DroptheMan04

Chewing gum during skydiving?

yes, you can chew gum in freefall. At some DZ's they ask the tandem student to not chew gum in case they could choke, spit it in the tandem instructors hair, or spit it on the floor of the aircraft, but solo skydivers often chew gum (or other substances) in freefall and under canopy.
One guy I know chews tobacco and during an RW jump he got knocked enough that his mouth opened. He had really interesting brown streaks up his face and over his goggles.:D

I know people who do it with freeflying so that they are somewhat focused on that and fly more relaxed as they are not thinking as much abotu what they are doing , just doing it

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I chew gum the whole time. Although I know I chew it in the plane and after deployment I'm aware I'm chewing again but I have no idea what I do during freefall. Guess I'm too busy trying to fly right to pay attention, but find out sometime though!!

I chew gum all the time, and to keep from choking, I spit it out at the videographer in freefall. :P

I've never let a tandem student chew gum, though, because I couldn't figure out how I was going to give them the Heimlich in freefall. :$
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

I've been chewing gum since T1. Since I'm new, and still often clenched (teeth too!) the gum doesn't move. Also, as i learned in flight school, it does help with equalizing pressure on the way to altitude.
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

I drive a stick so I have to spit it out before the trip home B|.
On a slightly more serious note it students are discouraged from using gum in the aircraft because they may elect to stick it on the floor before exit and it makes a real mess of a jumpsuit, rig etc. I guess doing the heimlich in freefall may be tricky also.

Foggy

As a rule for students, NO!
The one and only student fatality we have had was a first jump Static line student, she was told to spit it out,and did.After the meat wagon left and upon interview with her kids we learned from them she got a second stick gum, despite being told not to. She choked on it after letting go of the AC and died.

So our policy is and has always been, NO!
Once you have an "A" you can do as you please as long as you follow the BSR's & FAR's.

SWC
www.skydiverichmond.com

`
"If you see me pull my main, pull your reserve!" - Scotty Carbone

Not that I do it on purpose, but on the way to altitude I find my self chewing gum, so just before green light comes on I tightly stuff it to one side of my mouth.

I´ll probably keep doing it, but I in no way recomend having anything in your mouth while falling,,,,,, maybe rare, but someone can choke, and thats NO JOKE!!B|

------ LIFT ME UP!! ------