419gotaminute

TBAC charges man for buying woman several drinks

From the article...

Now, new charges have been filed in Montgomery County against the man who bought her several drinks that night.

"Throughout the investigation, we were never able to identify him. No one would ever tell me who he was. We learned who he was through this trial," said Scar Williams with the TABC said.

"We're going to try something a little different here I believe," Williams said...

"We have a pretty good idea where he's at right now, but until we have him in custody and have a chance to talk and interview with him, I don't know exactly right now. But that night, he appeared to be a customer at the bar," Williams said.

"Hey we heard your name come up in a court case where someone was convicted over two peoples' deaths and, while it's probably a little goofy, we kinda want to try throwing some charges your way as well. Wanna help us build a case against you?"

I am certainly not a legal expert but I'd think the bartender/server would be held accountable first. The TBAC is instead ignoring that this lady was over served by what is considered a professional of the industry in favor of charging this guy.
A. he is not a trained prof. who can identify who is drunk
B. he did not make her drink said beverages
C. he did not make her get in her car and drive drunk

Say a group of 5 friends go to the bar and each buy a round of beers. Is everyone now liable for the actions of the other four for the rest of the night? What happened to personal responsibility!?! Screw buying drinks for others in Texas..:|

419gotaminute

I am certainly not a legal expert but I'd think the bartender/server would be held accountable first. The TBAC is instead ignoring that this lady was over served by what is considered a professional of the industry in favor of charging this guy.
A. he is not a trained prof. who can identify who is drunk
B. he did not make her drink said beverages
C. he did not make her get in her car and drive drunk

Say a group of 5 friends go to the bar and each buy a round of beers. Is everyone now liable for the actions of the other four for the rest of the night? What happened to personal responsibility!?! Screw buying drinks for others in Texas..:|

Depending on the state you are in "social host liability" is already a reality for many people who would host a party in their own home. It does not necessarily require that the host be the one that bought the alcohol either. A little different circumstances than this but a similar idea.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Right on!!

A couple other good ones to add...

"Hi, how are you, I'm Agent Wannabe with the United Stasi of America Gesta......"
"Why are you talking to me? Did I call you? Did I summon you or the presence of your organization? Did I request you to fulfill your oath to 'protect' OR 'serve'? Under what authority are you acting? Who appointed such authority to you? If you're not charging me with a crime, am I free to go? And, yes, if you're charging me with a crime you can arrest me understanding I choose to remain silent under the protection of the 5th amendment until my attorney is present. I will not answer any of your questions and anything you ask from this point forward will be construed as harassment and prosecuted as such. Do not fvck with me, Policy Enforcer."

"It kind of falls in the same category as when an adult buys juveniles alcohol illegally. Some version of that situation may apply here," Ray said.

Umm.. not even remotely. Buying minors drinks is illegal. Buying an adult is perfectly legal. Adults are allowed to drink. An adult is responsible for their own behaviour when drunk. She got 38 years for her own choice to drink and drive, a choice which killed two people. I think that is where it should end. Unless the guy was holding a gun to her head and forcing her to drink them, he should be left out of it.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Hypothetical: The reason they did not go after the bartender was that not only was he buying the drinks, but getting them from the bar too. Their thinking is he was getting her drunk to sleep with her and after she turned him down or they had sex at the bar, he told her to go home.

That said, still feel that this course of action is highly insulting and denigrating to women.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.