normiss

Religion as a moral compass???

The attempts at conversion are funny to me.
It's the insults and the condescending attitude that non-believers are beneath them because they are special because they believe in something and therefore we that don't are fucked that bother me.
Self righteous bastards.
:D:D:D

Remster

that their "choice" of religion is completely random.

Actually, it's not random at all. Your religion will most likely be the religion of your parents. Faith is learnt.

I believe that is the point he was making. Much like the country you were born in is random and not something you get to choose.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

champu

***Doesn't a number divided by itself equal 1?

Not as a general rule, no. As I said, zero as a number is more abstract than people usually give it credit for.

0/0 is undefined (meaning it doesn't have a defined value) and futhermore it's indeterminate (meaning, roughly, there's not even a way to figure out what values are near it.)

Btw, I was just trying to be funny but, as can happen with math jokes, accidentally produced an interesting [to whom?] result.

The disconnect is that theists are claiming, "1/1", and atheists are saying, "0/0." but the theists interpret that as, "0/1." 0/1 is an absolute viewpoint that can come off as extreme. But 0/0 is indeterminate. Not believing in something that doesn't exist is indeterminate. Just like you can set up any number of limits that go to 0/0 and approach any value you want, you can come up any number of things that don't exist to not believe in. This doesn't mean atheists specifically, diligently, and actively don't believe in all these things. 0/0 doesn't equal all possible numbers, it equals none of them.

On the other side of the coin, atheists hear, "1/1" and interpret that as, "1/0." You can set up any limit you want that approaches 1/0, but it will always diverge to infinity. So believing in something that doesn't exist is determinate. It diverges to infinity. The flying spaghetti monster (as well as references to the tooth fairy, unicorns, etc.) is an attempt to illustrate the indeterminate nature of the atheists belief of 0/0. But it doesn't really illustrate it very well and ends up just being a mockery of the divergent nature of 1/0, probably why the FSM has convinced exactly zero theists that they're "wrong."

So how do a person who believes 1/1 and a person who believes 0/0 reach a common ground? Simple, tell the guy who keeps going on about math to shut up already.

that was a pretty complicated way of saying

"most people are harmless and believe what they choose to believe without hassling others - the few fanatics on either side just strawman the other guy as some kind of extremist and then leverage the strawman to claim victory"

but I like the math, so it's good

and a 'victory' over stupid subjective stuff is hollow indeed

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

that was a pretty complicated way of saying

"most people are harmless and believe what they choose to believe without hassling others - the few fanatics on either side just strawman the other guy as some kind of extremist and then leverage the strawman to claim victory"

but I like the math, so it's good

and a 'victory' over stupid subjective stuff is hollow indeed

You know who else was an (N-1)/N kinda guy...?

champu

You know who else was an (N-1)/N kinda guy...?

HEY, hey hey... no need to be calling names there, cowboy.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Remster

Actually, it's not random at all. Your religion will most likely be the religion of your parents. Faith is learnt.

I think religion is taught and learned. Faith is a variable based on experience, usually emotional experience referring to spiritual faith.

Sunday night I watched a video of a Lebanese Muslim who was taught the Koran by his mother daily and raised to be a martyr for Allah. He later was given military training and sent to the U.S. to participate in cultural jihad. He was in an automobile accident requiring a prolonged recovery. His care just happened to be administered by Christians. He was overwhelmed by their unconditional love. He sought the truth from Allah and received nothing. Again in prayer he sought the truth from Christ and received his answer. He instantly converted to Christianity.

Spiritual answers are not logical and rational but none the less real.

A side thought, how many Muslims are actively involved in cultural jihad here in America?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

champu

***Doesn't a number divided by itself equal 1?

Not as a general rule, no. As I said, zero as a number is more abstract than people usually give it credit for.

0/0 is undefined (meaning it doesn't have a defined value) and futhermore it's indeterminate (meaning, roughly, there's not even a way to figure out what values are near it.)

Hmm - Infinitive nothingness?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******Doesn't a number divided by itself equal 1?

Hmm - Infinitive nothingness?

Infinitive? What do I look like, an English major?

Thus "random". A random accident of birth and culture. You are more likely to be a Christian if you were born and raised to a Christian family in America's bible belt.

How many Christians have actually studies other religious texts? How many Muslims have studied other religious texts?

You are right it is a completely emotional decision. Which blows my mind even more.

Monotheistic religion will tell you that the fate of your soul hangs in the balance. Get it wrong and you face an eternity of torture (let's not even get started on that!).

That to me would be the most important decision any person could make. Certainly not one you would take with blind faith/an emotional decision.

But how many religious people take the time to go through all of the religions out there and make SUPER CERTAIN that they aren't making the wrong choice by cultural/experiential bias?

Very few.

In the case of that chap who converted to Christianity, I think it's pretty clear to see that had his care been administered by a Buddhist, an atheist, a humanist or any other person he probably wouldn't have converted to Christianity.

RonD1120

I think religion is taught and learned. Faith is a variable based on experience, usually emotional experience referring to spiritual faith.

Sunday night I watched a video of a Lebanese Muslim who was taught the Koran by his mother daily and raised to be a martyr for Allah. He later was given military training and sent to the U.S. to participate in cultural jihad. He was in an automobile accident requiring a prolonged recovery. His care just happened to be administered by Christians. He was overwhelmed by their unconditional love. He sought the truth from Allah and received nothing. Again in prayer he sought the truth from Christ and received his answer. He instantly converted to Christianity.

Spiritual answers are not logical and rational but none the less real.

A side thought, how many Muslims are actively involved in cultural jihad here in America?