mpohl

Medical Professionals, PLEAZE!

I am not sure where to put this.

But I am looking for input from medical professionals ONLY. I see the kind of you wandering in your blue or green garb/ uniform in my gym, on the street, supermarket, etc, etc.

What I don't understand. You are working in a medical environment, and many a times your customers don't feel well or are actually sick. Now, why the hell would anyone take their potentially contaminated/ infectious wardrobe for a walk??

Conversely. Many of your customers are sick, maybe weakened. Why would any medical professional want to expose his/her patients to outside pathogens upon returning to his/her place of work?

I just don't understand!

mpohl

So, it is ok if I take my white lab coat out of the chemistry lab, and dust the local McD w/ heavy metals and other toxic substances?

You really think you could make McD's more unhealthy than it already is?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm not a med prof., but I have worked at several hospitals.

They're probably not as contaminated as you might think. I've seen numerous changes a day by docs/nurses. They might have changed right before leaving for lunch, change again before coming back on duty, change a few times while on duty and then a fresh set to go home. They probably wear that set from and then to work and change into a new set in the morning before seeing the first patient.

I'm not including dental professionals (I have no idea how often they change).
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

You are not really helping here. Are you a medical professional? If not, GET LOST. :):)

ryoder

So, it is ok if I take my white lab coat out of the chemistry lab, and dust the local McD w/ heavy metals and other toxic substances?

Change even before they go home?

Why even change then, into other than your street garb. So, you can have all the peasants staring at you, thinking that you are an MD while actually cleaning urinals?

I don't buy into that explanation. NEXT.

oldwomanc6

I'm not a med prof., but I have worked at several hospitals.

They're probably not as contaminated as you might think. I've seen numerous changes a day by docs/nurses. They might have changed right before leaving for lunch, change again before coming back on duty, change a few times while on duty and then a fresh set to go home. They probably wear that set from and then to work and change into a new set in the morning before seeing the first patient.

I'm not including dental professionals (I have no idea how often they change).

I'm a medical professional. Respiratory Therapist and a Flight Medic.

If you see me in my scrubs that means I'm on my way to work in a clean pair or if it's after work I'm wearing my street clothes.

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

The ones in scrubs aren't dealing with the stuff you think they are. The ones to watch out for at the guys with ties tucked in between the buttons of their shirts. That means he's done a procedure.

But on another point, how do you rhink the sick person made it to be treated? I assure you, the individual went via public methods.

The truly nasty stuff if disposed of appropriately.

By the way - know the difference between an OBGYN and a bandleader? A bandleader fucks his singers.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>But I am looking for input from medical professionals ONLY.

Husband of one here . . . .

> You are working in a medical environment, and many a times your customers don't feel
>well or are actually sick. Now, why the hell would anyone take their potentially
>contaminated/ infectious wardrobe for a walk??

Because you have been on for 30 hours straight and you just want to go home and go to sleep. Maybe stop for milk on the way home.

Small exposure to germs, bacteria, viruses creates antibodies and strengthens your immune system. Instead of bitching about the doctors that do that, thank them.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

From a flight nurse:

Scrubs have become a de facto uniform, worn by WAY more people in healthcare than just those that actually need to change out of them frequently. ACTUALLY, the ones who might need to change into fresh scrubs frequently or who work in areas where infection or getting bloody is a significant issue (such as the OR and Labor/Delivery) will have their scrubs provided by the hospital. SO, more than likely, you won't ever see them out in public in scrubs. They go to work in street clothes, change into the hospital-provided scrubs, then wear their street clothes home.

Most hospital staff are expected to provide their own scrubs.

When infection is a risk (either to or from the patient), supplemental precautions are used including gowns and masks. The degree and type of precaution used is a function of the illness and mode of transmission being considered.

Study after study after study has shown the most effective barrier to transmission of disease is... wait for it... hand washing. If healthcare workers are doing their job of washing their hands well, and you as an average Joe wash your hands prior to/ after handling food or handling your moist bits, you'll go a long way to keeping yourself as healthy as possible.

Elvisio "wish I could wear scrubs now, but can't get them in Nomex" Rodriguez

I am sort of, kinda getting it. Let me summarize, and you tell me where I am wrong.

The scrubs I see at Costco shopping mid-day, or at my gym at 11 am are not infectious. They are just impostors.

Because Americans have an infatuation with all things involving uniforms (military, FD, PD). Short of that, wearing scrubs is a back-up. Did I get that right?

skydiver30960

From a flight nurse:

Scrubs have become a de facto uniform, worn by WAY more people in healthcare than just those that actually need to change out of them frequently. ACTUALLY, the ones who might need to change into fresh scrubs frequently or who work in areas where infection or getting bloody is a significant issue (such as the OR and Labor/Delivery) will have their scrubs provided by the hospital. SO, more than likely, you won't ever see them out in public in scrubs. They go to work in street clothes, change into the hospital-provided scrubs, then wear their street clothes home.

Most hospital staff are expected to provide their own scrubs.

When infection is a risk (either to or from the patient), supplemental precautions are used including gowns and masks. The degree and type of precaution used is a function of the illness and mode of transmission being considered.

Study after study after study has shown the most effective barrier to transmission of disease is... wait for it... hand washing. If healthcare workers are doing their job of washing their hands well, and you as an average Joe wash your hands prior to/ after handling food or handling your moist bits, you'll go a long way to keeping yourself as healthy as possible.

Elvisio "wish I could wear scrubs now, but can't get them in Nomex" Rodriguez

billvon

>But I am looking for input from medical professionals ONLY.

Husband of one here . . . .

> You are working in a medical environment, and many a times your customers don't feel
>well or are actually sick. Now, why the hell would anyone take their potentially
>contaminated/ infectious wardrobe for a walk??

Because you have been on for 30 hours straight and you just want to go home and go to sleep. Maybe stop for milk on the way home.

My wife is an MD too.

Last time she wore scrubs was 22 years ago, when she was pregnant. Says they were the most comfortable clothes she had.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

mpohl

I am sort of, kinda getting it. Let me summarize, and you tell me where I am wrong.

The scrubs I see at Costco shopping mid-day, or at my gym at 11 am are not infectious. They are just impostors.

Because Americans have an infatuation with all things involving uniforms (military, FD, PD). Short of that, wearing scrubs is a back-up. Did I get that right?

Pretty much, don't worry, be happy.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

They're also a fashion statement for some. As in "I give up." Since they're not supposed to look good, the person wearing them has no need to invest effort in looking good, either.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

mpohl

You are not really helping here. Are you a medical professional? If not, GET LOST. :):)

They are probably bringing more pathogens OUT of the hospital than in.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

I do urgent care/ER style work. I see all the upper resp/flu/whatever you can name day in and day out. I wear scrubs from home, to the office, and back. My scrubs are monogrammed with my name and title, and the name of the company. I do this so I don't ruin nice dress clothes in case someone vomits on me, or I get blood on me, or pus, or whatever. If I get nasty shit on me, I change. I don't want to be in fouled clothing any more than anyone else does.

When I go home, sometimes I stop by the store - I still am in my scrubs. I assure that I have washed and cleaned my hands, fingernails, etc WAY more than the guy beside you in line has today. I am also conscious of touching/coughing on my hands then not touching food WAY more than the lady who just wiped her toddler's nose then tested to see if the melons are ripe.

/med student wear them so everyone thinks they are Drs
//WAY more people wear scrubs than need to
///not just for the OR anymore
////AND as I said - the dirty ones, the really dirty pairs, are off of us as SOON as we can get them off.

Here's the real question - if I saw patients all day in the office, got sneezed on, coughed on, but was wearing a business suit, what would you say then?