Darius11

Why is it acknowledging scientific facts, and Natural differences makes you racist, or sexist?

Now we also know that men and woman have different wiring in their heads, they have different brains. That means Woman are better at some things and worst at something when it comes to mental capability same for men.

Do you have references for this? I'm fairly knowledgeable in this area and I don't think that's an accurate interpretation of the research findings.

What you describe is the exception, not the rule.

And in our individual-valuing society in the US, basing judgments on the individual (including exceptions) is better than making assumptions based on gender, race, etc.

If you assume that women all like to be mommies and cook, then you'd miss a whole lot of good stuff, including daddies who like to cook, and women who work construction. Or skydive :)
Take possibly-inherited stuff along with the individual stuff.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

sandi

Now we also know that men and woman have different wiring in their heads, they have different brains. That means Woman are better at some things and worst at something when it comes to mental capability same for men.

Do you have references for this? I'm fairly knowledgeable in this area and I don't think that's an accurate interpretation of the research findings.

Says who???? You and your educated out-of-touch-elite? :P

Remster

Remster

Says who???? You and your educated out-of-touch-elite? :P

:D:D:D
I guess that is a fairly good start on knowing what she is talking about!
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

billvon

>Here. Take your pick. You can find people supporting the claim. People refuting it.
>And everyone in between.

Geez! Turn your backup beeper on before you back up that fast. You could run someone over!

:D:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Apparently CNN did a story yesterday about the female head of the NTSB, probably because of the SFO crash. Instead of profiling her professional accomplishments, they did a fluff piece about how she likes to do tough mudder runs and scrapbooking. They focused on how she deals with being an on-the-go woman with three kids at home, and how she prepares meals for them to eat when she's on the road. Nothing about her professional life, her experience, how she got the job, etc. Can you imagine them doing the same story if she were a man?

I didn't see the story, but my wife was fuming mad over it, so I got the full run down. Of course, my wife's just a silly girl, so I can only assume her anger was related to PMS or something.

- Dan G

DanG

Apparently CNN did a story yesterday about the female head of the NTSB, probably because of the SFO crash. Instead of profiling her professional accomplishments, they did a fluff piece about how she likes to do tough mudder runs and scrapbooking. They focused on how she deals with being an on-the-go woman with three kids at home, and how she prepares meals for them to eat when she's on the road. Nothing about her professional life, her experience, how she got the job, etc. Can you imagine them doing the same story if she were a man?

I didn't see the story, but my wife was fuming mad over it, so I got the full run down. Of course, my wife's just a silly girl, so I can only assume her anger was related to PMS or something.

:o LOL!! :P

wmw999

And in our individual-valuing society in the US, basing judgments on the individual (including exceptions) is better than making assumptions based on gender, race, etc.

It's 'supposed' to be individualistic, but it sure seems like people love to put out blanket generalizations......

It might seem like more work, and people just seem to be unable to do it. But it really is easier, and gets real results and understanding if you just take people one at a time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***And in our individual-valuing society in the US, basing judgments on the individual (including exceptions) is better than making assumptions based on gender, race, etc.

It's 'supposed' to be individualistic, but it sure seems like people love to put out blanket generalizations......

It might seem like more work, and people just seem to be unable to do it. But it really is easier, and gets real results and understanding if you just take people one at a time.
Bang on. Once you let go of the notion of simple, and embrace the incredible, wonderful idea that the world and everyone in it are fantastically complex, things really begin to open up.

How's the faculty position working out? Hope you're having fun with it.

Don

GeorgiaDon

How's the faculty position working out? Hope you're having fun with it.

Don

I haven't started yet, I'm finishing up my post-doc and moving on the 23rd. Then the fun begins, prepping to teach new courses and getting my lab set up. I can't wait to start ordering equipment and putting my lab together, it's currently a big empty space. :)

wmw999

What you describe is the exception, not the rule.

If you assume that women all like to be mommies and cook, then you'd miss a whole lot of good stuff, including daddies who like to cook, and women who work construction. Or skydive :)
Take possibly-inherited stuff along with the individual stuff.

Wendy P.

There are OBVIOUS limitations because of gender, with some exceptions..
You cannot deny that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

OBVIOUS limitations because of gender, with some exceptions..

I believe the existence of those exceptions is the reason for needing to evaluate individually.

I know my ex-husband said that men don't have the bones in their wrists that are required to sweep the floor :)

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

OBVIOUS limitations because of gender, with some exceptions..

I believe the existence of those exceptions is the reason for needing to evaluate individually.

I know my ex-husband said that men don't have the bones in their wrists that are required to sweep the floor :)

Wendy P.

It's true.

Also, that is why they usually have smaller feet, so they can stand closer to the sunk as they do dishes. Evolution is good.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have read many articals over the years but here is alink to Webmd after a very short google search.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/how-male-female-brains-differ

What I have read, is that men are better at focused tasks, and analytical problems, While woman have better memory, and are much better at multitasking then men. Also the size of the brain is different.
There is more to that and those mentioned above can lead to many other areas, but I think you get my point. I have never read an article or scientific research that has stated that men and woman’s brains are the same have you????
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Darius11

I have read many articals over the years but here is alink to Webmd after a very short google search.

Well, of course there are various physiological differences between males and females. Now find me a WebMD article that explains why the 7-Elevens are all owned by Indians.

Remster

***I have read many articals over the years but here is alink to Webmd after a very short google search.

[Grabs popcorn]

Can i get a bucket???

Well I am surprised that a future PHD wouldn’t know that there are differences in the brain depending on the sex. Or that everything i have ever read by other PHDs is wrong.

Real butter only please.:)

Well, of course there are various physiological differences between males and females.

Well then of course there must be somethings males are better at then femals and somethings that females better at then males.

Thats kind of my point.:)

Now find me a WebMD article that explains why the 7-Elevens are all owned by Indians.

Fuck man they got everyone out here and gas stations too. Must be the curry.............:|;)