kallend

Deficit shrinking

>What will the GOP do?

Economy recovering, deficit shrinking - what to do? what to do? People might start to notice . . . .

I know! Benghazi! Benghazi! Hey you! Don't look at those economic reports! Benghazi! Benghazi!

billvon

>Or have you forgotten the sequestor already

You mean the "Obamaquester?" Yes, that's one of the reasons the deficit is shrinking.

HEY!

You like to twist things

Cant I do it too?

It was kind of fun
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

airdvr

Amusing how you seem to think deficit spending a la Reagan was bad, but what Barry does is OK.

Amusing how RWcs have MASSIVE concern over deficit spending anytime a Democratic administration has been elected.

At no time during any Republican administration has any RWC come out in opposition to deficit spending.

The RWCs consistently neglect to mention that ShrubCo kept the Iraq invasion and occupation, as well as the Afghanistan activities, OFF BUDGET. That is right, those military activities that had hundreds of BILLIONS in direct costs did not show up on any budgets from 2001-2009. That doesn't account for the two trillion or so in long term costs that this, and the next several, administrations will have to deal with. All that money, borrowed from China, for what?

Just think how many college campuses could have been built/refurbished with that money? Educations that could have been paid for? Health care that could have been provided? Good thing we did some regime change and "other nation" building instead of taking care of the USA and its citizens.

The Democratic administration put those costs BACK ON BUDGET, as fiscally responsible administrations do, so as to NOT hide the costs from the average American citizen. The RWCs have used the distorted facts about budgets and deficit spending to convince the conservatards that BAD things are happening.

RWCs buy that bullshit, credulous nitwits that they are.

Anyone with half a clue, doesn't.

In all honesty, there were plenty of conservatives who were pretty appalled at the amount of spending done under the last administration. Not necessarily early on, but the longer it went, the more pissed they got.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

In all honesty, there were plenty of conservatives who were pretty appalled at the amount of spending done under the last administration. Not necessarily early on, but the longer it went, the more pissed they got.

I think it's cute to try to offer balance type posts to funjumper....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

funjumper101

Amusing how you seem to think deficit spending a la Reagan was bad, but what Barry does is OK.

Amusing how RWcs have MASSIVE concern over deficit spending anytime a Democratic administration has been elected.

Sure we do. Not having a difficult time understanding why this would surprise you. it's because we think you spend it on stupid shit, just like you think we do. :S
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

At my age, I'll take cute any way I can :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Awesome! It's shrinking so much it's only a third higher (a couple of hundred billion dollars) than it was when the President took office. Now it's only the sixth highest deficit (inflation adjusted) in history (after 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 1943 (nos. 1-5, respectively).

I personally credit ending the middle class tax increae, end of the payroll tax holiday, and sequester

My wife is hotter than your wife.

airdvr

Deficit spending in Reagan's time =/= Deficit spending now

In a zero-bound economy, not spending increases the actual deficit by dramatically shrinking the economy (see Europe 2009-2013).

Reagan`s economy wasn't zero-bound; it was a matter of rates.
or in other words:
Spending on a boat and spending on a car so you can go to work is not the same spending

If anyone wants to learn more:
-See David Cameron`s austerity (2009-2013)
vs
-Japan`s Abenomics. Big differences my friends :)

Eitherway, after the last Roggoff scandals, even the WSJ is approving spending during zero-bound.

EDIT:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/05/government-borrowing?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/fiscalconsolidation

Cheers! :)Shc

kallend

I am reminded of the bit in Woody Allen's "Take the Money and Run" wherein Virgil is discussing his sentence. Having been given something like 950 years, he expresses optimism that his lawyer could get it cut in half.

If someone was to come up with a way we could pay off what we already owe and get into the black, I'm all ears. So long as we're talking red ink, we are simply splitting hairs regarding how long we have before the economy reaches crush depth.

We are already at the point where, if interest rates on our debt went to historical norms, our debt would consume the GDP.

Then again, I have a hunch that you are skilled enough at that arithmetic stuff that you know this already.

BSBD,

Winsor

lawrocket

Awesome! It's shrinking so much it's only a third higher (a couple of hundred billion dollars) than it was when the President took office. Now it's only the sixth highest deficit (inflation adjusted) in history (after 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 1943 (nos. 1-5, respectively).

I personally credit ending the middle class tax increae, end of the payroll tax holiday, and sequester

Take a look at livendive's graphs and tell us how the sequester produced beneficial effects years before it was even proposed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

wmw999

Wendy P.

Yea, and they voted for OBAMA thinking he'd stop the wars and spending, and now regretting it as Obama kept on what Bush was doing. It's almost like a 3rd Bush term. Really.

Then again, I have a hunch that you are skilled enough at that arithmetic stuff that you know this already.

+1

When you totally accept that 99% of Kallend post are designed around the fact that he perfers to stick it to the right you can enjoy watching what he stirs up.

Kallend could do the same to the left, but he leans left but not by as much as you would think.

He is a master.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

OHCHUTE

***In all honesty, there were plenty of conservatives who were pretty appalled at the amount of spending done under the last administration. Not necessarily early on, but the longer it went, the more pissed they got.

Wendy P.

Yea, and they voted for OBAMA thinking he'd stop the wars and spending, and now regretting it as Obama kept on what Bush was doing. It's almost like a 3rd Bush term. Really.

How many US troops are still fighting and dying in Iraq?

livendive

Going one further than my last graph, in order to accommodate some economic data...

Blues,
Dave

In states that have pursued the economics of austerity as promoted by the right, the result has been continually declining growth. In contrast, the US and Australia, following Keynesian principles, have each experienced economic advances since 2009.

kallend

***Going one further than my last graph, in order to accommodate some economic data...

Blues,
Dave

In states that have pursued the economics of austerity as promoted by the right, the result has been continually declining growth. In contrast, the US and Australia, following Keynesian principles, have each experienced economic advances since 2009.

The U.S, quite honestly, took the middle path between Keynesian and Austerity.

Remember that the U.S followed a wishy-washy path towards cost cutting which hurt them quite dearly in terms of the economy.

The stimulus of 2009 was very little in terms of how much the economy got shocked from the 2008 Lehman Brother collapse.

But, it is better far better than Britain's full-on austerity (which are now looking dangerously fiscally irresponsible).
More budget cuts = More deficit during zero-bound economy.

It sounds counter-intuitive but that's the truth.

Cheers! :)
Shc