have to pay a bit more?

Ahem; I'm paying LESS.

Well thank god for that check box we hit when we signed up for health insurance years ago

"liberal rich asshole"

so they knew not to screw us over with Obamacare.

Bignugget

******Gotcha.

Ahem; I'm paying LESS.

Well thank god for that check box we hit when we signed up for health insurance years ago

"liberal rich asshole airplane owner."

so they knew not to screw us over with Obamacare.

Can't you follow a thread?