funjumper101

West Fertilzer explosion - 1 million dollar policy

Way to go Texas!!!!

Let us all give thanks to the lack of government regulations in Texas. Business friendly climate, indeed.

West Fertilizer company had a 1 million dollar liability policy. Damage from the blast is estimated at 100 million dollars. Taxpayers will be picking up the tab.

Good thing they weren't required to carry an appropriate amount of insurance. That might have cut into their profit margins.

Governer Perry was OUTRAGED at a political cartoon that depicted the lack of government regulation and oversight as being a major contributor to the explosion. What an asshole. No inspections since 2006. A million dollar policy was enough to allow operations. Does that moron need any more proof that the cartoon is ACCURATE?

The citizens of Texas, and the US Government will have to pick up the tab for the costs not covered due to the lack of insurance.

RWCs get all pissed off about welfare when it benefits poor people. How about this kind of corporate welfare? Does that piss you off, too?

Didn't think so...

Way to go, Texas!!! Y'all must be really proud of how little government you have.

we're also proud of our citizens who immediately (and continue to) volunteer to do cleanup, SAR and care work in the area as well as individuals and companies who donate food and building materials to help with the reconstruction effort.

Governor Hair is a figurehead. The TX government limits the power of the Governor quite nicely.

The safety and inspections part... yeah, that's pretty fucked up.

I don't know about insurance regulations... I do know that the risk-avoidance part of my brain wouldn't let me live or build close to an existing fertilizer plant.
--
Rob

Governor Hair is a figurehead. The TX government limits the power of the Governor quite nicely.

But he's been playing the political game long enough to have quite a bit of personal political power, even in a weak governor state [:/].

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

But he's been playing the political game long enough to have quite a bit of personal political power, even in a weak governor state [:/].

Wendy P.

I thought "Governor Hair" was trademarked by Rod Blagojevich.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Way to go Texas!!!!
West Fertilizer company had a 1 million dollar liability policy. Damage from the blast is estimated at 100 million dollars. Taxpayers will be picking up the tab.

There's no company in the world that carries enough insurance to cover the total cost of an extreme disaster in any field - at least in my experience. (massive engineering, construction & infrastructure projects)

Do you really think that design and construction firms carry $1bn worth of insurance in case a hospital they designed falls over? Of course not - the fees required by the insurance agencies for that type of situation would make the system unusable.
You carry insurance for likely costs of a mistake... if the explosion is the result of an exceptional mistake, then the insurance liability was never designed to cover that.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have had more. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been more closely regulated, but implying that they should have carried enough insurance to cover the $100m is overly simplistic.

State regulation says a facility like that cannot have more than 1,000# in inventory without notifying the County Official(s) and the ATF. This particular individual did not do either, never has during the duration of his business. Suspecions have it that meth heads were stealing 3-5 gallons of amonous hydrate ea. 24 hrs, and "Left some valves open. Well if that happened, God help them for not providing the proper security for this facility.

The citizens of Texas WILL NOT have to pick up the bill for the extensive damage for this explosion. The man & wife team that have owned this fertilizer plant will probably be sued to death. Too bad, they're already in their 70's BUT they knew what they were doing was bad wrong, and they're not the only ones who knew it. It's a terrible blow, but that's how it goes.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Either hte state of Texas or the feds will have to pay for much of this, simply because there isn't enough insurance, and I'm quite sure that the couple don't have assets sufficient to cover the damages.

People's homeowner's and business and life insurance will be hit.

But hey -- we trust good people to do the right thing, right?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Do you really think that design and construction firms carry $1bn worth of insurance
>in case a hospital they designed falls over?

Nuclear power plants carry tens of billions of dollars in insurance via the Price-Anderson act. It is paid out by all nuclear power plant operators in the event of an accident. Perhaps something similar could work here - and might be a better incentive to build safer fertilizer plants.

Way to go Texas!!!!

Let us all give thanks to the lack of government regulations in Texas. Business friendly climate, indeed.

Good thing they weren't required to carry an appropriate amount of insurance. That might have cut into their profit margins.

Governer Perry was OUTRAGED at a political cartoon that depicted the lack of government regulation and oversight as being a major contributor to the explosion. What an asshole. No inspections since 2006. A million dollar policy was enough to allow operations. Does that moron need any more proof that the cartoon is ACCURATE?

The citizens of Texas, and the US Government will have to pick up the tab for the costs not covered due to the lack of insurance.

RWCs get all pissed off about welfare when it benefits poor people. How about this kind of corporate welfare? Does that piss you off, too?

Didn't think so...

Way to go, Texas!!! Y'all must be really proud of how little government you have.

------------------------------------------------------
Well you don't live here so why don't you worry about whatever piece of dirt you call your own. In the meantime I'll be over here shooting multiple high powered rifles at pictures of nancy pelosi.

Does that piss you off, too?

Way to go Texas!!!!

Didn't think so...

maybe they shouldn't have allowed the town to expand around the plant over the decades. Sort of like building around an airport and then complaining about a plane crashing into a building...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Wendy P.

I thought "Governor Hair" was trademarked by Rod Blagojevich.:|

That's "Prisoner Hair".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Way to go Texas!!!!

There's no company in the world that carries enough insurance to cover the total cost of an extreme disaster in any field - at least in my experience. (massive engineering, construction & infrastructure projects)

Do you really think that design and construction firms carry $1bn worth of insurance in case a hospital they designed falls over? Of course not - the fees required by the insurance agencies for that type of situation would make the system unusable.
You carry insurance for likely costs of a mistake... if the explosion is the result of an exceptional mistake, then the insurance liability was never designed to cover that.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have had more. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been more closely regulated, but implying that they should have carried enough insurance to cover the $100m is overly simplistic.

C'mon now, $1M is less coverage than I have for flying model airplanes out in the middle of nowhere.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And maybe they shouldn't have kept expanding how much was held in the plant, as well. In a small town, there aren't always a lot of good options, and you tend to trust others.

Blaming the victims is easy, isn't it :|

Wendy P.

Yes. All forms of "we'll cover your sorry irresponsible ass" piss me off. I'm not selective about it.

I noted, though, the "way to go Texas" thing. If you think that the State of Texas is alone in its regulatory authority, lyou might want to look a level higher, as well.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Do you really think that design and construction firms carry $1bn worth of insurance in case a hospital they designed falls over?

$1 billion per each individual commercial policyholder? No. Considerable multi-millions? Yes, especially when considering multiple layers of what's called "excess insurance", and especially when stacking the cumulative insurance held by multiple parties involved in a major construction project.

There are a number of prerequisites to getting a major construction project (a) under way, and (b) completed. Financing is only one of those things; adequate insurance coverage is another. Without the insurance in place, the project does not happen.

Not all of this is pertinent to the West disaster, but I was answering your specific question.

[Reply]Governer Perry was OUTRAGED at a political cartoon that depicted the lack of government regulation and oversight as being a major contributor to the explosion.

Indeed. Because as everyone knows, if the government is involved, bad stuff doesn't happen. [Url]http://www.rgj.com/article/20130423/NEWS/304230053/Memorial-service-honors-7-Marines-killed-Nevada-mortar-blast[/url]

So I guess you were also self righteous when you saw the title of "The Uninsured Relative Workshop" for several years?

What was your rant..........uh........"required to carry an appropriate amount of liability insurance" ? Who will decide how much insurance is "required"? You? How much insurance should a parachute manufacturer carry? I guess you'd know the answer. Your post is silly. A business can decide how much insurance to carry, and even decide not to carry any insurance. Rant away.

If you don't live in Texas why are you even commenting?

Federal oversight would have prevented this. Yay Montana!

[Url]http://www.kbzk.com/mobile/news/investigation-continues-into-theft-of-explosives-at-usfs-facility-near-red-lodge/[/url]

Oh. Wait. This was a federal shed?

In THIS THREAD you recently started, there's one post after another where you bitch about New York's approach to gun laws. Which begs the question: If you don't live in New York, why are you even commenting?

Stupid question, eh?

I see post after post where conservatives who live elsewhere bash New York,, Massachusetts, San Francisco, etc., etc. And you know what? that's OK. So is his commenting about Texas.

Because if the FEDERAL government has to chip in even $10,000 we all have to pay - no matter what state you live in.

$9,999 then the US government will only take that money from the income taxes of those living in Texas.;)

C'mon now, $1M is less coverage than I have for flying model airplanes out in the middle of nowhere.

The way you fly, I'm amazed you're able to get insurance at all!
:D:D:P

j/k, John.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239