Commerce and employment
Historical preservation and study
Obtaining food by hunting
Olympic competition
Collecting
Sporting pursuits
Target practice
Recreational shooting

Emergency preparedness (Prepare to kill people or animals)

Commerce and employment (Yep, sold as a means to kill things)

Historical preservation and study (I guess?, not really what they were intended for I don't think.)

Obtaining food by hunting (Yep, by killing bambi)

Collecting (sorta falls under preservation and study)

(All these to make you more proficient at killing something with a gun)
Olympic competition
Sporting pursuits
Target practice
Recreational shooting

The gun is designed to kill shit, thats its purpose.

The joint is designed to relax you and make you eat Cheetos.

When I am world dictator general, first order of business is collecting 280 million guns, and distributing 280 million joints (and buy the cheeto factory).

Congrats you have proven you can't make a rational argument or stick with one.

This is what happens when you never learn to deal with life without medication and resort to sitting around, smoking pot, eating cheetos and watching TV instead of doing something productive.

Olympic competition
Sporting pursuits
Target practice
Recreational shooting

The same can be said of the Javlin, Discus, Hammer, and Archery. :S
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Why did you start this thread? You evidently don't want your questioned answered since, when it has been answered, you have argued with people, line by line. What dog do you have in this fight?
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Nataly

Why would anyone need an AR-15?

A better question is "Why would an American need to justify that to his own government, much less to foreigners like you and Piers?" Those who are demanding such answers aren't really interested in hearing them, nor do they have the capacity to understand anyway. They would reduce us to a nation of citizens who beg our government to decide for us "what we need."

Bignugget

***Emergency preparedness
Commerce and employment
Historical preservation and study
Obtaining food by hunting
Olympic competition
Collecting
Sporting pursuits
Target practice
Recreational shooting

Emergency preparedness (Prepare to kill people or animals)

Commerce and employment (Yep, sold as a means to kill things)

Historical preservation and study (I guess?, not really what they were intended for I don't think.)

Obtaining food by hunting (Yep, by killing bambi)

Collecting (sorta falls under preservation and study)

Olympic competition
Sporting pursuits
Target practice
Recreational shooting

The gun is designed to kill shit, thats its purpose.

The joint is designed to relax you and make you eat Cheetos.

When I am world dictator general, first order of business is collecting 280 million guns, and distributing 280 million joints (and buy the cheeto factory).

---------------------------------------------------
You wouldn't last ten seconds in the alaskan outback. You see people there have to use their firearms to kill animals to eat for the winter. You would be the first person to starve.

Also if you ever watched the show 'Yukon men'
[of course it isn't MTV with action packed stars like the folks from jersey shore and tila tequila]

but if you ever watched Yukon Men you would see one of the gentlemen hunting with an AR. He even uses iron sights.

regulator

Also if you ever watched the show 'Yukon men'
[of course it isn't MTV with action packed stars like the folks from jersey shore and tila tequila]

but if you ever watched Yukon Men you would see one of the gentlemen hunting with an AR. He even uses iron sights.

I know you guys might not realize this, so Ill point it out directly.

Shooting bambi in the face, generally ends bambis life.

guns have no purpose EXCEPT to end life.

Thats why the Secret Service choose GUNS as their weapon of choice against a would be assassin of your beloved Obama. They are most effective at ending the life of someone/thing.

Guns weren't designed to "shoot targets at the olympics" the olympic sport was developed to SHOWCASE how well people are at shooting a tiny target (you know, like the heart of an animal or person)

Yep...same with javelin.

The javelin wasn't developed so that people could practice throwing shit a long way.

The spear was developed to kill things, and then they developed CONTESTS to compete and further the skill set of throwing a spear to kill things.

The fact remains the world isn't all rainbows and butterflies no matter how much you want that utopia, it simply is not there.
There are very valid times when we as humans need to defend ourselves from thugs of varying flavors.
While you personally may have no interest in defending your own life and are willing to bow down to an attacker, I do not.
I would prefer to have every tool available to me to keep myself, my family, my friends, neighbors, and countrymen alive.

We would gladly let you fend for yourself since you dislike the tool so much. ;)

normiss

The fact remains the world isn't all rainbows and butterflies no matter how much you want that utopia, it simply is not there.
There are very valid times when we as humans need to defend ourselves from thugs of varying flavors.
While you personally may have no interest in defending your own life and are willing to bow down to an attacker, I do not.
I would prefer to have every tool available to me to keep myself, my family, my friends, neighbors, and countrymen alive.

We would gladly let you fend for yourself since you dislike the tool so much. ;)

The fact remains guns are meant to kill things.

280 million products floating around designed to end life isn't all rainbows and butterflies I agree.

I would still help you if you were being attacked, i'm not a dickhead just because I hold an opposite opinion on whether guns improve the world or not, I guess that doesn't hold true across the spectrum.

Bignugget

***Also if you ever watched the show 'Yukon men'

I know you guys might not realize this, so Ill point it out directly.

Shooting bambi in the face, generally ends bambis life.

guns have no purpose EXCEPT to end life.

Thats why the Secret Service choose GUNS as their weapon of choice against a would be assassin of your beloved Obama. They are most effective at ending the life of someone/thing.

Guns weren't designed to "shoot targets at the olympics" the olympic sport was developed to SHOWCASE how well people are at shooting a tiny target (you know, like the heart of an animal or person)

Yep...same with javelin.

The javelin wasn't developed so that people could practice throwing shit a long way.

The spear was developed to kill things, and then they developed CONTESTS to compete and further the skill set of throwing a spear to kill things.

----------------------------------------------------
I am not a hunter. While I am able to drive to the store and buy meat for my wife and my family I do not have the need to go out and shoot bambi. I personally love animals. However if it came down to it, and I had to kill bambi to put meat on the table I would do it in a heartbeat. Until that time comes I'll be eating steaks from the Kroger Meat Dept. and eating venison my hunter friends bring me.

normiss

I never claimed they make the world better.
No more than a hammer would - it's just a tool.

I see them as a necessity. Sad, but true. This is a violent world at times and I try to not fall victim to that.

Then you claim they make the world worse?

Or they have 0 impact on day to day life?

I claim hammers make the world better. They allow us to build shit. A hammers' sole purpose for design was not to kill/maim life.

Croc

Why did you start this thread? You evidently don't want your questioned answered since, when it has been answered, you have argued with people, line by line. What dog do you have in this fight?

Wrong. There have been good, ok, and bad answers. I have not argued with everyone who answered my question. I have argued with people who are not answering the question, not answering the question with logical arguments, or just making ridiculous or irrelevant statements.

There is no fight - we're all just killing time here...

As for the comment (by captain_stan) about foreigners butting out of American business... You can calm down... Many foreigners are all too happy for the US to allow their citizens to own weapons they can use for killing each-other off :o:ph34r::ph34r::P

(That last bit was a joke, in case anyone didn't get that.)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

normiss

The last bit could also be seen as justification of your initial question.
;)

There we go, the question has been answered: "population control."

:D:D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

An AR-15 is a fun little rifle that generally is cheap to own, maintain, and shoot. Since it's very popular there are tons of ways to customize it if you so choose and it appeals to a wide range of people whether they be Cawadooty mall-ninjas, recreational hunters/varminters, competitors, and even women because of its low felt-recoil and light weight.

Singling out a weapon because it's popular (and in the news) is capricious and arbitrary and will do nothing to stem gun violence if that's actually your intent, especially considering pistols are the weapon of choice the vast majority of the time when crimes are committed with firearms. Plus, there are plenty of rifles out there that are much more ferocious than an AR clone. It's like proposing to ban Stiletto canopies because they were really popular and have a scary name.

If your intent is to "save lives" then I suggest focusing your efforts on larger issues like kids drowning in swimming pools and people being beat to death with hammers, both of which kill more people every year than all types of "assault rifles" combined.

As for why someone "needs" one I could simply say "to provide suppressing fire on an enemy position while the other fire team undertakes a flanking maneuver." But you probably won't ever need to do that you say? Fine, you probably won't ever need your reserve or an AAD either so you wouldn't mind jumping without them then, right?

It's better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

So, if you don't like anything that "only works to kill", do you want to ban bows and arrows, crossbows, discus, swords, knives over six inches, atlatls, sharpened sticks too?

How would you suggest a physically weaker and less capable person defend the self from a stronger an more capable aggressor?

And FYI, hammers were designed as a weapon of war. Later we figured out nails and stick frame construction (something the world would be better off without).
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Kennedy

So, if you don't like anything that "only works to kill", do you want to ban bows and arrows, crossbows, discus, swords, knives over six inches, atlatls, sharpened sticks too?

Nope, at least not until there are 280 million of them around and more people per capita die by them in the USA than in Yemen. When we get to that point we can make a new thread

How would you suggest a physically weaker and less capable person defend the self from a stronger an more capable aggressor?

I would refer you to Normiss. Life isnt all butterflies, sometimes good people get hurt.

And FYI, hammers were designed as a weapon of war. Later we figured out nails and stick frame construction (something the world would be better off without).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer#History

normiss

Someone walking up to you and shooting you to death because you chose to arm yourself is Darwinism???
ummm....yyeeeeeaaaaahhhh.
:S:S:S

I figured you wouldn't understand the reference, so I edited it for you.

Sometimes the weaker one loses out. That's just life.

His question implied both were unarmed, and the one simply physically outmatches the other.

Life sucks sometimes.

I don't think that means we need 280 million guns.