kallend

As a general rule I don't like Popes

Gravitymaster

Had to go back over 7 years ago to find that, did you? But of course, that's not even the issue. You were claiming you hit a nerve. That's hysterical. Try and keep up.

Ah so hypocrisy is OK when you do it - gotcha.
(You have to admit - you set yourself up nicely there.)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Yes, you are and yes it is.

I love how you're so insecure you can't admit to making any mistake, ever - no matter how ultimately insignificant it is or how obvious. It's one of your most endearing characteristics.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Stumpy

***Had to go back over 7 years ago to find that, did you? But of course, that's not even the issue. You were claiming you hit a nerve. That's hysterical. Try and keep up.

Ah so hypocrisy is OK when you do it - gotcha.
(You have to admit - you set yourself up nicely there.)

Non-sequitur. Try to stay on topic.

***VATICAN CITY — Few eyebrows were raised last week when Pope Francis brought the Vatican’s legal system up to date by criminalizing leaks of official information and formalizing laws against sex crimes. But now that the laws have been made public, a closer look revealed that the pope has made it illegal to report sex crimes against children.***

I do not agree
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

shropshire

Bet he has an 'accident'! That's a big powerful Organisation that he's crossing.

Otto: "So the old Pope's gonna m-m-m-meet with an accident eh K-K-K-K-Ken?
:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi John,
Francis??? I don't remember anyone named Francis doing the "Pope" Ritual at the old Rumbleseat??? Did he even make "Cardinal" and/or "Supreme Cardinal??" I know he didn't make "Ironclad Cardinal," only a handful of brave souls did!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Southern_Man

I admit to not paying much attention to the Pope for good or bad.

What has he done to garner some kudos in this thread?

Essentially, he's said it's more important to be nice to people than to put blind dogma above all else on issues such as contraception, gays etc.

But obviously, considering the hardline position of the previous regime, it is a relative statement.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think the change of tone would be good for the Catholic Church, and indirectly good for the US if it makes at least some of the anti-choice and anti-gay types less shrill. However the basic positions of the Church are not changing: Francis remains opposed to ordination of women, and the Church still considers abortion to be murder and the practice of homosexuality a sin.

Don

Gravitymaster

******So as a rule, you are generally intolerant of someone's views whom you disagree with.

Irony score 10/10

Accuracy score 10/10.

Why, thank you. I do try to be accurate.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jakee

***I admit to not paying much attention to the Pope for good or bad.

What has he done to garner some kudos in this thread?

Essentially, he's said it's more important to be nice to people than to put blind dogma above all else on issues such as contraception, gays etc.

But obviously, considering the hardline position of the previous regime, it is a relative statement.

OK, that is absolutely underwhelming to me. Of course I don't care at all for their dogma and pay no attention to what the pope says. I don't think that will change.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Gravitymaster

************So as a rule, you are generally intolerant of someone's views whom you disagree with.

Irony score 10/10

Accuracy score 10/10.

In this case, you are ironic.

Confusion score 10/10

kallend

***************So as a rule, you are generally intolerant of someone's views whom you disagree with.

Irony score 10/10

Accuracy score 10/10.

Confusion score 10/10

Sorry you are so confused. Take a couple of aspirins and try and get some rest.

Gravitymaster

******************So as a rule, you are generally intolerant of someone's views whom you disagree with.

Irony score 10/10

Accuracy score 10/10.

Confusion score 10/10

Sorry you are so confused. Take a couple of aspirins and try and get some rest.

I see that you are even more confused than before about who is replying to whom.

Tink1717

He sounds a lot like one of these priests that lost their faith a long time ago and is trying to drag the church into the 21st century. I think it's funny that the minions are scrambling after everything he says to try to make like he didn't say it. So much for papal infallability.

Papal infallibility is a really misunderstood doctrine, and it applies really, really rarely. "In July 2005 Pope Benedict XVI stated during an impromptu address to priests in Aosta that: "The Pope is not an oracle; he is infallible in very rare situations, as we know". His predecessor Pope John XXIII once remarked: "I am only infallible if I speak infallibly but I shall never do that, so I am not infallible"."

It's not that everything that comes out of the mouth of a pope is infallible. The man is still human. Papal Infallibility applies when he's speaking under really specific circumstances called "ex cathedra" teachings, which mean he's 1. deliberately speaking ex cathedra and generally states so, and 2. that he's speaking to define a specific issue that is applicable to the entire church, concerning a doctrine of faith or morals.

A pope making a statement about his personal feelings or opinion, or how he sees things is not speaking infallibly.

Nightingale

*** His predecessor Pope John XXIII once remarked: "I am only infallible if I speak infallibly but I shall never do that, so I am not infallible"."

Comes across a bit like "all men are liars".

Nightingale

A pope making a statement about his personal feelings or opinion, or how he sees things is not speaking infallibly.

first Tink, then Nightingale...

welcome back - trying to class up the place?

next thing you know we'll have the old band together

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Interesting article/interview.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/pope-francis-interview_n_4023659.html?ir=World

Heads of the Church have often been narcissists, flattered and thrilled by their courtiers. The court is the leprosy of the papacy

I don't know if he's serious, or if he's just making it look good. But if it's for real, there may well be a serious shakeup in the church. Which would be a very good thing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Interesting article/interview.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/pope-francis-interview_n_4023659.html?ir=World

Heads of the Church have often been narcissists, flattered and thrilled by their courtiers. The court is the leprosy of the papacy

I don't know if he's serious, or if he's just making it look good. But if it's for real, there may well be a serious shakeup in the church. Which would be a very good thing.

Agreed. His words are very impressive. It is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Yes, quite correct. As a Catholic myself, I know this principle of "Papal Infallibility" is one of the most misunderstood tenets of the Church. Papal Infallibility has a very very narrow scope. It is traced back to the 16th Chapter of Matthew in Peter's declarative answer to Jesus's question, "Who do you think I am?" Peter answers and Jesus commissions Peter to lead the establishment of the Church. The term "Pope" came several centuries later.

The line of Peter i.e. the Papacy is based on the tenet that of the 12 Apostles, Peter had a better knowledge of Jesus's nature. Thus theoretically, when a Pope dies and the Cardinals meet in Conclave to choose among them (through prayer and discussion) who presently has among them shares a similar insight as Peter. Thus, when the Pope speaks on issues and scope of faith and doctrine, it is infallible.

Now I know the "incoming' awaits. Folks, I'm just telling y'all how it is within the Catholic Church. I'm sure there will be disagreement, I'm just presenting the "why!"