airdvr

The most tech savvy administration...

Gravitymaster

Remember how upset the lefties got over Haliburtons no bid contract?

But But But . . . that was oil - Think of the children.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Gravitymaster

******How many websites like this have you built? My guess is none. Thanks, but I'll go with someone who has built thousands of websites over an arm chair techie.

How many years of premiums would $100 million have bought for the 15% of the population this travesty is supposed to cover.

I don't know about Ian, but I have done the solution architecture for a number of large government IT projects, although none anywhere near as big as this. Your tech guy is full of shit.

I'm sure he would say you are full of shit. But what does he know, he only does it for a living.

I've been a software developer for almost 17 years now. I have had teams working under me when I was doing software architecture, I've worked in biotech, banking, and private aviation in my field(multi million dollar projects), and now i'm the CTO of a start up.

but hey...what do I know? :)

side note: if your guy has built 1000's of websites in his career then it's pretty obvious he's never done anything substantial. Big projects take a long time, and there's no way he'd be getting the server side experience to take on a project like this simply pumping out html websites.
Performance Designs Factory Team

ianmdrennan

*********How many websites like this have you built? My guess is none. Thanks, but I'll go with someone who has built thousands of websites over an arm chair techie.

How many years of premiums would $100 million have bought for the 15% of the population this travesty is supposed to cover.

I don't know about Ian, but I have done the solution architecture for a number of large government IT projects, although none anywhere near as big as this. Your tech guy is full of shit.

I'm sure he would say you are full of shit. But what does he know, he only does it for a living.

I've been a software developer for almost 17 years now. I have had teams working under me when I was doing software architecture, I've worked in biotech, banking, and private aviation in my field(multi million dollar projects), and now i'm the CTO of a start up.

but hey...what do I know? :)

side note: if your guy has built 1000's of websites in his career then it's pretty obvious he's never done anything substantial. Big projects take a long time, and there's no way he'd be getting the server side experience to take on a project like this simply pumping out html websites.

"My Guy" is President of his company. He likely has people like you working for him. I do know he has an impressive resume. That's why we hired him. But please keep deriding those you have never met and know nothing about. It suits you well.

Gravitymaster

"My Guy" is President of his company. He likely has people like you working for him. I do know he has an impressive resume. That's why we hired him. But please keep deriding those you have never met and know nothing about. It suits you well.

We know enough - that he thinks you can create from scratch a service that will be used by 10s of millions of people for a cool million. He probably knows better, but he blew some smoke up your ass. For starters, that budget would only allow for a half dozen guys like Ian. He could hire in the cheap lands, but then the talent pool runs shallow.

Feel free to supply a name/company...

I must chime in as an IT professional. One million dollars is no where near enough to handle even the data integration and testing.
The fact that you won't name your source or his company clearly shows to me you deep down understand he is wrong.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I haven't made any comments one way or another. Maybe he would have it built in India. That's why I hire companies to do that kind of work for me. I also really don't care. As usual, the freaks on this site use this to launch personal attacks on me. I simply repeated what someone else said.

I am another IT person and while I do not know much about the scope of this application, one million is not enough, it's way too low. However I think it is safe to say that 394 million was way too much. With that in mind though, 394 million is still a bargain compared to the 2 billion dollars the Liberals squandered away into their friends pockets when they built Canada's Gun Registry database application. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It seems to be the general consensus that $1 million is too low. I accept that, people are sometimes wrong, except on this site. Everyone is a genius who knows better what to do than anyone else.

I also agree, I have a real hard time believing even $100 million plus everything else which has been reported to be approaching $500 million. Plus, they awarded the contract to a company that didn't exactly have a great track record for building websites with registries.

Gravitymaster

It seems to be the general consensus that $1 million is too low. I accept that, people are sometimes wrong, except on this site. Everyone is a genius who knows better what to do than anyone else.

I also agree, I have a real hard time believing even $100 million plus everything else which has been reported to be approaching $500 million. Plus, they awarded the contract to a company that didn't exactly have a great track record for building websites with registries.

Ummm

Yeah

634M.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Gravitymaster

I haven't made any comments one way or another. Maybe he would have it built in India. That's why I hire companies to do that kind of work for me. I also really don't care. As usual, the freaks on this site use this to launch personal attacks on me. I simply repeated what someone else said.

Ha! Right. You mouthed off in a topic you clearly know nothing about. Then you made the following comment:

How many websites like this have you built? My guess is none. How much should it have cost? My guess is you have no idea. Thanks, but I'll go with someone who has built thousands of websites over an arm chair pseudo-techie.

And got totally owned there, again, because you didn't know what you were talking about. Note that NO-ONE made any personal comments to you, but rather about the "tech guy" you used as the basis for your argument. You, on the other hand, called people freaks; arm chair techies; etc.

Now you're sitting in the corner crying about how people are "attacking you" when, in reality, you got set straight from BOTH sides of the isle making NON-PARTISAN observations based on REAL WORLD experience...which you had none of.

On the topic of the website itself. it's a stunning display of incompetent contractor selection, project management, and testing from the person in the administration responsible for contractor selection all the way down the way the contractor handle the project.

I would say it's fair to assume the rollout wouldn't be without issue, but the level of problem and failure is beyond unacceptable.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Gravitymaster

If you want to argue that too much money was spent, or that it's worse than is acceptable, you don't find any disagreement.

but your $1M claim - yes, everyone agrees your man is blowing smoke.

lawrocket

***It does leave one wondering why this wasn't more robustly beta-tested before roll-out.

What's interesting is that there is a more-than-minor chance that the President and Dems in Congress will soon try to delay implementation of the individual mandate because of this.

Which is exactly what the Republicans wanted just last week.

Since I'm not a climate scientist, my predictions regarding extreme political climate events actually have some degree of accuracy.

[Url]http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/10/25/9-senate-democrats-sign-shaheen-letter-pushing-for-open-enrollment-extension/[/url]

And isn't this the way? The GOP wanted this, and the President and the Dems in Congress went along with a government shut down so that the individual mandate remained.

And now, just a fucking week later, a growing number of Dems want the individual mandate to be delayed.

Fucking politics. The Dems oppose something because the GOP wants it. Now I wonder if the GOP will oppose the Dems. You know, just because.

How's that new era of bipartisanship working, Mr. President?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

QSSI was just named lead on fixing the website. United Healthcare owns QSSI. Just have to wonder how all this crap ends up in the hands of people wanting to line their pockets.

Facts are XML technology and $45,000 IT integration fee would have integrated the databases between DHS, HHS, and Experion. NOT A HALF BILLION DOLLARS.