So I went to sign up for healthcare....

normiss

Nothing.
Shut up and BOHICA.

My daughter is looking at $300 a month.
She's crying now.

Here's my latest effort:

Out of curiosity,

What was she paying before for the same coverage?

I have a grandfathered policy and BCBS said I shouldn't expect any unusual premium increases.

kelpdiver

***Where are all the people having good experiences signing up?

People rarely shout out when things go as expected.

Apparently none of you have ever launched a new web portal before...there's a pretty long history of trouble. Aside from working out bugs of new code, there's an economics problem with scaling the infrastructure to meet day 1 demand, rather than pay for the typical demand and just let you suffer for the first few days. Government entities rarely 'waste' money ensuring that peak load will be well met.

Do they have a budget/cost of over 1,000,000,000,000.00 US Dollars?

You'd think that they could do a little web site work.

If this is what we can expect . . . how do you think they will deal with medical records?

The IRS is amazing aren't they?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Even the US military doesn't have a trillion dollar budget, so let's not pretend that the health exchanges in each state do.

Did you understand the point I made? They aren't going to size their web infrastructure for day 1 load, which is likely 10x (or 100x) the normal load. This would accurately be labelled as mismanagement of federal money.

Corporations can spend for peak demand because they make more money during peak demand. Federal or non profit organizations as a rule do not. They also have greater regulation around security, which likely doesn't lend itself to spending an extra million for AWS compute cycles this week.

In short, the problems today have little to do with any systemic problems with ACA.

kelpdiver

Even the US military doesn't have a trillion dollar budget, so let's not pretend that the health exchanges in each state do.

Did you understand the point I made? They aren't going to size their web infrastructure for day 1 load, which is likely 10x (or 100x) the normal load. This would accurately be labelled as mismanagement of federal money.

Corporations can spend for peak demand because they make more money during peak demand. Federal or non profit organizations as a rule do not. They also have greater regulation around security, which likely doesn't lend itself to spending an extra million for AWS compute cycles this week.

In short, the problems today have little to do with any systemic problems with ACA.

I understood it, but I grew up playing MMORPGs.

normiss

So far as you know at this time anyway.

I speak as someone who has been working with web servers since the original NCSA and CERN ones 20 years ago, who currently has infrastructure hit by millions of customers, doing a billion transactions per day. It's not fucking easy, or it's not cheap. And these are run on a state by state basis.

Today is Black Friday at Amazon's web site....it will be substantially better by next week. These are for policies that don't start until 2014, right? You don't need it done on October 1. You would like it to be settled by Dec 1, well in advance of the actual deadline of Jan 1.

normiss

The government has the capacity in place now.

Who is this "goverment" you speak of?

"The agency that runs the exchange, Covered California, said it received 1 million hits on the website during the first 90 minutes after the exchange opened, and about 800,000 per hour after that."

What he said, and yes I am a computer expert.

kelpdiver

***So far as you know at this time anyway.

I speak as someone who has been working with web servers since the original NCSA and CERN ones 20 years ago, who currently has infrastructure hit by millions of customers, doing a billion transactions per day. It's not fucking easy, or it's not cheap. And these are run on a state by state basis.

Today is Black Friday at Amazon's web site....it will be substantially better by next week. These are for policies that don't start until 2014, right? You don't need it done on October 1. You would like it to be settled by Dec 1, well in advance of the actual deadline of Jan 1.

Iago

So here is a question.

Is there a reason you have to go the 'exchange' website now or can you just go directly to the broker like you did every other year past?

The mandate is "Everyone must have Insurance". Provided that your insurance company is still in buisness because it met the new regulations put in place by the ACA, if you like them, you can keep them.

The health care exchange is supposed to help you find insurance if you don't have it, and help you with subsidies if you qualify (Supposedly).

When people find out that "Cheap Health Care" is only cheap compared to Cobra ($900 for one person in my state) and the subsidies don't amount to a hill of beans, people will eventually start seeing the truth of Obamacare.

The good news is since Obamacare is only expected to get another 12 million people insured, the IRS will have a target rich pool of around 36 million people they can start penalizing for not being insured....

179 days and counting.;)
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I did say cheap compared to Cobra, didn't I?

I guess I should make my sarcasm a little more apparent...:ph34r:

Side note: Now that all plans must cover pre-existing conditions, why were you expecting them to be cheap?

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Found this link posted in your AR-15 Forum ;)

Obamacare contains 20 new or higher taxes on American families and small businesses. Arranged by their respective sizes according to CBO scores, below is the total list of all $500 billion-plus in tax hikes (over the next ten years) in Obamacare, their effective dates, and where to find them in the bill.
http://www.atr.org/full-list-obamacare-tax-hikes-listed-a7010#ixzz1zTXuZUYl

Iago

COBRA was intended for people with a preexisting condition to transfer from one policy/workplace to another and maintain coverage for that condition. If you're not sick or under treatment for a condition when you change employers/policies you don't need COBRA.

Not quite. As many policies have block outs for 6-12 months for preexisting conditions, you need to maintain coverage in between jobs that provide group coverage. As well as for any acute injury or sickness that may occur - the reason you have health insurance in general. In between jobs is when I often played hardest.

The cost is 102% of that paid by the employer. It seems expensive since it's common for the employer to cover 75% of the cost. And if you're under 40, it's probably expensive because you're in the cheaper half of the group.

normiss

Must be part of the shutdown....

**** I still suck at the in-line photo thingy****

57 attempts and still no dice
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My insurance when I left the US was $87/month for basic "low turn" insurance.

According to CoveredCA, if I move back to California it'll cost me $315/mo for the worst insurance, which has 3x the deductible and higher copays :D Get fucked, I'll pay the fine.

cavete terrae.