Jalien

Skydiving and climate change - hypocrisy?

Well, I was hoping that this wouldn't simply descend into arguments about the existence or otherwise of climate change, and its causes... but I think there are some useful points made.

My conclusion is that no-one's really convinced me otherwise that I'm a hypocrite for being environmentally-minded and a skydiver. There's some justification in the "carbon budgeting" approach - i.e. reducing fuel use elsewhere, so you can keep skydiving.

I think I'm going to have to minimise my skydiving in order to salve my conscience... just as soon as I get my C licence... and my wingsuit first flight... Oh dear, hypocrisy seems like my natural clothing :S

I think I'm going to have to minimise my skydiving in order to salve my conscience... just as soon as I get my C licence... and my wingsuit first flight... Oh dear, hypocrisy seems like my natural clothing

Welcome to the human race :D It wouldn't be as much fun if we were perfect.

I figure if I do what I can easily, and up it a notch until that's easy, and then keep going from there, it's the right direction. If you start re-using your shoelaces as replacement pull-up cords it'll help too :ph34r:

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

StreetScooby

...that you are responsible for burning one gallon per jump. Googling suggests that this is equivalent to ~20 pounds of CO2.

A gallon of gas is ~20 pounds of CO2? How much does a gallon of gas weight? Uhm, I've never been impressed with green math skills, and there is a reason for that.

And I'm not impressed with your chemistry skills.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

wolfriverjoe

...that you are responsible for burning one gallon per jump. Googling suggests that this is equivalent to ~20 pounds of CO2.

A gallon of gas is ~20 pounds of CO2? How much does a gallon of gas weight? Uhm, I've never been impressed with green math skills, and there is a reason for that.

Apparently so. I bounced a few numbers around in my head (Gas goes ~ 6lbs/gal. Carbon has atomic weight of 14, Oxygen is 6, Hydrogen is 2. Hydrocarbons are usually 2 H for each C) and kept coming up lower.

Ummm NO.

C = 12
H = 1
O = 16
CO2 = 44 (rounding to nearest integers)

lawrocket

[Reply]200 gallons isn't really much for a year of jumping.

3 million skydives per year times 20 pound is 60 million pounds per year in the US.

Peanuts in the greater scheme of things.

rushmc's utility company admits to putting out over 30 million TONS.

>That high? Wow. Where are you getting this from?

Primarily papers on exhaust gas analysis. In traditional well-tuned recip engines you see significant fractions (a few percent) of HC, CO and NOx. HC is unburned fuel which contributes to pollution but not CO2 production. NOx are nitrogen oxides that contribute to smog - but again not to CO2 production, since they contain no carbon to begin with. The exhaust of a car with a three-way converter is almost pure water and CO2. The remaining amounts of CO, NOx etc are measured in parts per million.

However, as TP mentioned above, that's for a 206 (recip engine.) For a 208 (turbine engine) there's a lot more unburned HC. When you see a jet taking off trailing smoke, that's soot, which is partially burned carbon. Turbines use significantly less of the available fuel than recips since their combustion is much less controlled. Turbines aren't used in aviation because they are efficient, they're used because they are smaller, lighter, more reliable etc.