JohnnyMarko

A gay man's rant (about blood and organ donation)

Some background:

I'm gay (if you don't know me or haven't read my posts).

I just moved and set up residency in a different state.

So I haven't been able to donate blood (something I did a lot before I was sexually active). But now that I've had protected sex with a male or two, I'm no longer allowed to donate blood. Regardless of my precautions of safe sex, I get tested and have nothing tested positive for anything. Yet, the simple fact that I partaken in sex with another male (which, over the last 2.5 years, has only been one since I'm kinda engaged), I am no longer able to donate blood.

And since I just recently set up new residency and did the whole DMV thing blah blah blah, when I was asked I wanted to be and organ donor. I declined, since I automatically assumed since I can't donate blood, organs are a no-go. When asked why (which I made a formal complaint that the bitch should not have asked why), I politely said I have sex with males so I can't donate blood which I thought would disqualify me from donating organs...yet...she said I could still sign up...ummmmmm fuck you...so, I answer a questionnaire truthfully when I go to donate blood and am denied, yet, if something happens they'll take my organs?

No thanks, I'll donate the $1 and move...

Why am I writing this?

I feel like medicine is advanced enough to be able to test blood whether it's 'at risk' or not...

It is my understanding that HIV can remain dormant and undetected for six months or longer. A blood transfusion can be an immediate infection and the company cannot afford that level of liability.

All blood is tested. However, asking the question of sexual activity is another level of precaution for the blood collection company.

Bottom line, you are a higher level of risk and they can refuse your donation.

The DMV representative is not medically trained. They are only instructed and trained to ask the question of whether or not you want to sign up as an organ donor.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

All blood is tested. However, asking the question of sexual activity is another level of precaution for the blood collection company.

I think this was true some years ago. I don't have the stats off hand right now, but I'm pretty sure the majority of HIV/AIDS infections is no longer confined to just male homosexuals. Off the top of my head, I think the leading carriers may be heterosexual blacks. Will the Red Cross start denying them too since they are the most recent 'high risk' group? Probably not. They need to get the outdated guidelines regarding homosexuals out of their donation questionnaire. I donate every 2 months and it pisses me off when I see those questions in there and know they will disqualify a very suitable candidate for blood donation just because they're gay.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

LyraM45

I think this was true some years ago. I don't have the stats off hand right now, but I'm pretty sure the majority of HIV/AIDS infections is no longer confined to just male homosexuals. Off the top of my head, I think the leading carriers may be heterosexual blacks. Will the Red Cross start denying them too since they are the most recent 'high risk' group? Probably not. They need to get the outdated guidelines regarding homosexuals out of their donation questionnaire. I donate every 2 months and it pisses me off when I see those questions in there and know they will disqualify a very suitable candidate for blood donation just because they're gay.

In terms of absolute numbers, yes, I believe your statements are accurate. However, it terms of rate, the risk is still higher for gay men. And for that matter, for people who recently traveled from malaria zones.

That all said, when you look at the list of overly conservative exclusions and the constant plea for more donors, there does seem to be a disconnect.

That all said, when you look at the list of overly conservative exclusions and the constant plea for more donors, there does seem to be a disconnect.

That's basically what I'm getting at. They will disqualify you for something stupid like stepping off a cruise ship for 5 minutes in cancun, yet they'll call you every day begging for your donation. They need to take a look at the overly conservative screeners and revamp everything, IMO.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

billvon

Heck, they don't want me because I've been in Seoul, South Korea. I can't imagine there are too many eligible blood donors left with the restrictions in place now.

I wonder why that is they have no problem with taking my blood, and i have been to seoul and many other places around the pacific rim,and indian ocean and persian gulf.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

>I wonder why that is they have no problem with taking my blood, and i have been to
>seoul and many other places around the pacific rim,and indian ocean and persian gulf.

One potential issue is time. They said I could donate after I had been back from Seoul for a year - but since I travel there pretty regularly this is effectively "you can't donate."

Another potential is different outfits having different requirements. Red Cross wouldn't take my blood for the past few years, but San Diego Blood Bank would. Now neither one will. Maybe in your area they have different guidelines.

Andy9o8

I will gladly donate to any place that will give me a bottle of Thunderbird.

One of my USAF drinking sponsors explained the Thunderbird recipe. Open the bottle and consume until the level is even with the top of the label. Then add one small can of grapefruit juice, shake well and continue drinking.

My problem, I couldn't stop at the top of the label.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

billvon

>I wonder why that is they have no problem with taking my blood, and i have been to
>seoul and many other places around the pacific rim,and indian ocean and persian gulf.

One potential issue is time. They said I could donate after I had been back from Seoul for a year - but since I travel there pretty regularly this is effectively "you can't donate."

Another potential is different outfits having different requirements. Red Cross wouldn't take my blood for the past few years, but San Diego Blood Bank would. Now neither one will. Maybe in your area they have different guidelines.

OK the time issue makes sense. I wont donate to red cross anymore, So I donate now to SanBernadino Riverside blood bank.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

RonD1120

It is my understanding that HIV can remain dormant and undetected for six months or longer. A blood transfusion can be an immediate infection and the company cannot afford that level of liability.

The DMV representative is not medically trained. They are only instructed and trained to ask the question of whether or not you want to sign up as an organ donor.

The risk of HIV in heterosexual men and women is much higher than it used to be. Which renders the whole "one source of blood is less risky than others" argument balderdash. Either your system of screening the blood works and is used across the board, or it doesn't work, and you are taking chances whether the donor is gay or not.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

***It is my understanding that HIV can remain dormant and undetected for six months or longer. A blood transfusion can be an immediate infection and the company cannot afford that level of liability.

The risk of HIV in heterosexual men and women is much higher than it used to be. Which renders the whole "one source of blood is less risky than others" argument balderdash. Either your system of screening the blood works and is used across the board, or it doesn't work, and you are taking chances whether the donor is gay or not.

How does Canada handle the problem?

:o
NorrinRadd

They don't allow blood from men who have had sex with men. :( Same myopic issue.

Anal sex has a much higher risk of spreading disease, and you can’t take people at their word when it comes to safe sex practices.
I am also sure that whatever guidelines they have to make sure the blood is safe is not 100% safe or else the issue would have never came up to begin with.

So those facts all tend to make sense, and explain why they wouldn’t take blood from Homosexuals.

There is PC and then there is science, and risk management
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

You are missing the point. Yes, there is a higher risk of gay men having it. But there are enough heteros getting HIV that they are a risk group too, now. So the screening system has to be changed to something better than "we'll check these people but wont worry about these people".
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

You are missing the point. Yes, there is a higher risk of gay men having it. But there are enough heteros getting HIV that they are a risk group too, now. So the screening system has to be changed to something better than "we'll check these people but wont worry about these people".

Change the questions:

Have you ever had sex?

Have you ever had sex with more than one person?

If no, are you married to that person?

normiss

WTH does marriage have to do with it?

???
An indicator of stability and acceptance of responsibility. However, in decadent state of our country, and the rest of the world, I guess that doesn't mean much anymore.

Exactly.

I am surprised at the implicit trust of a blood donor's honesty on a form though.
I would expect a TON of people to simply lie on the form.
I base this simply on personal experience in the society we live in.
Sometimes it seems the truth is non-existent.

Remster

However, in decadent state of our country, and the rest of the world, I guess that doesn't mean much anymore.

That's right. In the good old days, you stayed married and fucked around.

Yep, irresponsibility is increasing although always present.

normiss

Exactly.

I am surprised at the implicit trust of a blood donor's honesty on a form though.
I would expect a TON of people to simply lie on the form.
I base this simply on personal experience in the society we live in.
Sometimes it seems the truth is non-existent.

Yes what he said
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain