regulator

Its a good thing people dont go apeshit crazy in california

On average 40,000 people are killed in automotive accidents each year in the US.
Cars are also very effective at killing cats,dogs,deer,couger,skunks,ponies, and probably dancing liberal rainbow unicorns as well.
2 tons moving at just 40 MPH has a lot of killing potential and there are a lot of cases of joy riding car thieves killing pedestrians for fun.

Yes...my god what was I thinking? You're absolutely right, that means guns and cars ARE, in fact, one in the same.

Holy fuck!

Now, tell me again about gun licenses and registration.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

toolbox

On average 40,000 people are killed in automotive accidents each year in the US.
Cars are also very effective at killing cats,dogs,deer,couger,skunks,ponies, and probably dancing liberal rainbow unicorns as well.
2 tons moving at just 40 MPH has a lot of killing potential and there are a lot of cases of joy riding car thieves killing pedestrians for fun.

Comparing cars and firearms directly as weapons or causes of death is silly and non-productive. Parallels between the types of regulations of each that are more vs. less effective, more vs. less realizable, and more vs. less well-meaning can be drawn, but very few people who post to these forums are able or willing to keep track of what a given parallel represents in the other instance. So I've given up on that front, it's not interesting anymore.

"So what you're saying is the car the guy was in was the gun safe, and his transmission was the assault weapon, and his doors weren't locked so you just want mentally ill kids to be able to buy thousands of gallons of gasoline online with no id or just go to an auto show after failing a panel of breathalyzers... You're such a conservial-libercon Hitler-Gandhi!"

The point is that blaming any inanimate object for hurting,or killing someone, is retarded.
The person operating the car,the gun,the high performance canopy,the jumbo jet,the pressure cooker,are solely responsible for any harm to themselves or to others.
People will always find ways to hurt or kill themselves, or others.

"Why yes, your honor, I contend that my client is actually a HERO. He saved countless lives by going on his nutter car driving killling spree. He could have used a (gasp, dramatic pause) gun and killed twice as many. Thus, he actually a hero for saving the difference."

"In fact, vote for me for Senator, and I'll create a Cars for Guns program to exchange life saving cars for evil sentient guns. This will be restricted to homicidal insane people, and, of course, the handicapped and the poor"

"To further save lives, in my second term as your Democratic Congressman, we'll be passing a new law requiring hybrid cars to be equipped with cow catchers instead of front bumpers - thus, cow catchers are 'free' "

"Sure, Katie, I applied in the street and actually got THREE Obama-cars. I know we're restricted to one, but if you sign up with different reps, they rarely check if you already have one. I drove down 12 sidewalks yesterday. And, by my estimates, must have saved nearly 40 pedestrians due to using my car instead of an evil gun"

"In my third term as governor, I promise to institute a new "Knives and Pointy Sticks for Cars and Guns Program - for the children"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No one seems to get too worked up when they need to get a background check, show they know how to operate one, and show they will be financially responsible before being licensed at the DMV to own and operate a car.

That's because you don't have a background check run on you to buy a car....

That's because you don't need to show you know how to operate one.... I could drive at 10 years old on the farm all day long.

You don't need to show you are financially responsible in most States. And even then, the insurance actually exists.

Guess what? To get a CHL/CWP you DO have to have a background check, and you DO have to take a test. That would be like driving a car on the street.

And how frequently do you have to repeat those tests for the CCW?

I last demonstrated an ability to drive when I was 16. I last took a written test in 1995 when I added the motorcycle endorsement. My last two renewals required that I merely signed a check.

When buying 3 cars and 3 motorcycles, I never had to demonstrate any sort of skill. And despite requirements that I need insurance to maintain registration, I didn't have to furnish it to drive off the lot. It was actually a problem with my first car - the dealership assured me that my motorcycle insurance would cover it for the time period until I could contact them during business hours. It most certainly did not. Fortunately, nothing happened that weekend.

meanwhile, my good for life "Basic Firearms Safety Certificate" got replaced by a good for only 5 years "Handgun Safety Certificate."

It's funny when people keep trying to suggest that car ownership involves more regulatory effort than gun ownership.

kelpdiver

I last demonstrated an ability to drive when I was 16. I last took a written test in 1995 when I added the motorcycle endorsement. My last two renewals required that I merely signed a check.

When buying 3 cars and 3 motorcycles, I never had to demonstrate any sort of skill. And despite requirements that I need insurance to maintain registration, I didn't have to furnish it to drive off the lot. It was actually a problem with my first car - the dealership assured me that my motorcycle insurance would cover it for the time period until I could contact them during business hours. It most certainly did not. Fortunately, nothing happened that weekend.

meanwhile, my good for life "Basic Firearms Safety Certificate" got replaced by a good for only 5 years "Handgun Safety Certificate."

It's funny when people keep trying to suggest that car ownership involves more regulatory effort than gun ownership.

I don't know why you replied to me.... Can you clarify? It seems like we are arguing the same side here.

Sorry, the way it was quoted looked strange.

How often do I have to qualify for a CHL? That depends on the State. The State I currently live in I have to qualify every 5 years for a CHL and every 7 years for my DL.

One State I lived in it was 7 for both.

One State I lived in didn't allow CHL at all.....

So it varies by State.

But to really compare them is foolish..... Mainly because people don't want to compare the same parts.

To drive on the street would be equal to being able to carry a gun in public.

But to just OWN one would be like being a car collector where no registration or insurance is required.