Stumpy

Tikka T3 vs Rem 700

Just my opinion:
If you want to buy one and shoot it like it comes out of the box, flip a coin or go with whichever costs less. If you might want to make any modifications, the Rem 700 is one of the most often modified/customized rifles in the world and there's a ton of stuff you can get in the way of different stocks, different triggers, different scope mounts, etc.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

What caliber?
Not too important, just curious.

Tika makes an awesome 22, but I doubt you are looking for that.

New or used? Just like jump gear; used, in good condition as determined by a qualified inspection, can produce great value.

Personally, if I was looking for a decent bolt rife, I'd probably choose Savage. Not too expensive, the Accu-trigger is really good, good quality.

IMO, Savage gives the best value out there right now.

Don't forget the scope. A good scope will cost as much as the rifle, if not more (another reason to go used - used scopes don't hold value very well).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

What caliber?

New or used? Just like jump gear; used, in good condition as determined by a qualified inspection, can produce great value.

Personally, if I was looking for a decent bolt rife, I'd probably choose Savage. Not too expensive, the Accu-trigger is really good, good quality.

Don't forget the scope. A good scope will cost as much as the rifle, if not more (another reason to go used - used scopes don't hold value very well).

Lol

Whats your gun Loading?
How many shots do you have?
What is your gun License Number . . .:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

wolfriverjoe

What caliber?

Probably .308, its the regular choice for deer here. New, and interesting you say savage because they seem to come in about half the price of a tikka here - optics had been on my mind as well, as I am almost inclined to go higher end on the optics than the rifle itself for now.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

Probably .308, its the regular choice for deer here. New, and interesting you say savage because they seem to come in about half the price of a tikka here - optics had been on my mind as well, as I am almost inclined to go higher end on the optics than the rifle itself for now.

The 7.62x51/.308 Win is hard to beat as an all-around cartridge. It is effective and commonly available in any number of loadings.

As far as the rifle goes, it is a matter of personal preference in terms of fit, finish and price. You could get picky about action length or magazine capacity or safety position or any number of minor considerations, but the majority of modern bolt action rifles will serve you well and be passed down to later generations.

Either the Tikka or the Remington is a great choice, and Savage has a lot to recommend it. In addition to the Accu Trigger, one feature that Savage has on its competition is the ability to swap barrels with very little fuss. The .308 action will feed the .243 Winchester, .260 Remington, 7mm-08 Remington, .308 Winchester, .338 Federal and .358 Winchester without a hitch; with one action and a selection of barrels it is akin to having the bolt action rifle version of a T/C Encore.

Your point is well made that the optics are a major consideration. People using Zeiss or Swarovski scopes often have much more invested in the glass than in the rifle itself, and Nikon or Leupold optics can double the cost of your setup. Blister pack grade 3x9 scopes I relegate to .22 rifles for familiarization classes (they work fine for that).

The bottom line is that you have a lot of choices, and most of them are rather good. I hope you are happy with whatever you pick, and it serves you well.

Blue skies,

Winsor

wolfriverjoe

What caliber?

Second the Savage as the best value for the money. The accu-trigger models are in demand, but don't overlook the non-accutrigger models. Trigger adjustment on these isn't rocket surgery, and the minimum trigger pull is about as low as you would want to go in a field gun anyway. Note that the savage long action is really long, which can limit scope choices.

Don't get much better than a 700. It's one of the most highly regarded arms ever made. Ruger 77 is a nice rifle as well. I was just looking at a stainless/gray laminate in .300 wm not long ago. Ruger also makes a pretty sweet .308 bolt gun with detachable mag (scout rifle).

Depending on the size of your deer it might be worth looking at a Ruger .270 or any .270 caliber (roughly 6.8mm, .277 is the exact caliber of the 6.8)

Extremely flat shooting round with plenty of terminal velocity for smaller game that won't blow out the shoulder and waste meat.

Unfortunately living where I do, the choice is pretty limited (not just a gun thing - there just isn't the population here to justify importing everything!). I'll keep an eye out for these though - looks like they have some nice features.

melch

Depending on the size of your deer it might be worth looking at a Ruger .270 or any .270 caliber (roughly 6.8mm, .277 is the exact caliber of the 6.8)

Extremely flat shooting round with plenty of terminal velocity for smaller game that won't blow out the shoulder and waste meat.

I get bullseyes with .270 Savage. Very accurate.

OHCHUTE

***Depending on the size of your deer it might be worth looking at a Ruger .270 or any .270 caliber (roughly 6.8mm, .277 is the exact caliber of the 6.8)

I get bullseyes with .270 Savage. Very accurate.I get bullseyes with my Browning A bolt .270 Winchester Short Mag. I had to paint the stainless steel barrel. I'm using a 150 grain bullet for deer and elk.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Its a close call but I'd go T3, Sako quality for a fraction of the cost. Also depends what you want to do with it, if you want to get all Gucci and drop it into a AICS stock then maybe you'd be better off with the 700. But if posing on the line isn't your thing and you'd rather take it on a hunt then I'd go T3. ;)

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

rickjump1

I get bullseyes with my Browning A bolt .270 Winchester Short Mag. I had to paint the stainless steel barrel. I'm using a 150 grain bullet for deer and elk.

You didn't paint it black, did you? As "all inclusive" and "non-racist" as liberals claim to be, they do raise a stink about black guns...

Hopefully you painted it "environmental green"...;)
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I have a Sako 85 in 300 WSM and it is by far my favorite bolt action rifle I have encountered thus far. So I would say the Tikka. They are essentially the same gun, Sakos are just overpriced. The hammer release/trigger pull is my favorite part. Very crisp and the length of pull is very small.
BTW the 300 WSM is a cannon I would stick with a .308.

Happy Hunting!

jgoose71

I get bullseyes with my Browning A bolt .270 Winchester Short Mag. I had to paint the stainless steel barrel. I'm using a 150 grain bullet for deer and elk.

You didn't paint it black, did you? As "all inclusive" and "non-racist" as liberals claim to be, they do raise a stink about black guns...

Hopefully you painted it "environmental green"...;) Actually, I painted it flat black or stove pipe black. Not many liberals in the woods here.

rickjump1

Hopefully you painted it "environmental green"...;) Actually, I painted it flat black or stove pipe black. Not many liberals in the woods here.

Maybe you should move to a more target rich environment then.:o:):P:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Maybe you should move to a more target rich environment then.:o:):P:P Too many floods, fires, and nutty people. I think God is punishing them for bad gun laws.:P

Remington 700 BDL in .30-06, I customized the stock a long time ago and have used it for 25 years.

Leupold 6x Wide scope, allows even my sorry old eyes and ass to shoot a nice group at 150yds. Easy to clean, solid, well built,

Of course I have never seen or shot the Tikka either.

I don't know much about Tikka rifles. I've been a fan of Remington 700's for the past fifty years. Most are very accurate out of the box. If you fine tune one, and find the right ammo, usually it will shoot tiny groups.

It seems like most guys, looking for an accurate reliable rifle, that doesn't break your bank account buy a Savage. Savage rifles are usually quite accurate out of the box.

I have a Remington 700 in 22/250, 270, 30/06 and 300 Win. Magnum. All of them have a 3X9 Leupold scope. All are glass bedded, floated barrels, and light triggers. All will usually group under and inch with the right reload.

I shot a 1/4 inch four shot group recently with my 270. That was a four shot group.

I don't think you can go wrong putting your money into a Remington 700.....

Thanks all, seems like I can't go wrong with Tikka, Rem, or Savage. I'll see what the local shop has and just see what sort of a deal I can get. I'll basically be shooting it out of the box - not really interested in too much customisation.