GQ_jumper

When keeping it real goes wrong

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/israel-hernandez-taser_n_3722420.html

Really surprised people haven't jumped all over this one in this forum yet unless I missed it in my search.

My take, whether he was a "good kid" or not he was breaking the law and resisted when he was approached. He turned a misdemeanor that probably would've landed him a bit of community service into a serious crime(resisting arrest) and lost his life because of his own actions. And now his family is trying to play the victim role. Your kid turned out to be a shit head, and lost his life because of it. Move on and quit wasting the government's money with these bullshit lawsuits.

Tasing someone who is resisting instead of getting into a physical altercation with them is a prudent move and the police did nothing wrong. When I was a teenager I was caught doing something very similar, but the difference was I cooperated with the police and took my punishment like a man. In return for my respectful behavior I was never cuffed and wasn't even searched until back at the station and the officer treated me very courteously. I also plead guilty and did my community service without complaint. Its called being an adult, this guy was 18 so he has no excuse for his behavior. Its a sad loss for the family but he brought it on himself.

Everyone dies eventually, the stupid just die sooner.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I was actually going to post this, until I read the article carefully. This was an unfortunate outcome to a situation that didn't have to have any outcome other than "Darn officer, you got me. Now where do I do that community service?"
If the cops grabbed him and he struggled, any slight injury to a policeman could have been treated as a felony assault, so the taser wasn't really an error in judgement by the cops. There are plenty of examples of cops who don't do their job properly, but this might be seen as an example of a citizen who didn't do his job properly. Oh, what's his job? Same as mine - go through life obeying the law and not bothering other people and their property.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Israel Hernandez, 18, was a skateboarder and artist who "wanted to change the world somehow through art,” his sister, Offir Hernandez, told the Miami Herald.

This is a sad story, but defacing other people's property is not art. It's vandalism. :|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

Israel Hernandez, 18, was a skateboarder and artist who "wanted to change the world somehow through art,” his sister, Offir Hernandez, told the Miami Herald.

This is a sad story, but defacing other people's property is not art. It's vandalism. :|

Graffiti artists do some wicked ass stuff. Tagging an abandoned out of business spot...eh whats he hurting? Driving the property value of some abandoned shit down? I can handle that as the worst of the crimes we are dealing with.

Sucks he died though. The cops did him right, they could have just fuckin shot him in the face 10 times. They couldn't know he would be one of the flukes who dies from the taser.

High fiving after some fat out of shape cops manage to chase an 18yr old down sounds ok to me too. I would be about to stroke out. I would be pretty stoked if I managed to catch an 18 year old.

Now this is subjective
Only those who think like Bignugget get to decide when it is right and ok and when it is not
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Now this is subjective
Only those who think like Bignugget get to decide when it is right and ok and when it is not

Art is, by its nature, subjective.

Do you really think it's not a sad story that some kid died for no good reason? The facts of this case may exonerate the cops, but I personally think the cops go to the taser way more often than they should.

- Dan G

DanG

Now this is subjective

Do you really think it's not a sad story that some kid died for no good reason? The facts of this case may exonerate the cops, but I personally think the cops go to the taser way more often than they should.

My post was sarcastic and was replying to the vandalism comment. Bignugget thinks it is ok to do this in certain situations therefore he has declared himself the decider
No comment to his death at all
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Back in the days of Franco, some youngster decided to put in his two Pesetas' worth with a can of spray paint on a wall.

While he was so engaged, the Guardia Civil passed by and voiced their disapproval by means of a burst of submachine gun fire, and he stopped what he was doing.

Very results-oriented - Spain was remarkably graffiti-free for some reason.

BSBD,

Winsor

DanG

Now this is subjective

I'm not saying its not sad to see a life ended so early, but at the same time I have a complete lack of sympathy for the circumstances surrounding the death. Like I said in my original post, if you act like a dirt bag karma will catch up to you.

I also disagree that the police went to the taser too quickly. Can you name another option? An 18 year old is probably going to be far more spry and nimble than a police officer running with a vest and belt full of equipment on. And if they do manage to run him down you have to assume that since he is running he will put up a fight. Now you have a person who could inflict damage on you and his charges suddenly become assaulting a police officer. Or on the other hand you utilize a tool that is proven 99% of the time to be non-lethal and avoid putting yourself in more danger than necessary. You don't know what that kid is on and what he is capable of.

Police already have a dangerous enough job, and if they can mitigate the risk to themselves by incapacitating a person by means that are almost always non-lethal than they should do just that. They want to go home to their families just like the kid that didn't want to spend the night in jail. Sucks to be the kid, but its his own fault.

And to Bignugget's comment

Regardless of whether or not he was creating art he did not have permission to tag that building. Where I live there are plenty of businesses that invite graffiti artists to tag their buildings and add some color to the area. I'm sure it is the same all over, you just have to look for it. Regardless of whether or not this building was abandoned, and whether or not he was creating the next Mona Lisa he was wrong, and committing a crime. Someone else's property is not your canvas.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

rushmc

Now this is subjective

My post was sarcastic and was replying to the vandalism comment. Bignugget thinks it is ok to do this in certain situations therefore he has declared himself the decider
No comment to his death at all

Umm....pretty sure I called it a crime, and pretty sure I said if I had to vote on a scale of crime to observe, tagging being the worst of it would be OK with me.

You should really do fewer drugs.

Go back and re-read my original post. Think about it for awhile.

Then re-read it again, sound out the words. Think about it for another little bit.

THEN write a response. Proofread the response since a lot of times your stuff is so convoluted it is hard to follow.

GQ_jumper

And to Bignugget's comment

Regardless of whether or not he was creating art he did not have permission to tag that building. Where I live there are plenty of businesses that invite graffiti artists to tag their buildings and add some color to the area. I'm sure it is the same all over, you just have to look for it. Regardless of whether or not this building was abandoned, and whether or not he was creating the next Mona Lisa he was wrong, and committing a crime. Someone else's property is not your canvas.

Huh?

"Graffiti artists do some wicked ass stuff. Tagging an abandoned out of business spot...eh whats he hurting? Driving the property value of some abandoned shit down? I can handle that as the worst of the crimes we are dealing with. "

Where did I talk about creating art making it ok to commit crime?

I thought I pointed out that someone tagging a building isn't the worst thing that can happen in 2013, and that if our biggest problem is some kid spray painting abandoned shit, that would be a PRETTY COOL WORLD to me.

You should really do fewer drugs.

Go back and re-read my original post. Think about it for awhile.

Then re-read it again, sound out the words. Think about it for another little bit.

THEN write a response. Proofread the response since a lot of times your stuff is so convoluted it is hard to follow.

If you are going to contribute nothing to this discussion apart from making personal attacks and digressing from the topic to bring your personal issues with other posters and interject them into this thread please leave. Posting behavior like that is unwelcome and honestly pretty pathetic. If you don't have a point to make then don't try and make one please.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower