quade

Georgia School Shooting - 08/20/2013

diablopilot

******so I guess shooting at a school but not hitting anyone is still considered a shooting?

If this was at a discount tire shop would it have gotten as much coverage? if any?

Probably! If there were dozens, if not hundreds, of school children there.

And no guns because it's a "gun free zone".

Think about it.

Think about this: It only took one person talking to him to get him to stop and surrender.

kallend

How many does it take before something gets done?

And what do you suggest?

Asked and answered previously, several times.

Saying you answered it is not answering it.

Maybe you could link to your wonderful ideas instead of hiding them?

ChasingBlueSky

*********so I guess shooting at a school but not hitting anyone is still considered a shooting?

If this was at a discount tire shop would it have gotten as much coverage? if any?

Probably! If there were dozens, if not hundreds, of school children there.

And no guns because it's a "gun free zone".

Think about it.

Think about this: It only took one person talking to him to get him to stop and surrender.

That means homeboy didn't really want to kill anybody. People tried to talk to harris and Kleibolt and got their faces blown off. Hugs don't stop a person intent on killing.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Awesome.... I wish it were that easy, but it is not.

Didn't work at VT
Didn't work in Columbine
Didn't work in Newtown
Didn't work in Aurora
Didn't work in AZ

In all those cases it took an armed response.

Typical police procedure:
1. Ask them to comply
2. Tell them to comply
3. Make them comply

Works in all kinds of situations. If you get to stop at #1.. GREAT. But that is not always the case.

Just a random thought: talking works long before they walk in the front door. However the position many people have on gun control prevent that from ever happening. I guess its better to just build an armory instead.

ChasingBlueSky

Just a random thought: talking works long before they walk in the front door. However the position many people have on gun control prevent that from ever happening. I guess its better to just build an armory instead.

I'm having trouble parsing this...

People on both sides of the gun-control debate are making this too much about gun control and not enough about mental health?

Serious consideration of mental healthcare and counciling is an issue in and of itself and improving access to it is something that politicians would not have as much trouble building support for if it were not bundled with other "off the shelf" gun control measures.

My random thought is to take articles about incidents like this and step through the order in which facts about the incident are revealed to the reader...

Article from post #17 Title: "Atlanta area shooting revives issue of gun access and mental health"

okay, so approximate location and we're gonna hear something about mental health...

1) Age and gender of the shooter
2) what type of firearm he had
3) it was at an elementary school
4) he has a history of mental illness
5) he has made threats on facebook
6) a clerk talked him into turning himself in
7) how many rounds of ammunition he had on him
8) nobody was injured
9) police aren't sure how he got a gun

Article from post #1 Title: "Police: Gunman wielded AK-47 inside Georgia school; no one injured"

Okay I immediately know what type of weapon it is and that it was in a school. It's nice to see the fact that no one was injured in the headline.

1) gender of the shooter
2) it was in an elementary school
3) what type of firearm he had
4) he turned himself in
5) no one was injured
6) name and age of shooter
7) charges he faces (revealing his having the firearm was illegal)
8) how many rounds he fired
9) police don't know what relation he had to the school and they think he snuck in
10) there was an ensuing bomb scare resulting in a sweep that revealed nothing

Serious consideration of mental healthcare and counciling is an issue in and of itself and improving access to it is something that politicians would not have as much trouble building support for if it were not bundled with other "off the shelf" gun control measures.
[/Quote]
Like Obamacare?

DaVinci

Awesome.... I wish it were that easy, but it is not.

Didn't work at VT
Didn't work in Columbine
Didn't work in Newtown
Didn't work in Aurora
Didn't work in AZ

Keeping guns away from loonies would have worked in all those cases.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ChasingBlueSky

[/Quote]
Like Obamacare?

I was thinking more along the lines of things like MHPAEA 2008 or one of Obama's "23 executive actions" early this year about training 5,000 more mental health professionals and improved mental health awareness education for teachers... things where mental health is the focus.

And the flip side on gun control is to deny a right to 99% of Americans based on the actions of a very small percentage.

I am ALL for talking, I am not for removing a *right* based on the *hope* it might do *something* to prevent less than 1% of *criminals* or the *insane*.

I guess its better to just build an armory instead.

When faced with a mad man with a gun.... I'd rather have a gun than a dictionary.

Keeping guns away from loonies would have worked in all those cases.

Yep. Now how do you do that without trashing the rights of 99% of Americans?

But just for fun:
VT - The shooter was already a prohibited person who was not allowed to own a gun. A LONG history of mental issues. The Govt and school screwed up in not reporting it.

Columbine - Already illegal to build a bomb and take guns and bombs onto school grounds. Both shooters also had a history of mental issues that were mostly ignored.

Newtown - Already illegal to kill your mother. Already illegal to take guns onto a school ground. The shooter had a LONG history of mental problems that were ignored.

Aurora - Long history of mental issues to include death threats on a school counselor.. Not Reported.

Giffords shooter - Long history of mental issues. The school let him drop out instead of kicking him out. They also didn't report him.

So as you can see... The issue is the loonies are not being reported. Each of these cases could have been prevented by following the current law.