NewGuy2005

Boy Suspended for Chewing Pop-Tart into the Shape of a Gun

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/8-year-old-suspended-over-gun-shaped-pop-tart-gets-lifetime-nra-membership-142034921.html

"The National Rifle Association has given an 8-year-old boy a free lifetime membership, the Baltimore Sun reports. His achievement was chewing a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun."

"Park Elementary told parents it would give counseling to any children who needed it after the Pop-Tart incident."

I'd be interested to find out what kind of kid he is. He could, in fact, be one of the classroom bullies, ya know. Either way, it sounds like over-reaction, on the part of both the teacher and hte NRA.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I'd be interested to find out what kind of kid he is. He could, in fact, be one of the classroom bullies, ya know. Either way, it sounds like over-reaction, on the part of both the teacher and hte NRA.

Wendy P.

There's no evidence he was a problem child. I'm not saying he wasn't, but no one says he was. If he was, susped him for the bad behavior, not for biting food into shapes!
google: joshua welch pop tart

ETA: exactly how did the NRA overreact?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

That's nothing. One kids was suspended for pointing his finger and saying bang. "Terroristic threats" or some nonsense.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

When I was a child and we played cowboys and indians, we used our hands, fingers, cap guns, sticks, pretty much anything and everything that one could imagine as a gun, we used as a play gun.

Damn, now I forgot WHY this is an issue????
:S:S:S

Really... a lifetime NRA membership; sigh.

He was trying to make a mountain... not a gun.

"It was already a rectangle and I just kept on biting it and biting it and tore off the top and it kinda looked like a gun but it wasn't," Welch told Baltimore Fox station WBFF. "All I was trying to do was turn it into a mountain but, it didn't look like a mountain really and it turned out to be a gun kinda."

Just thought we should document some of the incidents we're discussing.

Kindergartner suspended for bringing toy gun to school
HOPKINTON, Mass. — A 5-year-old Massachusetts boy was punished after bringing a toy plastic gun to school, according to a report on Boston.com.

Pa. girl, 5, back in class after suspension for bubble gun

MOUNT CARMEL, Pa. — A 5-year-old kindergartner is back in class in central Pennsylvania after being suspended for comments she made to another girl about a pink toy gun that blows soapy bubbles

Toy Gun Gets Kindergartner Into Trouble At Massachusetts School (VIDEO)
When a 6-year-old student brought the "LEGO sized" weapon with him to school on Friday, a concerned classmate reportedly told the bus driver. The student who brought the toy gun was then threatened with a detention, a bus ticket and a potential bus suspension, local ABC affiliate WGGB reported last week.

Everyone please add more links as you find them. This idiocy is rampant.
witty subliminal message
1*

You forgot this one:

Father arrested over daughter's gun drawing won't get apology

The Sansone family is not getting any apologies after they were put through hell by school officials, social workers and police last week. And, the smoking gun -- a child's drawing that triggered the whole thing ...

but this happened in Ontario, Canada so you may not have been aware of it.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

My daughter is a junior and gave a paper on gun safety and gun policy. It even advocated a gun safety class in schools.

No police or social workers have showed up at our house just yet.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The common event doesn't get reported, only the weirdos.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Machupo

Good job it didn't look like the Virgin Mary that he was eating.

At that rate, she might not have been a virgin for long!

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3436827;#3436827

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2621974;#2621974

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Andy9o8

Flavor of Pop-Tart?
Frosted or unfrosted?

I think it was strawberry. If it was Santa Maria, it obviously would have had to be cherry.
witty subliminal message
1*