ibx

Former NSA contractor Snowden leaves Hong Kong for Moscow

FastRodriguez

Why would he be safer in Russia?

He could go to Cuba and sleep wth Mulatas until he is spent. Everyone knows what happened last time the CIA tried to invade Cuba.

I believe the Russians have been in the spying and in security business long before the Cubans. Russia is not the closed society it once was, but just look how vast it is; lots of places to hide. Once again, he may not be able to handle the climate (or any solitude). Our boy may have to be in the spotlight, but then he becomes a liability
One of those "Mulatas" would turn on Snowden for a corn dog and a pair of real Levis. Many a "good" spy or "good" bank robber has been brought down by "romantic pursuits".

No doubt there are thousands of contractors on the CIA's payroll around the world watching their backs tonight and hoping Snowden gets outed. Guys like Snowden have to be pretty mercenary and full of hatred to turn over names. The man is a traitor.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

lawrocket

***And you don't think that is part of the game being played by the Administration?

Absolutely. The attention on Snowden means less - or zero - attention on the Admin. That makes sound politics. "What we're doing is not the issue. The issue is the snitch."

The Russians and Chinese are certainly giving the finger to the Admin. Kerry looks like a boob. The President looks incompetent. I'm not liking this one bit... No chance, the "Admin." still has a schedule to meet: climate change, death of the coal companies, and the loss of thousands of jobs related to the coal companies. It's like leaving D.C. to go campaigning the day after the Benghazi attack. It's his schedule, you know.

Kallend, never said they don't overstep but they usually get burned when they do, more so than you might think. That being said, they have become masters of establishing gray areas and technicalities to worm their way around.

Agreed that terrorism is the buzzword of the last 20 years.

FastRod- I think it's ok in the constraints that it was being used. Scanning data for key words and phrase and mapping threat networks to thwart future attacks (50 supposed attacks thwarted ain't to shabby) ...I'm ok with that. People went off the handle because they were more concerned with the idea of someone discovering their dirty little secrets than they were about the violation of their constitutional rights. What made me laugh were the people upset about Fb (worlds largest social media website) being data mined even though status are public anyway. The people that understood that it was a possible violation of their constitutional rights still are not overly familiar with the FBI and NSA authorization to collect on its own citizens authorized by US title codes and the abominable Patriot act. It's a bitch but until the Supreme Court overturns either one as unconstitutional, then guess what...doesn't matter if you agree with or not.

Using it to suppress political opposition or the 1st amendment would be completely out of line. The IRS profiling the Organizations that they chose is more infuriating to me than nSA data mining.

Lets pretend someone writes the following message to his roommate on facebook

" Dude!!
Last night was the BOMB!!! Im having a KILLER time in NY. Went to this club and the DJ was DROPPING the sickest tunes. I meet these girls and BLOWED all my money on vodka bottles and redbull cans.
Do me a favor. There is some cash on a envelope on the second drawer of my desk. Would you grab it and deposit it into this account at my bank? 1234567891011.."
Because of the "key words" this poor bastard would probably be flagged and would have all of his private mails, messages or whatever scanned, read and stored.
Im sorry, but its not fair or acceptable.
Dont you think its fucked up that people´s privacy all over the world is on jepardy while they await on a resolution by the AMERICAN supreme court?
Again, I dont care what excuse your government thinks they have. They can´t just act like a bully and shield they disgusting behaviour behind the "terrorist threat"
I repeat, if they are so interested in fighting terrorism dont fucking arm and finance sirian rebels, or taliban, or whoever freedom fighters your government decides to support this week.
I dont believe they have thwarted jack diddly squat by reading on people´s facebook accounts, sms´s or emails.
You´d have to be a pretty dumb "terrorist" to plot a "terror attack" on us soil by email or whatsapp.
If "terrorists" are able to learn to fly, hijack a bunch of planes, fly them low and fast towards a bulding, kill a couple of thousand people and hide the "resposible man" for over ten years on a cave somewhere, Im sure they can arrange a way of communication non dependant on internet.
IRS is an american organization controling american people´s taxes. You have the government and system you guys choose. I couldnt care less for what they do inside america. That is your guys problem just like spanish corruption is our problem.
"I don´t stop when I am tired. I stop when I am done"

Last night was the BOMB!!! Im having a KILLER time in NY. Went to this club and the DJ was DROPPING the sickest tunes. I meet these girls and BLOWED all my money on vodka bottles and redbull cans.
Do me a favor. There is some cash on a envelope on the second drawer of my desk. Would you grab it and deposit it into this account at my bank? 1234567891011.."

Excellent example. Gets flagged because of key words which are checked out by an analyst that runs it agains known code words and does what they get paid to do. Concludes that some dude had a great night in NY and discards the Information.

There is a huge debate over what the US is doing about the Syrian rebels for numerious reasons which in my opinion should be nothing. I think its disgusting that the governemtn feels the need to support them because of the rather old school notion of giving democracy a fighting chance. The main issue I have with this is that the Syrian rebels are working along side foregin fighters and Al Queda affiliated groups (Part of the reason Hezbollah decided to join the fight and prevent influence in the region). In essence, the US gov is funding the rebels that has affiliatins with a designated terrorist group that we've been fighitng for the last 12 years O_o WTF. Unfortunately, short of petitioning my congressman and senator as a concerned constituient I can't do much else to affect US Policy makers.

People's privacy in other parts of the world awaiting on a resolution by American supreme court...I could care less about your privacy. You don't have American constitutional rights (4th & 5th Amendments) so I don't care if the NSA or CIA is collecting your informations....that's their purpose. Sorry.

I dont believe they have thwarted jack diddly squat by reading on people´s facebook accounts, sms´s or emails.
You´d have to be a pretty dumb "terrorist" to plot a "terror attack" on us soil by email or whatsapp.
If "terrorists" are able to learn to fly, hijack a bunch of planes, fly them low and fast towards a bulding, kill a couple of thousand people and hide the "resposible man" for over ten years on a cave somewhere, Im sure they can arrange a way of communication non dependant on internet.

Unfortunately they are that dumb. Simply because international communitcation is made quick and easy by the internet. I'm not a computer scientist but I know there are plenty of 'hidden' websites and communication platforms that are not simple to find that allow for communication. How do you think these radicals are getting into contact with some of these groups initially before making trips to recieve training and instructions. Do some research and you will find a lot of these people are disconcerted individuals put in contact with extremist for this group or that via internet or online forums and then make trips to meet. Following indoctrination they return later, hang out for a while, then try to carry out whatever it is they have planned. Numerous examples of this.

Hiding the responsible man: the NSA was able to track Bin laden via a satellite phone until about 2003 (thats how they knew he was at Tora Bora) until a Snowden like individual notified OBL that he was being tracked and he went dark which led to an 8 year man hunt. Took a little longer to find him but not impossible because we know how that one ended.

Dont get me wrong FastRod, I agree that individual privacy is a priority and should be respected. If they cops were knocking on my door and interupting my daily life just to look around I'd be upset and voicing outrage. The occassional scan of my files which A)Doesn't suppress my right to voice disagreement with the gov B) Doesnt influence my day to day life C) Allows officials to detect threats against other citiizens...I'm not going to lose sleep over that. Just my .02

We can keep going round and round on the opinion of whats ok and whats not but we will continue to make examples and disagree. In the meantime the intel agencies will keep doing what they do, national policy makers will continue to be idiots, and life will go on without too much of a noticible day to day change.

Ryoder...wrong thread I think. I only checked out the headline so I could be wrong.

One final point. Bill of rights protects against OBJECTIVELY unreasonable searches not SUBJECTIVE unreasonable searches. The objective bar and precedence was set pretty high following the passing of the Patriot act when everyone was riding the wave of 'Merica righteousness. Also Exec order 12333 which was laid down by Reagan in 81 as a reult of Watergate which are PERMISSIVE laws regarding intelligence gathering versus RESTRICTIVE. My point in all this is it doesnt matter if you agree with it or not collection on people both citizens and non citizens are the US are legally able to be collected on as long as its done by the right agencies in respect to US title codes as long as their is a mission and a purpose.

ryoder

******... to become the most wanted man since bin Laden ...

I doubt this guy is even considered drone-worthy.

He's full on media circus because of the embarrassment factor, but that's probably about it.

Due to the embarrassment he has caused the US govt, and to make an example out of him, I would not be a bit surprised if a clandestine operation was sent into Ecuador to extract him. I would be more surprised if it was *not* attempted. Now he says, "he only took the job to get state secrets". No doubt they are after him; unless Bill Clinton gives him a pardon:). http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Snowden-secrets-job-leak/2013/06/25/id/511720?s=al&promo_code=13F23-1

rickjump1

*********... to become the most wanted man since bin Laden ...

I doubt this guy is even considered drone-worthy.

He's full on media circus because of the embarrassment factor, but that's probably about it.

Due to the embarrassment he has caused the US govt, and to make an example out of him, I would not be a bit surprised if a clandestine operation was sent into Ecuador to extract him. I would be more surprised if it was *not* attempted. Now he says, "he only took the job to get state secrets". No doubt they are after him; unless Bill Clinton gives him a pardon:). http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Snowden-secrets-job-leak/2013/06/25/id/511720?s=al&promo_code=13F23-1

Suuuurrrrrre. He only took the job to get the secrets. Then why, four or five years ago, did he say he thought leakers and data thieves should be shot?

In 2009, Ed Snowden said leakers “should be shot.” Then he became one
In Internet chat, Snowden opined on travel, short-selling—and national security

Ed Snowden was 23 years old when he moved to Geneva in 2007. Soon after arriving, he was looking for a taste of home.

It wasn't that he was unhappy. Snowden's life was becoming the adventure he'd been looking for. Moving to Switzerland hadn't been his first choice—his dream picks were in Asia and Australia—but it certainly wasn't bad. Hired by the CIA and granted a diplomatic cover, he was a regular old IT guy whose life was elevated by a hint of international intrigue.

Snowden would soon move into a four-bedroom apartment covered by the agency. He'd blow off parking tickets, citing diplomatic immunity. He'd travel the continent. He befriended an Estonian rock star ("the funniest part is he's a SUPER NERD"), raced motorcycles in Italy, took in the Muslim call to prayer from his Sarajevo hotel room, and formed opinions about the food and the women in Bosnia, in Romania, in Spain.

But as his first spring dawned in Switzerland, it must have felt cold, foreign, and expensive. Two days after his arrival in Switzerland, Snowden logged onto #arsificial, a channel on Ars Technica's public Internet Relay Chat (IRC) server. He'd been frequenting this space for a few months, chatting with whomever happened to be hanging out.
snip

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

More brave than smart but who knows, this game could play out any way. Too early to tell if you ask me.

The awareness that has come of it, is off the hook.

That was his mission and it seems from his words he is prepared to die for this.

Better than taking a bullet in the battle field for some pipeline or poppy field somewhere in the middle east, never to be seen again...

Ecuador
China
Russia
India
Poland
Austria His request is not valid, because applicants must be in Austria and submit their applications in person.
Iceland Officials have said asylum seekers need to be in Icelandic territory in order to apply.
Bolivia
Brazil
Cuba
Finland
France (appears to be leaning to the No)
Germany
India
Ireland
Italy
The Netherlands
Nicaragua
Norway The country confirms the receipt of his request, but usually, asylum seekers must be in the country already to be allowed to apply. The Ministry of Justice is considering whether or not to process his application.
Spain The country is not reviewing Snowden's request because it must be made from within or on its borders, a Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said.
Switzerland
Venezuela

He'll end up back in the states at some point in the future.
;)

Didn't see Iceland on that list... everyone forgets about Iceland.

They too were in the news every day beause of imminent default until they sacked their entire government and told the federal reserve to fuck off...

Then they became the 13th floor and one of the fastest growing economies in their region. Also a safe haven for whistle blowers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/06/09/icelandic-legislator-im-ready-to-help-nsa-whistleblower-seek-asylum/

Not saying that is where I think he is going, but it is one of the options. If you had the US government after your ass.. would you tell them where you are going, or would you try to make them think you are somewhere you are not?
Just saying.

that is not a tough call for me. i was vehemently opposed to manning's act of treason, and am siding with snowden on this one. the only way i can say i justify it is like this: manning actually held up his hand and swore an oath, i did the same thing, and to this day i will not break it. snowden signed a piece of paper, presumably with all sorts of false ideals judging from his latest actions.

history has shown that time after time the us govt has done things that they should not have done, from the beginning. have there been any indications they have stopped? snowden should have realized this before he took the job, but either way he was not obligated by an oath to keep such secrets. and he also used discretion in what he released, not trying to harm anyone, just trying to enlighten the american people.

in my eyes, when the govt is going against the constitution, my oath requires that i do something about it. i swore to protect and defent the constitution. not the govt, nor the contemptible(all of them) politicians.

Excellent example. Gets flagged because of key words which are checked out by an analyst that runs it agains known code words and does what they get paid to do. Concludes that some dude had a great night in NY and discards the Information.

Well the analysts don't always get it right;)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093796/Emily-Bunting-Leigh-Van-Bryan-UK-tourists-arrested-destroy-America-Twitter-jokes.html

Russia is getting impatient over Snowden loitering. They won't offer protection but won't extradite to the USA either.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE9630IV20130704?irpc=932

Iceland can't/won't offer asylum, but it's lawmakers are talking about possibly extending citizenship.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_ICELAND_NSA_SURVEILLANCE_SNOWDEN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-07-04-18-03-24

France and Germany's politicians are being huge hypocrites. DSGE and BND spy on their citizens residents and foreigners just like the CIA and NSA.
http://iphone.france24.com/en/20130704-french-intelligence-spying-emails-phonecalls-newspaper

Bolivian president is alleging US influence in diverting his flight (out of Moscow to La Paz) because of suspicions Snowden was on the plane.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/07/04/bolivian-president-us-imperialism-caused-flight-from-russia-to-be-diverted/
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Kennedy

Russia is getting impatient over Snowden loitering. They won't offer protection but won't extradite to the USA either.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE9630IV20130704?irpc=932

Iceland can't/won't offer asylum, but it's lawmakers are talking about possibly extending citizenship.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_ICELAND_NSA_SURVEILLANCE_SNOWDEN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-07-04-18-03-24

France and Germany's politicians are being huge hypocrites. DSGE and BND spy on their citizens residents and foreigners just like the CIA and NSA.
http://iphone.france24.com/en/20130704-french-intelligence-spying-emails-phonecalls-newspaper

Bolivian president is alleging US influence in diverting his flight (out of Moscow to La Paz) because of suspicions Snowden was on the plane.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/07/04/bolivian-president-us-imperialism-caused-flight-from-russia-to-be-diverted/

Why do you say that France and Germany are hypocrites, they have declined Snowden's application for asylum. It seems like a bizarre move by Iceland seeing as they are still on the ropes financially I'd have thought that pissing off the USA would not be in their national interest. I think that his current situation shows that Snowden really didn't think this through at all and he is beginning to strike me as one of those guys who is great at IT but pretty much a idiot when it comes to the rest of life.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca