rushmc

IRS Criminal Behavior

kallend

Let's recap:

The targeting took place under a commissioner who was a Bush appointee.

The Inspector General, a Bush appointee, who exposed it said the actions originated within the IRS.

Seems like a lot of GOP smoke and no fire here.

Ah... so it's all Bush's fault.

You may conclude that. In the absence of any evidence of WH involvement, one way or the other, I couldn't comment.

Yeah and John Gotti never ordered a hit?

kallend

Let's recap:

The targeting took place under a commissioner who was a Bush appointee.

The Inspector General, a Bush appointee, who exposed it said the actions originated within the IRS.

Seems like a lot of GOP smoke and no fire here.

Ah... so it's all Bush's fault.

You may conclude that. In the absence of any evidence of WH involvement, one way or the other, I couldn't comment.

It is already reported the senior WH staff knew earlier this year (at the latest)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I don't disagree with you but your proposals don't go far enough IMHO. How about a flat tax. I'll gladly give our favorite uncle 10% and the state I live in 3%. This can all be deducted from my salary. At the end of the year, fill out a simple form, report the numbers...it should not take even 15 minutes and mail the return in. The flatter the tax the better, then of course we're going to put H&R Block, CPA's and the rest of the usual suspects out of a job. New paradigms bring new situations.

IRS Commissioners serve a five year term to overlap into the next administration. Using the IRS to hassle and silence political opponents has been used since FDR was President to include Senators and Members of Congress from BOTH parties. Here's the bottom line, it stops and it stops now. I expect that there are conservatives and liberals posting in this forum. I don't have a problem with that whatsoever, our origins began with debate and debate continues to this day. No one should fear their government coming after them using the IRS. In the end, however, the blame lies in large with us. We wen't paying attention and we believed this stuff happens to someone else. We are now at a point where IRS intimidation via the imprimatur of our elected leaders has made its way to Main Street on a level too many of us never thought or imagined. The day "we the people" fear the government rather than the converse is a day we need to take serious pause. Eternal vigilance IS the price of freedom...vigilance on the powers that be outside AND inside.

wmw999

My thought is that the presence of those Bush appointees means that it really is more likely a localized stupid & potentially political decision, rather than a Svengali-ish national one. No, it's not Bush's fault.

Wendy P.

Quade, and now you, have made the claim that low level IRS people did this
Well, the very first link in this thread said that is not the case

Now this
You (IMO) care
I dont believe Quade does

http://www.fox19.com/story/22380127/reality-check-exclusive-cincinnati-agent-giving-orders-in-irs-scandal

And this

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/irs-misses-filing-deadline-fails-comply-congressional-demand-all-communications-wh
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***My thought is that the presence of those Bush appointees means that it really is more likely a localized stupid & potentially political decision, rather than a Svengali-ish national one. No, it's not Bush's fault.

Wendy P.

Quade, and now you, have made the claim that low level IRS people did this
Well, the very first link in this thread said that is not the case

It is quite clear that you either don't read, or don't understand, the articles that you link to,

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well
Either the focus groups are showing the Dems this IRS scandal is a big deal

or

They know of some info about to come out and they have to be on the correct side of this

Cause now even the Dems are turning on the IRS

Gotta wonder what is coming now
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Well
Either the focus groups are showing the Dems this IRS scandal is a big deal

or

They know of some info about to come out and they have to be on the correct side of this

Cause now even the Dems are turning on the IRS

NOW? Have you been asleep for a week or so?

kallend

Old news.

Not for the low information voter

So, you are ok with the IRS limiting free speech?

Never mind
I know you are ok with that under certain liberal choices
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Old news.

Not for the low information voter

So, you are ok with the IRS limiting free speech?

Never mind
I know you are ok with that under certain liberal choices

If you paid attention and read stuff BEFORE hitting "post" you'd know my position.

You should try it sometime.

Like this is a surprise

Interviews with IRS agent suggest Tea Party targeting came from Washington

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/02/interviews-with-irs-agent-suggest-tea-party-targeting-came-from-washington/
Abraham Lincoln

Boomerdog

I don't disagree with you but your proposals don't go far enough IMHO. How about a flat tax. I'll gladly give our favorite uncle 10% and the state I live in 3%. This can all be deducted from my salary. At the end of the year, fill out a simple form, report the numbers...it should not take even 15 minutes and mail the return in. The flatter the tax the better, then of course we're going to put H&R Block, CPA's and the rest of the usual suspects out of a job. New paradigms bring new situations.

How? This only explains wage earners. How about business men and other owners? People who live off of unearned income? Someone has to make sure they pay their dues, and the right amount. How about people with combination of both types of income? Foreign income?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Like this is a surprise

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/02/interviews-with-irs-agent-suggest-tea-party-targeting-came-from-washington/

Fox News trying to focus blame on administration? No-- I don't believe it! :S

Sounds like the agent feels like he was being thrown under the bus, so he's doing it back. Who knows what's really going on, honestly.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

LyraM45

***Like this is a surprise

Fox News trying to focus blame on administration? No-- I don't believe it! :S

Sounds like the agent feels like he was being thrown under the bus, so he's doing it back. Who knows what's really going on, honestly.

One thing is for sure
This is bigger than a couple of off the rail agents

I blame it on the IRS
Any admin can use this dept to hassel people they do not like

This way of taxing needs to go away

But it will not happen because there is too much power for washington to lose
No matter which party is in power
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

If you're saying that special tax exempt status for political organizations needs to go away, then I agree.

Is that what you're saying?

No
I am saying a way of taxing that eliminates the need for an IRS
Abraham Lincoln

I am saying a way of taxing that eliminates the need for an IRS

Impossible. Unless you get rid of all Federal taxes, they'll always be a need for someone to collect whatever taxes we have on the books.

- Dan G

DanG

If you're saying that special tax exempt status for political organizations needs to go away, then I agree.

I'm sorry, did you say that any kind of special tax status (either positive or negative) for ALL organizations needs to go away?

I agree

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

I'm sorry, did you say that any kind of special tax status (either positive or negative) for ALL organizations needs to go away?

I agree

As a step, I would too. However, the left does not consider unions political and they would still be able to give money to the Dems

But, if he means ALL orgs of all kinds. The playing field is closer to equal. It would be a good start
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

Again, if you say just eliminate the code for everyone, I agree

Here is an example of one such group

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/06/02/Evangelical-Group-Pushing-Immigration-Doesnt-Legally-Exist

But, in keeping with this thread, there is yet to be one example of a non-conservative group being delayed, or being asked to sign a form stating they will not picket planned parenthood offices related to getting the aproval
Abraham Lincoln

Yes, that's what I'm saying. And I've said it before.

The problem is that it will never happen since both sides (not just the left as rushmc seems to think) have pet organizations they will claim are "special".

- Dan G

However, the left does not consider unions political and they would still be able to give money to the Dems

Both sides are the same, but I know it's not possible for you to make a post without a partisan dig.

This scandal is not about the ability to give money to a cause. It's about the ability to do it tax free and without having to disclose your donors. That's what the organizations investigated by the IRS wanted, not just the ability to operate in the political arena, but to do so while enjoying special tax free status.

- Dan G