rushmc

NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily

You have to be kidding, right. I met many of the Gulf War Warriors in 1991. As far as I was concerned we were just finished the job started then.

Wait, so now it's not retaliation, it's finishing the job? Get your narrative straight.

Or could it be that, like many if not most Americans, you can't tell the difference between Al Qaeda, Iraqis, Afghans, and other scary baddies?

- Dan G

DanG

That is one analytical opinion. The fact remains that many, many people at all levels of society and international government trusted him and followed him. President Clinton was/is a leader.

GWB controls by coercion and deception. He has turned distrust into an art form. People at all levels fear him for his acquired power. I was raised to believe those people are called tyrants.

During Bush's Presidency, there were people here posting almost verbatim what you just wrote, except they changed the names to the above.

I'm not saying I agree with you or posters of the past, but your dislike of Obama doesn't make him evil and more than other poster's dislike of GWB made him evil.

Note carefully the date on this article:

usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-12-18-nsa-70s_x.htm

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DanG

You have to be kidding, right. I met many of the Gulf War Warriors in 1991. As far as I was concerned we were just finished the job started then.

Wait, so now it's not retaliation, it's finishing the job? Get your narrative straight.

Or could it be that, like many if not most Americans, you can't tell the difference between Al Qaeda, Iraqis, Afghans, and other scary baddies?

I couldn't in 1991-2011 or thereabouts. I did not start noticing a difference until I started paying attention to Skyrad in the SC.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

OK, they are just storing meta-data...oh, unless you are on their "target list", then they also record the call. All w/o any warrant: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57589495-38/nsa-admits-listening-to-u.s-phone-calls-without-warrants/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

quade

***Collecting anonymous metadata is NOT surveillance!

Still think it's cool?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57589495-38/nsa-admits-listening-to-u.s-phone-calls-without-warrants/

I never thought it was cool. It's just appears to be legal, so any outrage should be directed to Congress and the people, not the administration.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

******Collecting anonymous metadata is NOT surveillance!

Still think it's cool?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57589495-38/nsa-admits-listening-to-u.s-phone-calls-without-warrants/

I never thought it was cool. It's just appears to be legal, so any outrage should be directed to Congress and the people, not the administration.

What has the Administration done about it to date? Isn't it the job of the AG to enforce the law?

I love how left wingers defend their King. When something is positive, they fall all over themselves proclaiming how great their King is. When something stinks, it's not his fault and he can't be expected to be in control of everything.

Where does that Buck stop?

Gravitymaster

Isn't it the job of the AG to enforce the law?

He appears to be doing just that. The problem seems to be that people don't like the law. That's completely understandable, but not the fault of the Executive Branch. That issue needs to be taken up with Congress. Otherwise, it's just unproductive whining.

jcd11235

***Isn't it the job of the AG to enforce the law?

He appears to be doing just that. The problem seems to be that people don't like the law. That's completely understandable, but not the fault of the Executive Branch. That issue needs to be taken up with Congress. Otherwise, it's just unproductive whining.

Well, we're making progress.

A few days ago you didn't think it was surveillance.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

******Isn't it the job of the AG to enforce the law?

Well, we're making progress.

A few days ago you didn't think it was surveillance.

Collecting metadata isn't. Collecting the actual data might be, and certainly is if it is analyzed, and not just warehoused.

To be clear, just because I don't fault the administration for using their power under the Patriot Act does not mean I support the Patriot Act. But the reality is that it is law.

This didn't start with the Patriot act. This predates 9-11-01 by many years.

Decades ago I saw an RFP for a supercomputer system that could play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with a nation's phone records.

What the fuck do you think the NSA and GCHQ does?

If THIS is what outrages you then you haven't been paying attention.

[Reply]o be clear, just because I don't fault the administration for using their power under the Patriot Act does not mean I support the Patriot Act. But the reality is that it is law.

A couple of problems:
(1) The administration isn't just using its power, it is really expanding the power. Given an inch and taking several feet. Think of czars and executive orders
(2) Anyone else surprised at the level of cooperation the President has received from from the "Party of No?" I'm not. The GOP likes that power over the people.
(3) It's a fine example of "legal" versus "constitutional."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

Thank you for that concept. I had not made that construction in prior thought processes.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I couldn't in 1991-2011 or thereabouts. I did not start noticing a difference until I started paying attention to Skyrad in the SC.

Ha! You fool.

lawrocket

[Reply]o be clear, just because I don't fault the administration for using their power under the Patriot Act does not mean I support the Patriot Act. But the reality is that it is law.

A couple of problems:
(1) The administration isn't just using its power, it is really expanding the power.

So what has the administration done that is illegal?

as stated previously, it's not the legality in question, constitutionality is. and as for precedence, this is what hoover did without the first computer, and it's still wrong. obama made lots of promises to get elected, and actually tried to live up to a few, but then reality set in, and it went just like cheney predicted in 2006.

sfzombie13

as stated previously, it's not the legality in question, constitutionality is. and as for precedence, this is what hoover did without the first computer, and it's still wrong. obama made lots of promises to get elected, and actually tried to live up to a few, but then reality set in, and it went just like cheney predicted in 2006.

So the anger should be directed at Congress then, for passing an unConstitutional law, or at the courts for not overturning it.

kallend

So the anger should be directed at Congress then, for passing an unConstitutional law, or at the courts for not overturning it.

Congress did not pass a law allowing it.
Here is an article about the convoluted legal reasoning used to justify it:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-surveillance-architecture-includes-collection-of-revealing-internet-phone-metadata/2013/06/15/e9bf004a-d511-11e2-b05f-3ea3f0e7bb5a_story.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

kallend

***[Reply]o be clear, just because I don't fault the administration for using their power under the Patriot Act does not mean I support the Patriot Act. But the reality is that it is law.

A couple of problems:
(1) The administration isn't just using its power, it is really expanding the power.

So what has the administration done that is illegal?

ryoder put this out:

OK, they are just storing meta-data...oh, unless you are on their "target list", then they also record the call. All w/o any warrant: http://news.cnet.com/...ls-without-warrants/

This appears to be pretty illegal.

We've only scratched the surface.

kallend

***as stated previously, it's not the legality in question, constitutionality is. and as for precedence, this is what hoover did without the first computer, and it's still wrong. obama made lots of promises to get elected, and actually tried to live up to a few, but then reality set in, and it went just like cheney predicted in 2006.

Right. Because this administration has a long track record of either accepting Congressional inaction or of ensuring that laws that are Unconstitutional are zealously defended. :S

lawrocket

A couple of problems:
(1) The administration isn't just using its power, it is really expanding the power. Given an inch and taking several feet. Think of czars and executive orders
(2) Anyone else surprised at the level of cooperation the President has received from from the "Party of No?" I'm not. The GOP likes that power over the people.

The president has to deal with issues for which the Patriot Act is the relevant law. It would not be reasonable to not expect the president to seek clarification from the Justice Department regarding what the actual limits of his authorities are in those situations. That's not an expansion of power. That's just understanding what powers Congress actually provided to the Executive, which may or may not be what Congresspersons actually intended when they voted on the law. What matters is not what Congress wishes they had passed, but what they actually passed.

lawrocket

******as stated previously, it's not the legality in question, constitutionality is. and as for precedence, this is what hoover did without the first computer, and it's still wrong. obama made lots of promises to get elected, and actually tried to live up to a few, but then reality set in, and it went just like cheney predicted in 2006.

Right. Because this administration has a long track record of either accepting Congressional inaction or of ensuring that laws that are Unconstitutional are zealously defended. :S

DOMA comes to mind.

Besides, which administrations haven't?

jcd11235

***A couple of problems:

The president has to deal with issues for which the Patriot Act is the relevant law. It would not be reasonable to not expect the president to seek clarification from the Justice Department regarding what the actual limits of his authorities are in those situations. That's not an expansion of power. That's just understanding what powers Congress actually provided to the Executive, which may or may not be what Congresspersons actually intended when they voted on the law. What matters is not what Congress wishes they had passed, but what they actually passed.

The Law of Unintended Consequences strike again.