Darius11

Have you ever experienced, or known of someone who has been told that a relationship cannot continue to grow or that before marriage they must convert to the S.O. religion first?

Yes, why do you want to know?

It has been the case for friends / relatives in more than one major religion that I know of - in 3 cases the relationship did result in marriage, within 10 years, none of the relationships were still going.
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

I am just curious to see what religion has the most hardcore people.

Me I don’t care one bit. I guess I would be annoyed if I was around anyone who takes their religion no matter what it is way to seriously.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I was raised in a Catholic family, and know several people who married outside of the catholic church and are very happy. One being my sister. I've also dated a girl whose dad was a pastor of a non-denominational christian church which had zero leeway with out-of-church marriages (and out-of-race marriages). So I think Christianity is a bit too broad. I'm guessing the other major religions are the same way. You'll have groups on both extremes.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Just the other day a lady from my church said she quit dating a "very nice gentleman" because he would not come to our church. He is a Christian and she had attended his church.

Marriage is tough enough and has a 50% failure rate. To be unequally yoked from the beginning sets up a state of conflict that is bound to get worse.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Understand it also makes a "great" excuse in some people's minds.
It can also be a perfectly valid and expected condition in some religions.

There may be occasions where it's neither party's "fault." Just the way it is.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

oldwomanc6

Converting to a religion because of someone else's belief tells me two things:

1. You really didn't have a religious conviction to begin with.

2. You still don't have a religious conviction.

Seems kinda hollow. [:/]

I agree.

This topic got me thinking. I wonder how many people understand the difference between salvation, sanctification and discipleship?

The Great Commission from Jesus was to go into the outermost parts of the world and make disciples not go save souls. I believe many evangelists do not make the distinction accurately.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Heard of it for 4 cases.

Mormon and Islam recently.
The other two was decades ago.

Atheists? I'd think it would never get that far. Most are tolerant, and, like any other belief system, the idiotic fanaticals in that area would just drive away anyone with an opposing viewpoint long before it got serious.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This topic got me thinking. I wonder all many people understand the difference between salvation, sanctification and discipleship?

please explain i know i can google it but would like to know your version, and would marring someone from a different faith have an effect?

Darius11

This topic got me thinking. I wonder all many people understand the difference between salvation, sanctification and discipleship?

please explain i know i can google it but would like to know your version, and would marring someone from a different faith have an effect?

Like I said, it got me to thinking. Some of my mental consideration stems from my pastor's use of the term sanctification. I'll admit some uncertainty with regard to my new church.

As I understand it, salvation comes from surrendering to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and asking Him to come into your life and guide you.

Discipleship is the study and application of Biblical teaching on your path of righteousness. In other words, learning to live the right way according to God's plan.

Sanctification, according to Oswald Chambers, is the complete sell out to God. The death of self and complete spiritual unification with God through Jesus. In other words, stop living a natural life and live a spiritual life.

That is my opinion at this juncture. I am studying more because of my pastor. I do not accept him as the final authority in my walk and I do not know if he would agree with me. Hope this helps.

RonD1120

Like I said, it got me to thinking. Some of my mental consideration stems from my pastor's use of the term sanctification. I'll admit some uncertainty with regard to my new church.

As I understand it, salvation comes from surrendering to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and asking Him to come into your life and guide you.

Discipleship is the study and application of Biblical teaching on your path of righteousness. In other words, learning to live the right way according to God's plan.

Sanctification, according to Oswald Chambers, is the complete sell out to God. The death of self and complete spiritual unification with God through Jesus. In other words, stop living a natural life and live a spiritual life.

That is my opinion at this juncture. I am studying more because of my pastor. I do not accept him as the final authority in my walk and I do not know if he would agree with me. Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

For me whats even more difficult is trying to figure out what Salvation is? or are you saying that the very act of surrendering to Jesus is Salvation?

Darius11

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

For me whats even more difficult is trying to figure out what Salvation is? or are you saying that the very act of surrendering to Jesus is Salvation?

That is correct. When a person surrenders to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior his soul is saved from spiritual death. A person's soul is his mind, emotions and will or what some refer to as personality. When you are saved you are guided to make decisions for Christ instead of for self.

I tend to think that sanctification is a rather lengthy journey beginning with salvation; discipleship is the methodology.

When you are saved you are guided to make decisions for Christ instead of for self.

So basically you try to act like Jesus by that I mean you would look at a situation and think what would Jesus do if he was here? and do that instead of what you might have wanted to do?

If your a good person, i am assuming here correct me if i am wrong that the voice of your conscience is what guides you do as Jesus would have. or is there another way to make sure you act correctly?