jclalor

When Prayer fails to work

quade

Placebo effect . . . sure, but it ain't gonna regrow a limb or anything actually serious.

How do you know? Have you personally looked at every case throughout history? Of course not. While it may not be likely that such a thing will occur, it doesn't mean it will never or has never.

Besides, I can't really think of one religion out there where God/gods are more concerned about a lost limb than some intrinsic factor with people. Only the shallow think prayer is suppose to be a smorgas board of wish fulfillment.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

I guess they never heard of the Christian Medical Association. Sad misguided people.

For me, prayer is to attain direction, strength and comfort through God's grace both in the good times and the bad.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

How do you know? Have you personally looked at every case throughout history? Of course not. While it may not be likely that such a thing will occur, it doesn't mean it will never or has never.

While you may think you're making an important logical point, the main effect of this line of argument is to make you sound a little bit crazy. I'd back away from it and focus on your second point if I were you.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

devildog

Why do you assume God does and why do you have to cling to lazy one liners ripped off someone else?

Well, yes, you got me there. I generally write my own material. I wish I knew who first said it, but it's a truism and I don't think anyone is claiming it for the purposes of attribution.

Other than that . . .

Lazy? Um, prove to me it's untrue first.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

champu

***Like anything else, when used properly it has great benefits. When used improperly it can cause harm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

No great surprise here. Spiritual reality only becomes beneficial in the minds of those who have grasped its value. The test of Spiritual Truth is manifested by the actions it inspires. In my life, prayer has been a massive force.

Prayer In The Father’s Hearing

Father, I thank Thee that Thou hast heard Me. — John 11:41

When the Son of God prays, He has only one consciousness, and that consciousness is of His Father. God always hears the prayers of His Son, and if the Son of God is formed in me the Father will always hear my prayers. I have to see that the Son of God is manifested in my mortal flesh. "Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost," i.e., the Bethlehem of the Son of God. Is the Son of God getting His chance in me? Is the direct simplicity of the life of God’s Son being worked out exactly as it was worked out in His historic life? When I come in contact with the occurrences of life as an ordinary human being, is the prayer of God’s Eternal Son to His Father being prayed in me? "In that day ye shall ask in My name. . . ." What day? The day when the Holy Ghost has come to me and made me effectually one with my Lord.

Is the Lord Jesus Christ being abundantly satisfied in your life or have you got a spiritual strut on? Never let common sense obtrude and push the Son of God on one side. Common sense is a gift which God gave to human nature; but common sense is not the gift of His Son. Supernatural sense is the gift of His Son; never enthrone common sense. The Son detects the Father; common sense never yet detected the Father and never will. Our ordinary wits never worship God unless they are transfigured by the indwelling Son of God. We have to see that this mortal flesh is kept in perfect subjection to Him and that He works through it moment by moment. Are we living in such human dependence upon Jesus Christ that His life is being manifested moment by moment?

~Oswald Chambers: My Utmost for His Highest
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jclalor

Do to have a higher desire to believe or know the truth?

Yes and I am on that path. As such, the intellect is subservient to the spiritual.