rushmc

IRS Criminal Behavior

lawrocket

The current Admin is just much more "fuck you" in it's use.

:D

"The Obama administration - just like that other guy, only now with more sass"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

wmw999

If the IRS thing started and ended at the low levels, .

I just don't see "George in the mailroom" and a couple of auditors sitting around the table and saying "gee guys, ya know what would be a lot of fun? Let's go pick out some political orientation and do stupid and illegal and unreasonably obstructive crap to them just because the current admin doesn't like their subjective political philosophy. Maybe someone will notice and give us all promotions"

does Amazon and Funjumper work at the IRS?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

For anyone who thinks groups on either side were treated with equal disdain:

PROGRESSIVE GROUP: IRS GAVE US CONSERVATIVE GROUPS' CONFIDENTIAL DOCS

Yeah, those questions about donors and other information the IRS has no valid reason to have? Turns out they wanted it so they could feed it to liberal rivals. Good to know that some of them have the guts to admit how wrong it is, even if it benefitted them. (I would have been more impressed if they didn't use it or came forward earlier, but better late than never)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Almost every instance I've heard of in which someone's life was "ruined" by the IRS really did it to themselves by trying to evade the law.

The ones I've seen got into big trouble ignoring the fact that they owed Uncle Sam. I've owed in the past and was surprised to find them very accomadating. Hell, they didn't even notice until 15 months out.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

[Reply]If the IRS thing started and ended at the low levels, then I don't think it rises to constitutional standards

The lowest level data entry clerk - if a government employee - can be a Constitutional violation. Some low-level rookie beat cop misues police data, that can be a Constitutional violation.

[Reply]If there's a concerted cover-up.

I'm not saying there's a cover-up. But, the President's statement appears to be fairly well calculated to give a lot of wiggle room coming from the very top. He said:
"If, in fact IRS personnel engaged in the kind of practices that have been reported on and were intentionally targeting conservative groups, then that's outrageous."

I bolded the "in fact." Why is is setting up weaseling? Because his IRS director admitted it! It is true. It was true. It's known that it's true. And the President himself is casting doubt on it. That doesn't breed confidence in the bona fides of the President. The IRS IG prepared the report. Leaked it to the IRS and the Administrative Branch to do a little proactive apology while waiting for the report to come out.

This is the kind of thing I find troubling. The President himself is setting his administration up to deny that it ever happened when the director says that it did.

Not a cover-up. But - it's the groundwork.

[Reply]the AP issue find more troubling

Yeah. No doubt it came from higher up. Holder's defense that he recused himself from the decisionmaking is most troubling. He knew what they wanted to do and then passed the buck. So he's setting up a Deputy to take the fall.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Gravitymaster

The latest claim is that nearly 500 conservative groups were targeted.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/14/lawmakers-say-irs-targeted-dozens-more-conservative-groups-than-initially/

There goes the "only a couple of dozen" canard.

IT was also known in 2010

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/the-irs-wants-you-to-share-everything-91378.html
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Gravitymaster

It's also being reported that Chris Matthews has lost the tingle in his leg.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/05/chris-matthews-sours-on-obama-164095.html

Mathews has (at least for the moment) left Obama's back.

Is the world ending this week?
Abraham Lincoln

livendive

I think the IRS thing is being blown out of proportion. This was not the Gestapo watching their every move. This was "oh, this looks like political activity...put it in the Need More Information Before Approval" pile. And the organization's were free to carry out their intended activities at all times, they would have just been at risk of finding out they were not tax exempt. Thus, their choices would be to act in a manner that is most likely to prove they deserve such a status, or not act in such a manner, but understand they face a higher risk of having to pay taxes. In all honesty, this is how they should act regardless of whether they got slow-tracked...
On the up & up? No problems
Trying to get away with something sneaky? Risk the consequences

Of course I'm apparently an exception, as I'm not personally afraid of the IRS. I try to file my taxes in accordance with the law, and I firmly believe that any mistakes I might make would be well within the confines of "Ooops, sorry...here's a check to cover the difference." Almost every instance I've heard of in which someone's life was "ruined" by the IRS really did it to themselves by trying to evade the law.

Blues,
Dave

When they ask for lists of students, they get closer to being the Gestapo: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2324716/Document-IRS-ordered-conservative-educational-group-turn-list-high-school-college-students-trained.html
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/report-irs-denied-tax-exempt-status-to-pro-lifers-on-behalf-of-planned-parenthood/article/2529750

Report: IRS denied tax-exempt status to pro-lifers on behalf of Planned Parenthood

Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

http://washingtonexaminer.com/report-irs-denied-tax-exempt-status-to-pro-lifers-on-behalf-of-planned-parenthood/article/2529750

Report: IRS denied tax-exempt status to pro-lifers on behalf of Planned Parenthood

Good. Advocating against health care for women shouldn't be done at taxpayers' expense.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Good. Advocating against health care for women shouldn't be done at taxpayers' expense.

agreed - and PP should be able to operate as a private entity without gov funding

cool - we just eliminated two nuisance spending areas

next

kallend

***http://washingtonexaminer.com/report-irs-denied-tax-exempt-status-to-pro-lifers-on-behalf-of-planned-parenthood/article/2529750

Neither should murdering babies
Abraham Lincoln

It reminds me more of Nixon and his Enemies' List.

Nowadays there's no need for breaking and entering. Just say there's a leak, get a secret subpoena, go for a warrantless wiretap, and say it's needed for "security" and get your info. Then when the shit hits the fan, blame it on subordinates and promise to take steps to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Note: The President just said, "I certainly did not know" about the IRS targeting before the IG report was "leaked to the press." Here he is arguing that he didn't know. Second - he is stating more irritation with leaks. He's pissed that the public found out before he did, which is legitimate, as the Chief Executive.

kallend

***http://washingtonexaminer.com/report-irs-denied-tax-exempt-status-to-pro-lifers-on-behalf-of-planned-parenthood/article/2529750

A governmental entity advocating for special treatment on the basis of immutable characteristics is something I have a problem with. Will the government pay for vasectomies? If not, then it's discriminating.

Focusing on "women" is discriminatory. Therefore, it is placing a content-based restriction. Yours is a world without standards of conduct. You just ratified abuse by a government over a viewpoint.

All that stuff people fear about a bible-thumping Christian President? The reason is because they don't want the bible-thumper doing to them what they would do to the bible-thumpers. You've proven the point, John.

Funny that it hasn't occurred to any of the outraged conservatives that the IRS commissioner when the "targeting" occurred was Doug Shulman, a BUSH appointee.

lawrocket

******http://washingtonexaminer.com/report-irs-denied-tax-exempt-status-to-pro-lifers-on-behalf-of-planned-parenthood/article/2529750

A governmental entity advocating for special treatment on the basis of immutable characteristics is something I have a problem with. Will the government pay for vasectomies? If not, then it's discriminating.

Focusing on "women" is discriminatory. Therefore, it is placing a content-based restriction. Yours is a world without standards of conduct. You just ratified abuse by a government over a viewpoint.

No I did not. I oppose tax exemption for any advocacy group. The govt. (aka taxpayers) should not be sponsoring any viewpoint.

It's a nice lawyerly contortion to equate not giving tax breaks with "abuse".

Every $ in tax avoided by someone or some group has to be paid for by other taxpayers.

The IRS doesnt care about race
That is a good thing I guess :S

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2013/05/16/irs-allegedly-targeted-latino-run-conservative-group/

Conservative Hispanic Groups Targeted In IRS Scandal

Abraham Lincoln

Being a criminal gets you rewarded by the Obama admin

http://washingtonexaminer.com/irs-tax-exemptionobamacare-exec-got-100390-in-bonuses/article/2529899

AND promoted

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/05/irs-official-in-charge-during-tea-party-targeting-now-runs-health-care-office/

No wonder the fall guy does not care
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

I guess he proved he could tote the party line well enough.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun