Darius11

‘I’m 124 sandwiches away from an engagement ring’-This girl knows whats up

http://nypost.com/2013/09/24/i-wooed-my-man-with-a-sandwich/

Since last June, a young woman has attracted attention from culinary world icons such as Emeril Lagasse, Michael White and Ken Friedman with 300sandwiches.com, a beautifully photographed blog that documents her quest to woo her boyfriend with bread-and-meat creations. We now reveal that the woman behind the blog is our very own Page Six senior reporter, STEPHANIE SMITH. Here, she tells her story — and shares some recipes.

My boyfriend, Eric, is the gourmet cook in our relationship, but he’d always want me to make him a sandwich.

Each morning, he would ask, “Honey, how long you have been awake?”

“About 15 minutes,” I’d reply.

“You’ve been up for 15 minutes and you haven’t made me a sandwich?”

To him, sandwiches are like kisses or hugs. Or sex. “Sandwiches are love,” he says. “Especially when you make them. You can’t get a sandwich with love from the deli.”

One lazy summer afternoon just over a year ago, I finally gave in. I assembled turkey and Swiss on toasted wheat bread. I spread Dijon mustard generously on both bread slices, and I made sure the lettuce was perfectly in line with the neatly stacked turkey slices.

Eric devoured the sandwich as if it were a five-star meal, diving in with large, eager bites. “Babes, this is delicious!” he exclaimed.

As he finished that last bite, he made an unexpected declaration of how much he loved me and that sandwich: “Honey, you’re 300 sandwiches away from an engagement ring!”

I paused.

Was our happily ever after as simple as making him a few sandwiches?

Our relationship has always centered on food. We met at a restaurant in Chelsea two years ago when a friend I was dining with spotted an Alexander Skarsgård look-alike. An introduction was made, and I found out he’s a computer programmer, a Taurus (or as he says, “What’s that sign for people who don’t believe in astrology?”), obsessed with “Star Wars” and a very good cook.

On our second date, he cooked me dinner — tuna tartare and fresh scallops on a tomato compote. More delicious meals, nearly all of them cooked by him, followed, and soon we were dating seriously. The fact that he could make a perfect filet mignon, not just order one in a steakhouse, was a big turn-on.

A year ago, we moved in together to a sleek place in Brooklyn. We’ve met each other’s parents, traveled internationally without strangling each other and successfully hosted many a dinner party.

Things were moving at a natural pace, but I wondered what it would take for him to propose. I’m in my mid-30s, and my parents have been happily married for more than 35 years. I have always valued the commitment and dedication it takes to get married and stay married. Call me old-fashioned, but I’d like to raise a family with someone who feels likewise.

Maybe I needed to show him I could cook to prove that I am wife material. If he wanted 300 sandwiches, I’d give him 300 sandwiches — and I’d blog about it.

I bought the 300sandwiches.com domain name and a Nikon DSLR. I perused tons of recipe sites and cookbooks for sandwich ideas. I asked friends for suggestions, but some, especially my single friends, were less than supportive of the idea.

“How ‘Stepford Wives’ of you!” said one single gal whose kitchen was used for shoe storage.

Another, a hard-working C-suite banking executive, also objected. “It’s not 1950!” she exclaimed. “It’s chauvinistic! He’s saying, ‘Cook for me, woman, and maybe I’ll make you my wife.’”

My own mother was doubtful. “Honey, can you even cook?” she asked.

“No, but I’ll learn!” I argued.

I started with the easy things. My second sandwich after the turkey and Swiss was a two-second ice-cream sandwich constructed from Anna’s ginger thin cookies and blackberry currant ice cream. My early thinking was quantity, not quality.

Ten sandwiches or so in, I did the math. Three sandwiches a week, times four weeks a month, times 12 months a year, meant I wouldn’t be done until I was deep into my 30s. How would I finish 300 sandwiches in time for us to get engaged, married and have babies before I exited my childbearing years?

My mother was the voice of reason. “Relationships are a marathon, not a sprint,” she said. “Take it one sandwich at a time.”

I made sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. I made sandwiches to get myself out of the doghouse — like No. 67, a scrambled egg, smoked salmon and chive creation that combined some of Eric’s favorite things to make up for my being 45 minutes late for dinner the night before.

Even after covering movie premieres or concerts for Page Six, I found myself stumbling into the kitchen to make Eric a sandwich while I still had on my high heels and party dress.

Making all of these sammies, I’ve learned how much Eric loves sharing cooking with me. He enjoys going to the grocery store with me, picking out ingredients and planning dinners. Though I still want to get engaged and get married and live happily ever after, I’ve also put less pressure on the race to the 300th sandwich and I’m enjoying the cooking experience with Eric.

Today, I’ve made and blogged about 176 sandwiches. Over the months, my creations have grown more complex — lobster rolls, bánh mìs, pulled pork. No matter what’s on the menu, Eric smiles and says thank you. He’s just happy I cook for him at all.

You women read all these magazines to get advice on how to keep a man, and it’s so easy,” he says. “We’re not complex. Just do something nice for us. Like make a sandwich.”***

I am sure some feminist will not like this lady but I say she is living in reality and is happy and fulfilled.
If Gender rolls were not so demonized you would have a lot more happy men and woman. :)
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Might not be a feminist who doesn't like it; might be some PETA person who thinks that all that meat is cruel. Plenty of options, and with millions of people in New York, some of them are probably there.

But, ya know -- this feminist thinks that the whole point in the story was how much she's gotten to enjoy doing things with him, and how much he enjoys sharing his activity of cooking with her. Now that sounds like a great foundation.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

But, ya know -- this feminist thinks that the whole point in the story was how much she's gotten to enjoy doing things with him, and how much he enjoys sharing his activity of cooking with her. Now that sounds like a great foundation.

Wendy P.

Right! Whatever works for them! :)

Oh yea i like that as well. I think people who don't contently have a point to prove and have an open mind tend to have happier relationships.

If she stopped and told him to go fuck him self the sec. he asked her to make a sandwich she might have not had a chance at happiness.

I do like the pics on her site made me hungry:)

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Darius11

Oh yea i like that as well. I think people who don't contently have a point to prove and have an open mind tend to have happier relationships.

If she stopped and told him to go fuck him self the sec. he asked her to make a sandwich she might have not had a chance at happiness.

Some girls feel their only chance at happiness is to beg, retrieve, fetch, rollover, and play dead. If they only knew how to make sandwiches.......
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

rickjump1

***Oh yea i like that as well. I think people who don't contently have a point to prove and have an open mind tend to have happier relationships.

Some girls feel their only chance at happiness is to beg, retrieve, fetch, rollover, and play dead. If they only knew how to make sandwiches.......

You may want to "upgrade" from dogs ;)

Bignugget

***"Quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach, or a blow job. Tell her to pick one." ~~skymama

Damn, can't we pick??

I can make my own sandwiches!

Blowing myself just doesn't have the same appeal...

Or even the remote possibility.:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

If Gender rolls were not so demonized

What kind of sandwich is a gender roll?

I think it's just a weiner in a bun.

Carlos Danger Sammich - The PC term.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun