Bignugget

What if SLIDERS was real, and there were no guns in this version?

regulator

but you go out on the battlefield with cheetos and joints and when the enemy splits your face in two with a well placed .50 round Ill go to your dead body and grab all your joints and add them to my own stash and then fire back at the enemy. When the day is over and we bury you I'll smoke some of my weed...well cause...its probably vastly better. And I'll say a prayer for you.

Well obviously I wouldn't wander out onto a battlefield....thats pretty fuckin dumb in general but even more so if you are unarmed, high, and eating cheetos.....

Bignugget

***So would this be before the American Revolution?

Well no, in my version it is Post-revolutionary war. I suppose it can be at anytime in your episode.

The nation doesn't form successfully, as it did, without the 2nd Amendment, among others. Remember that the Constitution was the second attempt at forming the nation.

quade

I'd like to think we'd be more like Japan; general violent crime down, mass murders down considerably, maybe even a polite society (that's the optimist in me), but it's impossible to say for sure.

So you actually mean, Japan of the last few decades, and not the one described in movies (see Black Rain or Kill Bill Vol 1). Go back just a little bit further and you have the Japan that slaughtered 10s of millions of Chinese and Koreans and others in Asia, made sex slaves out of the remaining women, and that was on top of a pretty long feudal era. Which is close to where I would see this America - more like Sparta where physical prowess is the key to citizenship and power.

For the first century of America's existence as a nation (along with the 2 centuries prior), a significant majority of Americans lived in rural or frontier lands, and had to rely on themselves. Without the guns, the Indians don't lose (some may see this as a positive), perhaps ever. Mexico doesn't lose the Southwest. But we would still have most states formed with the use of brute force, but now with swords or arrows instead of black powder. There would be more villainy on the roads, not less. More horse thieving.

I don't see how it leads to a culture of greater peacefulness. Quite the contrary.

JFK is still alive, and after 30 years of absolute military rule, his son is now in charge and milking the populace for bigger and shinier cities to be constructed in his honor. he's fat, short, and wears a really uptight little outfit.

The right is arguing over the ability to own sharp pointy sticks longer than 3 feet. While naive wierdos all complain how great it is that Emil Kennedy is the absolute ruler and that if we just outlawed pointy sticks, the anger and violence in the inner cities would just go away and people would willingly share their government portioned weekly bread loaf with those less fortunate.

A couple armies in the independent country of New Mexas are currently fighting - the Yangs are adamant that their old document the "Eed Penista" is the true passage to freedom. But they are losing as Emil is financing the freedom fighters of the Kahn army.

All in all, it's a pretty nice day today, my weekly loaf of bread is mostly bread,....and I can pick out the few weevils crawling around in it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

JFK is still alive, and after 30 years of absolute military rule, his son is now in charge and milking the populace for bigger and shinier cities to be constructed in his honor. he's fat, short, and wears a really uptight little outfit.

The right is arguing over the ability to own sharp pointy sticks longer than 3 feet. While naive wierdos all complain how great it is that Emil Kennedy is the absolute ruler and that if we just outlawed pointy sticks, the anger and violence in the inner cities would just go away and people would willingly share their government portioned weekly bread loaf with those less fortunate.

A couple armies in the independent country of New Mexas are currently fighting - the Yangs are adamant that their old document the "Eed Penista" is the true passage to freedom. But they are losing as Emil is financing the freedom fighters of the Kahn army.

All in all, it's a pretty nice day today, my weekly loaf of bread is mostly bread,....and I can pick out the few weevils crawling around in it.

I'd watch this episode for sure.

Bignugget

***JFK is still alive, and after 30 years of absolute military rule, his son is now in charge and milking the populace for bigger and shinier cities to be constructed in his honor. he's fat, short, and wears a really uptight little outfit.

actually, Cheetos were never invented. But Twinkies are still in existence and are slightly tastier - wacky stuff

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Bignugget

Well obviously I wouldn't wander out onto a battlefield....thats pretty fuckin dumb in general but even more so if you are unarmed, high, and eating cheetos.....

:D:D:D
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

kelpdiver

Go back just a little bit further and you have the Japan that slaughtered 10s of millions of Chinese and Koreans and others in Asia, made sex slaves out of the remaining women, and that was on top of a pretty long feudal era.

Even in the feudal "shogun" era it was still far more civilized and peaceful (or at least I believe it was) than much of the US is today.

Again though, this is all picking and choosing and speculation based on what people want to believe rather than any projection of reality, because, well, that's simply impossible to know.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

rehmwa

******JFK is still alive, and after 30 years of absolute military rule, his son is now in charge and milking the populace for bigger and shinier cities to be constructed in his honor. he's fat, short, and wears a really uptight little outfit.

actually, Cheetos were never invented. But Twinkies are still in existence and are slightly tastier - wacky stuff

Getting a little less believable now.

How can twinkies taste BETTER than they already do?

quade

***Go back just a little bit further and you have the Japan that slaughtered 10s of millions of Chinese and Koreans and others in Asia, made sex slaves out of the remaining women, and that was on top of a pretty long feudal era.

Even in the feudal "shogun" era it was still far more civilized and peaceful (or at least I believe it was) than much of the US is today.

if any sense of freedom is removed, sure, vaguely civilized. Great for the feudal lords.

If society breaks down, I'll be the feudal lord of the western end of San Francisco. It will be fucking awesome for me. Very civilized so long as I get my daily needs for food and drink.

Bignugget

i wouldn't know anything about wandering a battlefield unarmed and high, but i did do a night combat drop with the 82d one time where myself and most of the plane were trippin'. talk about a time...trying to run off a parachute at about 500 feet in total darkness is hard enough when you're straight, almost impossible while trippin'. i think my chute reinflated at around 50 feet. i just had time to drop my equipment and plf.

sfzombie13

i wouldn't know anything about wandering a battlefield unarmed and high, but i did do a night combat drop with the 82d one time where myself and most of the plane were trippin'. talk about a time...trying to run off a parachute at about 500 feet in total darkness is hard enough when you're straight, almost impossible while trippin'. i think my chute reinflated at around 50 feet. i just had time to drop my equipment and plf.

Id watch this episode too.

Bignugget

Don't forget the part about being naked sitting in a bean bag chair.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hard to say really.

Most of the business owners I know personally do have weapons in their business.
Also, if it's a legal conceal carry state, no telling how many customers are packin'.

Personally I'm confused over the introduction of pork sliders.
I had been led to believe that a slider is a small burger, not a pulled pork sammich.

DanG

I think the only pertinent question is, "Are there light sabers in this world?"

If there were = then someone wants to ban them.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

DanG

You can have my light saber when you pry it from my cold, metallic, artificial hand that I got because my Dad's a dick.

It's your episode.

You can develop it however you desire.

Maybe there ARE light sabers because instead of focusing all of the time/effort/money into making firearms for 300 years the United States spends all that money on research into lasers and shit to send us to Pluto. As a by-product you get the development of light sabers.

Light sabers are also restricted in production and allowed only by permit, same as firearms which have all but disappeared from civilian life.

dmcoco84

Light sabers are also restricted in production and allowed only by permit, same as firearms which have all but disappeared from civilian life.

Yeah, cause phasers were invented.

Mini Rail Guns.

Beyond that I imagine a less violence obsessed society developed over hundreds of years to mediate conflict without resorting to murder.

And yet, no civilization on Earth has obtained that even with strict gun control laws.

Me? I'd see a govt much like the one in the book 1984. Where the rich control everything without even the hint that things are fair and everyone has a chance.

The average 'citizen' would be a serf to the politically powerful and they would be hiding behind armed security.... Kind of like how I envision the movie 'Elysium' is like.