quade

Georgia School Shooting - 08/20/2013

Interesting how a 19 year old with a gun in a school with obviously no firearms training since he sprayed bullets and didn't hit anyone...and how that's front page center on cnn.

But some black teens shoot an unarmed white kid from australia and [cause dey be bored...and ready to kill somebody] and yet somehow that's not newsworthy enough for as much media generation as this incident.

Pretty much the same reason the Kennedy assassination isn't getting coverage today.

The Oklahoma shooting was last week and charges were filed yesterday.
This shooting in Georgia just happened within the last couple of hours.

It's called "news" because, well, it's new.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

regulator

so I guess shooting at a school but not hitting anyone is still considered a shooting?

If this was at a discount tire shop would it have gotten as much coverage? if any?

Probably! If there were dozens, if not hundreds, of school children there.

The only way this isn't news is if we're in Somalia.
quade -

"The shooter fired approximately six shots from inside the school toward officers as they approached outside, Alexander said, and police returned fire."

Always read the links Quade posts. Don't trust him to accurate summarize them.

"The shooter barricaded himself in the school's front office with employees before eventually surrendering to police, DeKalb County Police Chief Cedric Alexander told reporters."

In spite of ample opportunity to shoot people at the school, apparently that was not the plan for this person. I wonder what we'll find out in a few more days.

quade

Pretty much the same reason the Kennedy assassination isn't getting coverage today.

The Oklahoma shooting was last week and charges were filed yesterday.
This shooting in Georgia just happened within the last couple of hours.

It's called "news" because, well, it's new.

The Oklahoma shooting is front page on the SF Chronicle page. Last week it was a random shooting. This week, with a bit of facts collected (rather than mindless speculation for political purposes), it's a potentially racially motivated assassination by 3 teenagers.

kelpdiver

Always read the links Quade posts. Don't trust him to accurate summarize them.

Please quote verbatim any inaccuracies you can find in any of my posts in this thread.

Or, of course, I could alway say I don't trust you to summarize what I've written.
quade -

regulator

so I guess shooting at a school but not hitting anyone is still considered a shooting?

Read that sentence very slowly again. If it helps, remove a couple of the descriptive phrases. We're left with:

... shooting ... is still considered a shooting.

Yes, I guess that is indeed true. Remarkable. :o
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

regulator

Interesting how a 19 year old with a gun in a school with obviously no firearms training since he sprayed bullets and didn't hit anyone...and how that's front page center on cnn.

But some black teens shoot an unarmed white kid from australia and [cause dey be bored...and ready to kill somebody] and yet somehow that's not newsworthy enough for as much media generation as this incident.

NONSENSE - the OK incident is all over the news.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Interesting how a 19 year old with a gun in a school with obviously no firearms
>training since he sprayed bullets and didn't hit anyone...

Good point. (Although it's probably fortunate that he wasn't a firearms safety instructor; if he had been, he would have shot himself.)

rhaig

Now Bill... don't go getting confused.

The firearms safety instructor shot one of his students. It was the ATF agent who shot himself.

Given the level of accuracy we're seeing recently from trained individuals, it is actually a miracle that they managed even to hit themselves.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

According to this article it looks like this guy was severely disturbed and had a history of violent acts.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/national/School-shooting-suspect-s-brother-speaks-out/-/9837944/21615298/-/9p181xz/-/index.html#ixzz2co2mtWo9

"Everything just started changing after doctors started messing with his medicines here and there and changing it up and putting him on a different one and institutionalized him multiple times to correct his medicine," he said. "It just escalated from there."
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

Have you seen the list of prescription drugs all the mass shooting loonies are on???

I have, I am asking Kallend what he thinks should be done.

I have no issue with removing a proven insane persons right to keep and bear arms. In fact, the Gun Control Act of 1968 made it illegal for an insane person to own a gun. With the exception of the 'sporting clause' it was a pretty reasonable law.

quade

***so I guess shooting at a school but not hitting anyone is still considered a shooting?

If this was at a discount tire shop would it have gotten as much coverage? if any?

And no guns because it's a "gun free zone".

Think about it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

diablopilot

******so I guess shooting at a school but not hitting anyone is still considered a shooting?

And no guns because it's a "gun free zone".

I was unaware most "discount tire shop(s)" had "gun free zone(s)" around them.

Did YOU think about it?
quade -